5.0 out of 5 stars Boring
As almost all the books of this genre, is what critics believe is nice is worth mentioning, how wrong they are. Many beautiful works are left out and to much flowering round well known artists.

Still, if you need to write thesis and ..... is a good buy
Published on 20 Dec. 2009 by Roxy

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-complex but interesting all the same
I haven't read many history of art books yet and I am working through a reading list to help me to both further and shed a new light on my own art practice and to prepare for university interviews. Therefore it makes it slightly hard to review as I've got nothing as a direct comparison.
Published on 18 July 2012 by ilikejelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-complex but interesting all the same, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Beauty and Art: 1750-2000 (Oxford History of Art) (Paperback)
This book was particularly challenging for me! You really have to concentrate to comprehend this book in the first half, and I kept a dictionary close by and it was well used! The theories are quite complex but constantly referred to and compared with each other and so I think I am going to have to read it at least twice to understand it. It is only towards the end that I feel I am gaining something, but overall I think it is worthwhile. It has introduced me to art historians and theorists as well as using well known examples of artworks which bring some sort of context to the hard-going theories which at times, are quite difficult to understand. It goes in chronological order plotting theories throughout the centuries, perhaps which is why the later theories in the book are easier for me to understand. This book was given to me, but I think I would buy it after reading it (if that makes sense) as it has been certainly thought-provoking and has lead on for me to consider buying other books to read of a similar subject. It would be a fantastic insight if only it was written in plain English, some of the words were not even in my regular-size paperback dictionary, I had to whip out the big guns for the three-inch-thick hard back monster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 20 Dec. 2009

Still, if you need to write thesis and ..... is a good buy

Beauty and Art: 1750-2000 (Oxford History of Art)
Beauty and Art: 1750-2000 (Oxford History of Art) by Elizabeth Prettejohn (Paperback - 5 May 2005)