5.0 out of 5 stars Vive la Very Short Introductions!
Fans of this series of books will know that most are very good, a few are duds, and a fair number are amazingly good. Professor Doyle's review of one of the major events in European history is firmly in that last category.

It is both an account of the events themselves and an overview of how they have been interpreted. The subject is complex and has aroused...
Published on 4 May 2008 by Peter Reeve

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction but interpretations questionables
I have already a growing number of "very short introduction.." on my bookshelf and quite enjoy reading them.
I think its a very good series except for the text font and layout which I am not a big fan. I find them hard to read sometimes but they do have the advantage of being pocket size so handy.

The author has some talent in retracing the history of this...
Published on 16 Feb. 2013 by Eric le rouge

5.0 out of 5 stars A Godsend, 1 Nov. 2007
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The French Revolution: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) (Paperback)
It wasn't until I started studying the French Revolution and realised what a vast and sprawling subject it is that I had to admit how little I knew about it. I realise that I garnered nearly all my knowledge from the Scarlet Pimpernel books which I read obsessively as a teenager. Obviously it won't cut the mustard as a authentic history, so back to the drawing board. It was a relief to find this book. It's concise, eloquent without being too wordy and gives a much needed overview of the subject. It is clear from reading this that the French Revolution is still a very contentious topic amongst historians, and having this gloss on the subject was very welcome indeed. It is a great starting point for showing you directions in which you may wish to carry your studies forward. It has a basic timeline and key events, as well as details on movers and shakers and factions. It covers how the study of it has developed and has some good illustrations. Very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, 5 Sept. 2014
Colin Baker (Saffron Walden, England) - See all my reviews
For me this is a truly excellent introduction to the French Revolution, which allowed me - as a novice to the area - to get to grips quickly with the Revolution as a historical event. Clear care is taken by the author to allow the reader to learn as you go along; no prior knowledge is assumed, yet events are never over-simplified or brushed over. Care is also taken to make this a stimulating and enjoyable read. I am now highly interested in the Revolution, and would thoroughly recommend this text as a starting point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short introduction to the French Revolution, 8 Sept. 2014
Paul Bowes (Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a good short introduction to the subject. William Doyle provides an account of events - a timeline is supplied - but concentrates on the lasting significance of the French Revolution. There is an even-handed discussion of the origins of the event, and of the historiography of the Revolution inside and outside France. The bibliography is up-to-date, as of publication, and a useful guide for further reading. The book is readable for the non-specialist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful, 1 Feb. 2011
I really like this book. It is very short, yet has a lot of information included, including primary sources such as caricatures made at the time and quotes. I found it very useful for the A-Level history course i am studying for.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction but interpretations questionables, 16 Feb. 2013

The author has some talent in retracing the history of this violent and complex revolution in a clear and very synthetic style. However, the style may sound a bit dry and perhaps too academic for some of the readers. I did not mind but could understand if such a book does not please a younger audience.

Altogether, I had a very good time reading this book but I felt a bit somehow uncomfortable when reading the last chapters on interpretatioon, legacy,etc. of the revolution.
Simply, I found that the author was adopting a rather too "capitalistic" way of seing things and was quite negative. Being french myself and more of a leftist, I did not really agree with some of his views.
The bicentenary was a moment of pride in France, a remembrance of a time where 98% of the population was not far from enslavement with a tiny minority benefiting.
Somehow, I felt he was quoting too many enemies of the revolution and not enough people from the left. I would have liked to hear more of what a Lenin would have said on this.

6/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Sept. 2014
Great item arrived quickly in in great condition

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 April 2015
Excellent, a book bought for school

3.0 out of 5 stars Never got around to using it, 26 May 2014
I bought this book to help with my as level in aqa specification HIS1F
But I never got around to fully reading it through
however I bought it because it was by William Doyle and wanted to make sure I knew the basics for my course which this did very well Despite not using it to the full extent I wanted it was good for looking up specific events ie the September mascares and seeing a summary of the event
I would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 8 Oct. 2014
not too bad

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Jan. 2015
Excellent

The French Revolution: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)