4.0 out of 5 stars amazon are printing?, 6 Feb 2012
L Slade (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grettir's Saga (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)
I purchased this copy of this title because it is part of my study into medieval Iceland. Now I must start by saying that this is by far the best translation of Grettis Saga and provides a wonderful introduction and fantastic notes. If you are studying this book in translation then this is the one to get. Similarly Oxford simply know how to publish books for students or the interested.

My issue with this edition is that it is printed by Amazon. Usually the covers for these books have a matt finish but this one is quite glossy. Also the best and images on the cover are of a much lower quality than usual. Now again, this makes no difference to the text itself. I do, however, find it slightly disconcerting that there appears to be no information regarding this kind of printing and it doesn't exactly explain why. I assume Amazon and publishers are working together by printing book-on-demand so to speak. But it would have been nice if I was warned of this before hand.

The lack of information about this kind of printing makes me concerned and that is all I wished to raise, so that someone else looking will be aware that they may receive a (what looks to be a fake) from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Many wished him..., 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: Grettir's Saga (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)
This is a splendid account of an "almost" hero, who alienates too many others with his juvenile delinquency and refusal to kow-tow to authority. My favourite section is that in which he fights the ghost of a dead shepherd - "a ghost of more than average malignity" - and pays for the adventure with his future. The incident gave rise to the saying "Glam's Eyes...".. I've always had a soft spot for Grettir, who is SO human, in comparison to some of the other great Icelanders!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Book, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Grettir's Saga (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)
Really enjoyed it although a lot of names to remember! Was the first saga I have read and it has inspired me to read more.

Grettir's Saga (Oxford World's Classics)
Grettir's Saga (Oxford World's Classics) by Jesse Byock (Paperback - 11 Jun 2009)