on 23 May 2013
I was looking forward to the Spring book coming out for ages because I really enjoy playing the Winter book and Summer one and this is almost as good as those books. Probably one less star because the pieces are not quite as easy to sight read through for me and I haven't had time to practise them all yet to get full benefit from them. I would say the pieces are on average at least Grade 6 and above, there is an easier one composed by Nikki Iles herself called 'Up on the Hill.'

There are a few pieces in this book which I am finding very addictive to play and hum when I am not playing; my favourite being 'It Might as well be Spring'. It is a samba with some great harmonies and fairly complex rhythms. I had to listen to the track on the CD several times to get them right. Everyone who has heard this one enjoys it. The other one that I really like is, 'Spring can really Hang You up the Most' which is a ballad with varying tempos - free time, then slow steady, then double time etc The free time section gives scope to be expressive and put your own interpretation on it. I also like 'May Song' which is a folk song arranged by Nikki Iles.

So, in my opinion, another great book of pieces that are refreshing change from normal jazz standards. I have bought three extra books to give as presents.
on 20 May 2013
Not as nice as "Jazz On A Winter's Night" as four the solos in this book are Nikki Iles own work.
on 8 January 2014
This is beautifully put together with rich chord work.Every song is served-up with more than one expects.The lady is indeed one to savour.
on 19 August 2013
This composer has converted me to learning and enjoying jazz on the piano. Have pre-ordered her next book.Hoping for more from her.
on 6 November 2015
dreadful.A ghastly combination of tunes