5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz On a Winter's Night, 11 Dec 2009
Ms. L. Bowen (LONDON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jazz on a Winter's Night + CD: 11 Christmas classics for jazz piano (Nikki Iles Jazz series) (Sheet music)
Lovely book of winter arrangements and one that will keep you busy playing over the Christmas period! Probably level around Grade 5-6 at times and very enjoyable too. Soupy harmonies on 'Merry Christmas to you' have me all in a swoon! Great stuff - I love Nikki Iles's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Midwinter tingle, 16 Dec 2009
I. D. Graham (Tawe Valley, Wales) - See all my reviews
Nikki Iles is a fine jazz pianist, and also involved in jazz education e.g. as a contributor to the ASM Jazz piano project.
This book falls somewhere between - original arrangements of carols and Christmas songs, each one playing with a different style or artist-inspiration. It's done with skill and affection. The pieces are careful transcriptions of Nikki's playing (on the CD) and while few are 'easy', they're all attainable for at least this amateur, and realisation does give me a feel of jazz under my fingers.
Highly recommended. If Nikki offered more of the same (not necessarily Christmas-themed), I'd buy it sight-unseen.

5.0 out of 5 stars can't wait for Xmas, 5 Dec 2012
C. Cowie "cha" (UK) - See all my reviews
As a classically trained pianist, i wouldn't know how to put together a jazz piano solo if my life depended on it. I was asked to play for a carol concert in our local church and wanted something Christmassy and not too obvious. This book caught my eye and I'm so glad I got it. The arrangements are just beautiful, I can't stop playing them, the harmonies are so clever. around grade 5 i would say. Can't wait to play for the service and am hoping I dare put the jazzy version of Santa Claus is coming to town in at the end! As the songs are not listed in the description, they are:
Have yourself a Merry little Xmas
Winter Wonderland
I saw 3 ships
In the bleak mid-winter
Noel nouvlet
santa claus is comin to town
the Xmas song
O little town of Bethlehem
Balulalow
Sans Day carol
Silent night
Can't recommend it enough if you'd like to sound jazzy and don't know how - comes with a CD too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful arrangements., 21 Dec 2009
B. J. Gabony "Bernard G, London" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is giving me such joy. You can learn the pieces 'from the notes', just like learning classical music. Or if, like me, you have some limited knowledge of jazz, you can also work out the chord structures and play around with your own improvisations as well. There's a really nice variety of styles and I would guess a Grade 5 classical pianist should be able to cope with most of them. I would recommend this book to any pianist who loves good music. Check out the harmonies as In the Bleak Mid Winter develops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another five star review, 26 Nov 2011
Paul Elswood (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I concur wholeheartedly with the other reviewers who have given this book five stars. The pieces are relatively easy to play (around Grade VI standard) and the book comes with a handy CD of all the pieces featuring Nikki Iles on piano. Each arrangement has been influenced by a particular Jazz legend but without becoming a pastiche. Personally, I much prefer Jazz on a Winter's Night to Piano Stylings of Classic Christmas Carols (Steinway Library) and I also think that this book gives better value for money.

Contents

1. Have yourself a merry little Christmas (inspired by Nat King Cole)
2. Winter Wonderland (inspired by Take Six)
3. I saw three ships (inspired by the Modern Jazz Quartet)
4. In the bleak mid-winter (inspired by Bill Evans)
5. NoŽl nouvelet (inspired by the John Coltrane Quartet)
6. Santa Claus is comin' to town (inspired by Paul Bley)
7. The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You) (inspired by Frank Sinatra)
8. O little town of Bethlehem (inspired by Vince Mendoza)
9. Balulalow (inspired by Norma Winstone)
10. Sans Day carol (inspired by Abdullah Ibrahim)
11. Silent night (inspired by Thad Jones)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 22 Dec 2011
This is an excellent book, containing a varied selection of elegantly and sympathetically arranged pieces. I'd say the pieces range from grades 4-6 (3 maybe for Silent Night). There are lush ballads and also highly groovy renditions of swinging pieces Santa Claus is Comin' to Town and Winter Wonderland. I particularly like the subtle changes in the accompaniment rhythm throughout the swinging pieces and the short solo bursts; these touches make the pieces really interesting and gives valuable insight into the world of improvisation - quite inspiring for those of us still stuck on the sheet music but with aspirations to go 'off piste'! Such a refreshing change from the dull arrangements that fill so many sheet music books. I will be looking out for other titles by this arranger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful arrangements., 9 Dec 2010
This is a brilliant selection of Christmas songs and carols, given a very special jazz treatment. I love the way that Nikki Iles has given the arrangements a subtle jazz flavour in a number of different jazz styles. As a classical pianist I am really thrilled to be able to feel the jazz inspirations, all of which can be expanded on or just played as it its written.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful jazz for Christmas, 19 Mar 2014
H. Ashford "hashford" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I absolutely love what Nikki Iles has done with these Christmas songs and carols. Her harmonies and rich and lush and they make such a refreshing change from the usual Christmas arrangements. At under £11 this book is wonderful value for money (with or without the cd!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, 27 Feb 2014
Fir my talented pianist of a brother who requested it for his birthday. He loves it and plays it regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely arrangements, 24 Dec 2013
If you are a fan of jazz carol arrangements then this is the book for you. The arrangements are tastefully done and very nice to play. The enclosed CD is also great for helping with interpretation. I think it would be ideal for a Grade 7 plus pianist.