5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Introduction to Modern Mathematics
Published on 10 May 2004 by D. J. Wilson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what it's sold as.
Published on 22 Oct 2005 by fluff_eei

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Introduction to Modern Mathematics, 10 May 2004
This review is from: From Here to Infinity (Paperback)
A Brilliant introduction to everything that is modern about mathematics and includes all the latest developments including proofs of the famous Fermat's Last Theorem and the Four-Colour problem. Readers familiar with Ian Stewart will be unsurprised to find his clear, concise and humourous approach to Maths and his great enthusiasm for the subject is portrayed through this book. A great read and brilliant for those who want a readable, accurate yet not too technical account of the latest developmnents in Mathematics.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting, but complex book, 14 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: From Here to Infinity (Paperback)
I read this book last year - at the tender age of 17. When I bought it, I presumed it to be pretty much the same type of book as Eli Maor's 'To Infinity and beyond' - but it wasn't. To be able to read and understand this book, you need to be a capable mathematician - or be willing to let large chunks of it pass over your head - as I did.
Having said this, there are plenty of interesting topics covered in the book - and it opens your eyes to lots of new areas in maths which you never knew even existed. If you're a budding mathematician then you must read this book - though I'd leave it until you're at university.

4.0 out of 5 stars for a bright child, 9 Dec 2013
K. J. Stone - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Here to Infinity (Paperback)
Our 12 year old daughter needs more challenge and this feeds her interest. She attended a gifted and talented course where the Professors said she was way beyond secondary school and we should get maths books to supply the deficit of the National Curriculum. This is one of 4 we bought and she is much happier with her interest inspired.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but found it a little confusing at points, 24 Aug 2007
This review is from: From Here to Infinity (Paperback)
This book attempts to cover every major topic and discovery in mathematics up to the modern day. As a result this book has had 3 editions, each one significantly different to keep up with the times. Each chapter (in general) covers a distinct field of mathematics and covers, essentially, the history of that field up to now.

I just finished mathematics at A-level and I have found this book taxing but still enjoyable none the less. I began to lose track towards the end of some of the chapters because the book appeared to rush through the explanations due to the shear volume of information it was trying to get across. Despite this, the majority of the book is clear and concise with relevant images and diagrams which helps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what it's sold as., 22 Oct 2005
This review is from: From Here to Infinity (Paperback)
This book is paraded as an accessible guide to todays mathematics. Unfortunately, this description is mainly incorrect. Do not buy this book unless you have a good grounding in mathematics. I'm in the 2nd year of my A-Levels, which include maths and further maths, and this is far too hard for me. Also, the style becomes very annoying after a while. The author often says "This tool to prove this was then invented. I can't explain it to you it's too complicated." He then writes 20 pages which are incredbily unfullfilling as you have no real idea what he is talking about.
In conclusion, if you want an accesible mathematics book, I highly suggest you read "Music of the Primes" instead. However, if you have completed you first year of university maths, this book may be a great read for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars a student's perspective, 10 Sep 2006
This review is from: From Here to Infinity (Paperback)
Although I am an extremely capable mathematician for my age, having done my GCSE and A levels early and currently finishing my last chunk of further maths, I found this book dragged and I could not face finishing it. I am currently reading "Pi in the Sky", which I find a lot easier and interesting and I am going to leave this book and attempt reading it again in University.

From Here to Infinity
From Here to Infinity by Ian Stewart (Paperback - 4 April 1996)