5.0 out of 5 stars The Sources of Goodness
Published on 7 May 2004 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Expectations - at speed
Published on 21 Nov. 2011 by jab

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sources of Goodness, 7 May 2004
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Great Expectations succeeds beyond almost all novels of its time in exploring the roots of character and moral behavior. Charles Dickens makes the case for there being the potential for good in everyone. Evil and sin follow from a combination of being self-absorbed and selfish. What is remarkable about the way these themes are handled is that they are clearly based on an assessment of human psychology, long before that field was established.
The book is also remarkable for its many indelibly memorable and complex characters. Miss Havisham, Pip, Magwitch, Mr. Jaggers, and Estella are characters you will think about again and again in years to come.
The book also surrounds you with a powerful sense of place. Although the England described here is long gone, it becomes as immediate as a nightmare or a dream that you have just awakened from.
For a book about moral questions, Great Expectations also abounds in action. The scenes involving Pip and Magwitch are especially notable for way action expresses character and thought.
Great Expectations also reeks of irony, something that is seldom noticed in more modern novels. Overstatements are created to draw the irony out into the open, where it is unmistakable. Yet the overstatements attract, rather than repel. The overstatements are like the theatrical make up which makes actors and actresses look strange in the dressing room, but more real on the stage when seen from the audience.
At the same time, the plot is deliciously complex in establishing and solving mysteries before that genre had been born. As you read Great Expectations, raise your expectations to assume that you will receive answers to any dangling details. By reading the book this way, you will appreciate the craft that Mr. Dickens employed much more.
This is the third time that I have read Great Expectations over the last 40 years. I found the third reading to be by far the most rewarding. If you like the book, I encourage you to read it again in the future as well. You will find that the passage of time will change your perspective so that more nooks and crannies of the story will reveal themselves to you.
If this is to be your first reading of the book, do be patient with the book's middle third. It may seem to you that the book is drifting off into a sleep-inducing torpor. Yet, important foundations are being lain for your eventual delight.
Mr. Dickens wrote two endings for Great Expectations. Be sure to read both of them. Which one do you prefer? I find myself changing my mind.
Give love with an open heart, without expectations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 20 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Great Expectations (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)
I spent most of my 45 years since leaving school doing my best to avoid anything by Charles Dickens, quite why, I'm not sure. A recent illness and enforced idleness had me rummaging around some books I had come by and there was Great Expectations. I thought I'd try just the first chapter, but was hooked from the first page. This is one helluva book! The pace, the characterisation, the plot, the atmosphere, the everything are masterly. But it isn't all misery as there are frequent moments of irony and typically English gallows humour. Outstanding, but it'll make you cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars sad as a Thames twilight, 27 Feb. 2003
Having just read G E for the first time, what strikes me is its infinite sadness and sense of melancholia. While there is much of Dickens`s customary wit and punning humour in the writing, the
impression is of a man in the grip of an atypical desire to express some deep pain, a sadness inconsolable, exemplified in the self-torturing central figure of Pip, growing up in a household dominated by a much elder sister/mother who is forever `on the Rampage` and a long-suffering, seemingly ineffectual uncle/father, Joe, who is nevertheless virtually the one constant source of hope in the novel - a thoroughly good, unlettered yet deeply human man (an almost Hardyesque figure; and it is in G E that Dickens perhaps foreshadows such works as Tess and The Mayor of Casterbridge) who is nevertheless far more dignified and, in his way, proud than he at first appears. He, Joe, refuses to outstay his welcome both times he visits Pip in London, not only from a sense of incongruity, but also a strong feeling of self-preservation,a gentle pride in his own realness - something Pip himself nearly loses.
Dickens`s final, tentatively hopeful chapter, Pip and Estella in the ruins of Miss Havisham`s garden, is suitably downbeat, refusing to allow the saddened reader too much sunlight, even as we are gladdened by the catharsis of self-knowledge so hard-won by Pip over the course of the previous 500 pages.
This is, like Wuthering Heights, The Mayor of Casterbridge or Jane Eyre, one of the timeless, lightning-struck landmarks of 19th century literature, if anything the most regretfully sombre of all of them.
A mature, autumnally beautiful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer joy, 12 Oct. 2011
Didier (Ghent, Belgium) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It took me a very long time to get around to reading Dickens, but then - about a year ago, in a moment of sheer folly I guess - I undertook to read (or reread in some cases) all major English novels since the beginning of the genre. And that, inevitably, brought me to Dickens before long. I have now virtually read every novel he has written (apart from A Tale of Two Cities (Oxford World's Classics) and Our Mutual Friend (Oxford World's Classics)). Some I have liked better than others, all have their merits, but none affected me as strongly as 'Great Expectations'.

Strangely enough, just why this should be so is somehow hard for me to pinpoint. Is it Pip? Perhaps so, to a degree. He is by no means a flawless character (compared to Little Dorrit for instance, or Florence Dombey) and clearly has his faults, but perhaps it's precisely that which makes him so eminently human and likeable. Who among us would not, at the very least, be tempted to ignore poor friends from the past if riches suddenly came our way? But I sympathized as readily with Joe, who with his simple and straightforward principles becomes the very emblem of steadfastness and compassion. And I identified completely with Magwitch: he may be a criminal, but above all he is a father, and being one myself I could immediately relate to his feelings and actions, sacrificing everything for the sake of his beloved child. He may not be acquitted by a court of law, but he fully redeems his sins of the past in the eyes of Pip. And I've not even mentioned Estella and Miss Havisham, surely they too are amongst the most unforgettable characters Dickens created.

'Great Expectations' is of a timeless relevance and beauty. I will definitely reread it myself in years to come, I'm sure it only gets better each time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably his best, 13 Aug. 2003
There are many things to dislike about Dickens. He has a tendency to go for novels of overblown length (one review on this website of his shortest novel ‘Hard Times’ seems to think that bigger means better, which I am inclined to disagree with). His characters (especially the women) are either innocent virtue or wholly malevolent. And then of course there’s the lachrymose sentimentality…
With ‘Great Expectations’ all this gets reined in. It tells the story of Pip, apprenticed to kindly blacksmith Joe Gargery, who is provided with an unexpected opportunity to become a gentleman. He shuns his working class roots and goes off to fulfil his ambitions in London, the primary motivation presumably being his desire to impress the beautiful but cold-hearted Estella.
From this premise, Dickens weaves a simple but hugely effective yarn that contains an important moral lesson. In true Dickens style it is exercised in a preachy manner; but considering the time Dickens wrote it in, it was the only way to get across his radical social criticism. ‘Great Expectations’ has all the positive aspects of the ‘later’ Dickens novels, whilst managing to dispense with the usual criticisms applied to his writings. It is tightly and deftly plotted, but doesn’t take time to flourish into something gripping (hello ‘Bleak House’). There are complex characters too – such as Pip, who is subject to a voyage of self-discovery, and Jaggers, who isn’t as sinister as he seems. Even some of the female characters are interesting, like Biddy, who is sweet-tempered and pious, but not afraid to stand up for herself either. And when Dickens goes for the emotional jugular he genuinely moves you – the chapter in which Joe (the novel’s true gentleman) visits Pip for the first time in London, and behaves awkwardly but manages to emerge with dignity, is absolutely heartbreaking.
‘Great Expectations’ is a novel with acute social commentary, populated with a cast of unforgettable characters and featuring a plot that gets all the more exciting as it reaches its denouement. It is a typical Dickens novel, but one that neutralises the factors that so often blight his writing, thus elevating it above the rest of his (mostly excellent) works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dips in the middle but all-in-all a brilliant read, 23 April 2000
By A Customer
This book is excellent, but towards the middle it does not stay as interesting. That is not to say that the entire centre of the book is not well written it is just not as good as the rest. Other than that small drop there really is not that much more to say. Other reviewers have said none of the book was very compelling but from the very first page and Pip's meeting with the convict Magwitch I found myself reading as quickly as I could to find their next meeting. Amazingly realistic this book allows you to see inside a young boys mind and then watch it develop up until he becomes a 'gentleman' and trys to forget about his upbringing. Sad, witty, and dramatic all rolled into one, this book is a classic and will live on as one of the greatest novels of all time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Expectations - at speed, 21 Nov. 2011
I chose this for a long car journey with the family. Hugh Laurie reads very well, with great voices for the different characters, but he reads fast. Although I knew this version was abridged, I had no idea how much would be cut out - to the point where it was sometimes hard to follow the story. The fast pace and the abridged text made this a more breathless and pacy experience than I anticipated. However, we all enjoyed the story immensely. Next time I will take care to choose a longer version. This felt like a mere taster for someone who intends reading the book, or a reminder for those who know the book already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Expectations, 11 July 2004
Mr John Ryan (Stevenage, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
An excellent narration by Hugh Laurie who captures the emotions and feeling of the characters in this classic book so well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, touching, dramatic, unexpected., 3 Feb. 2002
Don't bother reading this if you are immature. When I tried to read it at the age of 15 with the desire of becoming 'intelligent', I lacked the insight to appreciate its humour. I thought it was 'boring' didn't get beyond the first 100 pages and would probably have given it 1 star at that age.
However, 11 years on, having exhausted all of Wilkie Collins' novels, I decided to give his friend a second chance. I'm so glad I did.
His dark sense of humour comes through the description and interaction of the characters. His dramatic timing is simply perfect and the props he uses sets the reader up for shocks and surprises. He shows us that most of us, like Pip, don't fall into the category of good and evil, but that we are flawed human beings, capable of doing good deeds or making terrible mistakes. The characters cover a vast spectrum, by degrees, from the purely innocent, to likable villains, down to cold-hearted individuals.
It's beautifully written, very atmospheric... from the misty marshes to the dusty, dirty claustrophobic London. I laughed. I was moved. I was intrigued. I read with wide-eyed surprise at the unfolding of events. And I defy anyone who reads this story to forget Miss.Havisham.
If you understand the English language and have a pulse you should enjoy this immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rapturous Moments in Dickens!, 27 Nov. 2007
J. S. Lewison (Bolton, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Expectations (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)
We all need our dreams. We have all fallen in love. Dickens's susceptible hero Pip believes that the 'star' of his dream is the beautiful Estella, because she had been granted to him by his fairy God-mother Miss Havisham, in a rare moment of compassion. Every turn of Pip's first person narration in the novel shouts 'No!' to his interpretation of the world and its tricksy words. Yet Pip's near fatal fallibility and misreading of his expectations humanises him and aligns his desperate romantic hopefulness to our own. Uneasily we admit our own private quests for love, and what a big love we crave after all!

'Out of my thoughts! You are part of my existence, part of my self. You have been in every line I have ever read, since I first came here...You have been in every prospect I have ever seen...You have been the embodiment of every graceful fancy that my mind has ever become acquainted with....'

Pip's incantatory admission that love has engulfed his life is gloriously obsessive and bravely embarrassing. Like Carol Ann Duffy in Rapture: 'When did your name change from a proper noun to a charm?' Dickens's hero gives voice to love's piratical need to ambush all signs of the beloved and claim them greedily for oneself. Pip's 'wonder' in the light of his icy star Estella anticipates Gatsby's 'wonder' at Daisy's famous 'green light' in Fitzgerald's much later novel.

Read and be awed. We all love dangerously once!

Great Expectations (Oxford World's Classics)
Great Expectations (Oxford World's Classics) by Charles Dickens (Paperback - 5 Mar. 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01