4.0 out of 5 stars If you are interested in worss you will love this book!
This book is fantastic. When I was a boy my father used to always say to me when I asked what a word meant 'look it up in the dictionary'. This has stayed with me into my adult life, and encouraged me to learn new words and their meanings. This book goes a further step and shows where words originate which is facinating and provides many dinner party conversations.
I...
Published on 12 Nov 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars isn't it too concise???
Published on 13 July 2009 by Annie Martirosyan

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are interested in worss you will love this book!, 12 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology (Oxford Paperback Reference) (Paperback)
I have also read some of the Chambers dictionary, and was dissapointed with some of the americanism in this book. The Oxford Dictionary is consise and clear in its layout, and a throughly good reference book. My knowledge of the english language has increased tenfold - highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars isn't it too concise???, 13 July 2009
Annie Martirosyan "Annie" (Armenia) - See all my reviews
The book is very concise, it treats words in a shallow, unserious manner as if the reader is not expected to have deep interests. There is hardly a definition which one can find satisfactory. You just have to read a definition several times and make guesses! I have checked up words which I know for sure are Shakespearean coinages, and it says nothing about it! It is a shallow, careless, contentless book, not worth a penny!

1.0 out of 5 stars Etymology? What Etymology?, 16 Aug 2005
By A Customer
A fascinatingly varied and challenging subject is sadly mishandled by the critic T F Hoad, who seems intent on trumpeting his own brilliance and contemporary knowledge at every opportunity, while simultaneously neglecting to add anything that might be of any interest to anyone who is not personally familiar with the critics' foibles. A sad business all round for etymology, which deserved better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Superficial popular dictionary, 11 Nov 2003
Esben Alfort (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
I cannot imagine an etymological dictionary not being interesting, but that stems from the fascinating subject and not from the book itself. This book is very superficial and does not really explain much. If you know anything about the history of language, and about Indo-european in particular, then this book won't tell you much you didn't already know. It traces words to their origin in French, German, Latin and so on, but does not go beyond that, which is a pity, because the older history of Indo-european is the most interesting part.

4.0 out of 5 stars just what I expected, 30 Jan 2013
This was an asked or xmas present. Having done both Latin & Franch at school and having an inter
est in Esperanto and how it was developed I have long been fascinated to know where our language came from and how it has developed. Just what I wanted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Etymology, 4 Dec 2013
Mr. Jeffrey Kershaw "jeffslaw" (Chelmsford, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
You have sent me two copies but it will be useful in the English Language part of my degree course.

The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology (Oxford Paperback Reference)
7.69