5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for lovers of Russian literature, 22 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Oxford World's Classics: Early Stories (Paperback)
Or indeed for lovers of any good literature! I think this is my favourite collection of Chekhov's tales, I love the humourous stories as much as the poignant lyrical ones. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, it's a wonderfully entertaining collection and makes you want to don a fur hat and snow boots and march through the steppes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish all books were this good, 8 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Oxford World's Classics: Early Stories (Paperback)
I'd not read Chekhov until this book, and I shall certainly be reading more of his short stories.
There are something like 30 stories in this short 200 page book, but so many of his stories stick in the mind, and I think I will re-read many. His darkly comic side made me laugh out loud on the train the other day, and I sometimes found myself grinning at the situations he got people into.
Not all the stories are comic; almost all of them seemed to have such realistic characters, that I wonder how many of them are autobiographical?

5.0 out of 5 stars Chekhov at his wittiest, 16 Aug. 2003
R. H. Chandler (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford World's Classics: Early Stories (Paperback)
This well-chosen selection contains a number of stories that are surprisingly little known in the English-speaking world. And, unlike most volumes of Chekhov, it is outstandingly well translated.

Oxford World's Classics: Early Stories
Oxford World's Classics: Early Stories by Anton Chekhov (Paperback - 18 Feb. 1999)
Used & New from: £0.26