5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously Exciting Read!
I bought this book on the off chance that my 7 year old son who generally prefers non fiction, may take up reading stories for a change. WOW...he read it in one evening, it had him so captured. A great adventure with lovely detailed drawings and great words such as THWACK! every so often.
We are now on a new adventure and looking forward to many more...
Would...
Published on 8 Mar 2008 by London Mum

3.0 out of 5 stars too good
I thought this book was a very cool start to the Dino cove books. One thing I didn't like about it was the fact it was short.
Published 7 months ago by Daniel Cooper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously Exciting Read!, 8 Mar 2008
We are now on a new adventure and looking forward to many more...
Would recommend for any confident readers who love dinosaurs.The text is an easy to read size and the drawings simply add to the excitement of the tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic adventure!, 3 Sep 2008
A Bloor (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
I came across this book while ordering more astrosaur titles for my son, the only non fiction books he read at the time. He loved it immediately and finished this and the next title in two days. He can't get enough now!
I like the style and am reminded a little of the old Enid Blyton books with the five friends. My son feels drawn in by the storyline and imagines himself in the heroes' shoes. It's been our discovery of the summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dinotastic, 20 Jun 2009
Flighty Rach (Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Do all boys go through a dinosaur phase? Experience tells me they do, and so this author is on to a winner. My 5 year old was desperate to read a 'series' of books... his sister reads the Famous Five and big brother reads Falco, but suitable titles can be hard to find for an emergent reader. These are great, featuring the same characters (2 eight year old boys and their dog like dinosaur accomplice) in the same setting, but with different dinosaurs.

My little son loves them, and can read a lot of the books himself, although I read them with him as they can have some tricky vocabulary.

They are also really informative; I feel my dino knowledge has increased greatly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be true?, 10 Jun 2012
Mrs. L. Hawes - See all my reviews
Although he reads well at school, my six-year-old grandson didn't read much at home. I was searching for something to encourage reading 'just for pleasure' and found the Dinosaur Cove series. The reviews were so unremittingly positive I bought the first two in the series - they had a lot to live up to. On my next visit to the family I read them both to him over three bedtimes - he was hooked! I left both books there, promising to buy more for him to read himself if and when he wanted to. He is now on the fourth book and confessed to me that he hides them under his pillow so that he can read them in bed at night - result!

My grandson has finished all the school reading books for his year and his teacher asked him to read them again and write a review of each one. He wasn't keen to do that so my son asked teacher if instead he could read and review the Dinosaur Cove books. The sample book was duly vetted by the school and grandson is already halfway through his second excercise book of reviews (which he has decorated with the stickers that came free with book 4 - 'March of the Armoured Beasts'). He loves writing about the stories, so these books have encouraged his writing as well as his reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what a read, 27 Feb 2010
This review is more on the series than this particular book, as to me they are all pretty similar

The books follow 2 eight year old boys who find their way into the past and are able to visit the Cretaceous period (65-80 million years ago) at will to observe and interact with dinosaurs whilst having amazing adventures

Since we got the first one 3 weeks ago we haven't read a single page from a book that ISN'T Dinosaur Cove (apart from school homework/ reading) and my 5 year old has chosen to spend his birthday money on buying the next lot of books rather than on toys!!!

He isn't able to read them himself of course but he loves to hear them read, and it is his first experience of chapters and proper stories and he is taking to it really well

Great books

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book for early readers KS1 (age 5-7), 17 Jan 2010
Beansmummy (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
My 6 year old absolutely adored this book which he has been reading aloud to me every evening (he reads a chapter of Dinosaur Cove to me, then I read Astrosaurs to him as our bedtime stories!). Exciting story, lovely black and white illustrations to keep a child interested, and well chosen text, most of which will be familiar to a young reader, but with enough new words (and dinosaur names etc) to stretch them a little.

Just to give you an idea about the reading level/ age of this book, DS is reading at the White book band level, and has found this book possibly slightly easier than the texts he is used to. Probably more boys than girls will find it appealing - the story is based on 2 8-year-old boys - but any dino-keen child will enjoy it.

He is desperate to get the next book, so I've ordered the next few in the series from Amazon! Superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great recommendation, 19 Jun 2009
A Kid's Review
Our class started reading this book after seeing the glowing reviews of the Dinosaur Cove series on the Amazon website. We were not disappointed! It is a very exciting book, full of interesting details for people who like dinosaurs - and a gripping read even if you don't. We would recommend it to people who like adventure stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dinosaur Cove, 13 May 2011
A MUST for all boys who are semi/fully independent readers. My son can't put the first of the series down. He keeps saying 'more mum,more...' and we are now late every morning because he can't stop reading!!! My son is 5 and a semi-independent reader that requires support on a few words. The novels are, in my opinion, great for 6-8 year olds but can be enjoyed by older 5 year olds with the help of grateful and very patient mums...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dino Cove Cretaceous 1: Attack of the Lizard King (Paperback)
This series of books has transformed my son into one who loves reading. Exciting well written adventures involving dinosaurs, what could be better reading motivation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 24 Mar 2011
My husband saw this book mentioned by Richard & Judy on TV as a good introduction for children who needed a little help progressing from "picture" books read to them by an adult to more independent reading.

Our 7 year old grandson has outgrown picture books aimed at 4-6 year olds but has no interest if there are no pictures and I sometimes doubt how much written vocabulary he can actually read.

This book was a huge success. He was enthralled. He could identify with the modern 8 year old boys in the story and enjoyed the sketches in the book. I think he also enjoyed teaching his Gran to pronounce the dinosaur names!

I asked my grandson if he would like the next book in the series and he asked if we could get the whole series!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dino Cove Cretaceous 1: Attack of the Lizard King
Dino Cove Cretaceous 1: Attack of the Lizard King by Rex Stone (Paperback - 7 Feb 2013)
3.99