5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, simple but detailed.
Thoroughly enjoyable, and highly detailed.

The book begins with a short history on Kant. This includes who his family was, the time period in which he lived, how he was educated and where he lived.

The second chapter looks at the philosophical systems which were prominent prior to his writings - namely Hume (empiricism) and Leibniz...
Published on 4 July 2010 by Mr. B. Shepherd

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the toughest VSI's I've read
My expectations of this book were never towards a light, easy read. The VSIs on Hume, Hobbes and Spinoza were all tough for the general reader, but, with perseverance, not insurmountable. This one, I'm afraid, defeated me. I forced myself through to the end, and what I understood, I enjoyed. Most interesting to me was Scruton's account of Kant's political vision and the...
Published on 5 Jan. 2011 by Steve

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a very engaging writer, 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Kant: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) (Paperback)
The book is readable and ok in parts but I found myself tracking back a lot to re-read sections. It is not always clear what the author is referring to when he uses pronouns. He also could have dropped in some basic examples or cases to demonstrate the importance of the arguments.

So, overall, very disappointing. The author is not the most engaging or interesting of writers. He has taken a subject matter which should have engaged and provoked - and made it thoroughly boring!

4.0 out of 5 stars Scruton has done the impossible., 8 Dec. 2011
Scruton has done a decent job of making Kant understandable to the layman. Before tackling any of Kant's primary works for instance his Critiques, this book is a must read. Many editions of the Critiques already contain introductions but none that I've seen have ever done justice the way Scruton has here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 27 Oct. 2013
J. Mann - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This isn't a huge review - I just wanted to say I was looking for an introduction to Kant as part of an A Level Philosophy course I am doing. At first I tried Introducing Kant: A Graphic Guide but that really isn't in any way helpful, but from reading the reviews of that book I came across recommendations for this book, so I tried it and have to say I was very happy with it.

Scruton writes very well, and makes the difficult areas as plain as can be. I like the way he explains that the meaning of a particular area is disputed so it isn't really possible in many places for him to say "this is what it means", but he can at least give warning that it is disputed, and then say what he believes it means, and that this is a recognised view among Kantian scholars.

The book is also quite broad - we get a summary of Kant's life - then chapters on the major works by Kant - Critiques of Pure Reason, Practical Reason and Judgement, as well as his shorter books, introductions and so on. For my purposes I would have liked more on the Critique of Pure Reason, but as an introduction I can't complain that he doesn't give that special treatment.

The book was actually written in 1982 - I suspect before "Very Short Introductions" began, and so as they sometimes do it is a re-publishing of another title under the "VSI" brand - this doesn't really affect anything as far as I can tell, except there are some references to Communism and Eastern Europe.

In summary, for me this is the best introduction to Kant I have found, although I would also recommend the chapter on Kant in Bertrand Russell's "History of Western Philosophy" (History of Western Philosophy (Routledge Classics)) - I found that very useful too, but obviously it is just a chapter, not a whole book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kant: A very difficult introduction, 25 Nov. 2012
Mr. M. J. Semple (UK) - See all my reviews
I echo the words of a reviewer of another of the very short introduction series: 'too difficult - a philosophy undergraduate would have difficulty in reading this'. I stopped half way through the book as it did not simplify the ideas nor hold my attention. I have read others in the series such as Greig's intro to philosophy but this went no way to simplifying the ideas. I found out later that Scruton fits in the category of one of those people who I would avoid but that by no way coloured my judgement of this book. In the words of anther reviewer: 'goes no way to meet the reader... with that 'take it or leave it' Oxbridge attitude [which I abhor]'. In the case of that reviewer he suggested another text from the An introduction series. Here that would be 'Kant; an introduction (to)' I suggest you look for this.

1.0 out of 5 stars too short, 1 Nov. 2014
This was a horrible read. You can't really squash Kant into such a small book. Brian Magee writes in his autobiography than he and Karl Popper could't understand Kant, and they probably read the Critique of Pure Reason in the original language.

Popper told Magee that he only got the gist of what Kant was getting at after reading Schopenhauer. So I highly recommend Schopenhauer's 'Critique of the Kantian philosophy'. You can get in on-line.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 11 Nov. 2013
Suprisingly comprehensive overview of a series of quite difficult concepts - a great introduction if unfamiliar with Kant and a handy summary if you want to refresh your memory.

1.0 out of 5 stars A very long introduction indeed..., 8 April 2015
If you can read French, try Luc Ferry's cd (and book ) on Kant in the series called "Sagesses d'hier et d'aujourd'hui" instead. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 April 2015
Delivered in good time, was bought for my mum who was pleased with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Feb. 2015
Excellent

3.0 out of 5 stars good introduction, 13 July 2010
bought this for uni studies and it suited its purpose can be difficult to read a certain points thou but overall good if you want to know a foundation of kantian theory

Kant: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Kant: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions) by Roger Scruton (Paperback - 23 Aug. 2001)