5.0 out of 5 stars As simple an introduction as possible, but no simpler
If, like me, you're a general reader with an interest in broadening your understanding of the way we think about the world, this book is indispensable.
Published on 2 April 2004 by AndyB

2.0 out of 5 stars Muddled and hard to read and understand
Published on 8 July 2001 by Bobby Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars As simple an introduction as possible, but no simpler, 2 April 2004
AndyB (West Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Good: A Short Introduction to Ethics (Paperback)
I found the subject matter covered in 'Being Good' to be more practical than in 'Think', Blackburn's excellent introduction to Philosophy. Everyday ethical issues such as tolerance, faith, elitism, abortion and euthanasia demand more attention than questions on, say, the existence of gods or the nature of the self.
Blackburn writes with astonishing balance, subtlety and poise. He draws together, in a coherent, distilled structure, a variety of treatments and viewpoints: he necessarily sketches a wide overview, yet he also manages to include rigorous detail and historical context by quoting directly from sources. At times, he adds modern context by venturing his own original views, but always in a way that gives the reader space to draw her own conclusions. Rarely does an accomplished academic have such an ability to teach and popularize his subject.
The power of the book lies in its brevity. Frequent review of the main arguments results in the gaining of a set of invaluable contemporary thinking tools. So the next time someone says to me: 'That's just your opinion', I'll have a fully developed line of argument against that pernicious conversation stopper, 'relativism'. And for busy people who don't have time to plough through all the literature, 'Being Good' could be the only ethical guidebook they ever need.

5.0 out of 5 stars An elegantly written short introduction to ethics., 14 April 2001
rogermath@msn.com (Prestbury, England.) - See all my reviews
This is a concise, elegant little book written in a fluent, almost conversational style. It is also a scholarly book: the author wears his learning lightly.
The book contains 12 unusual and apposite illustrations, and contains as Appendix the United Nations' Declaration of Human Rights. Part I of this short book is called Seven Threats to Ethics, Part II is called Some Ethical Ideas, Part III is called Foundations.
I enjoyed this book. The book is written concisely, and the author makes his points clearly and vividly. His remarks on the meaning of life (p.80) I found life-enhancing.
The book covers a lot of ground in a short space, and I am tempted to make comparisons with Principia Ethica by G E Moore, Ethics by Nowell-Smith, and the section on Ethics in Language, Truth & Logic by A J Ayer. Simon Blackburn's book compares very well with these three classics. His book is far more readable and contains a number of astute observations. The overall tone of the book is sane and cautiously up-beat.
Strongly recommended !

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Excellent, 26 Sep 2001
By A Customer
Blackburn manages to cover a lot of a ground in a short time, and is scholarly without being heavy. However, this book is often unevenly-paced, and leaves some important questions unanswered. I got most satisfaction from this book by reading it once, putting it aside for a while and then returning to it later.

5.0 out of 5 stars A readable introduction to Ethics, 21 Nov 2001
By A Customer
Blackburn has managed to create an intelligent introduction to the main questions without forgetting that his core readers are beginners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Being Good: A Short Introduction to Ethics (Paperback)
I found this fascinating. Very well written, full of ideas, particularly relevant today. Clearly explains all kinds of concepts and ethical ideas which I hadn't really understood before.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully entertaining little book, 19 Mar 2012
John Cowan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Good: A Short Introduction to Ethics (Paperback)
This is a very entertaining and informative little book. Ethics is not a subject I would normally have bothered reading about but I have found this book really thought provoking as it covers so many topics and questions that are relevant today. A good read and well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect written, very readable stuff, 12 Jan 2011
A. J. M. Broens (Scotland, where else?) - See all my reviews
Simon Blackburn is a genius in comprehensive writing on the psychological subject.
Third book I've read and ploughed trough it, no worries: very good to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug 2014
fine

2.0 out of 5 stars Muddled and hard to read and understand, 8 July 2001
Bobby Elliott (Erskine, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book tries to find a philosophical rationale for ethics - and fails. The book is surprisingly boring for a small book, and I found it confusing and badly organised. I had no idea where the book was going and how the various chapters were meant to link together. I admit that I know very little about philosophy before I started to read this book. Unfortunately, I still know very little about it having read this book. The author's views come across very clearly - which is OK if you agree with them - and a pain if you don't. 'Think' us a much better book.

Being Good: A Short Introduction to Ethics
Being Good: A Short Introduction to Ethics by Simon Blackburn (Paperback - 14 Mar 2002)