5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reading confidence.
My 5 yr old son went to school knowing his alphabet, and some 2-3 letter words. They do reading at school, and encourage reading at home too, but my boy lacks confidence and therefore was reluctant to read.
Published on 1 July 2013 by MrsV

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best early reading book
The words are repetitive and disengagingl. Page 1: "I am Top Cat." Page 2: "Am I Top Cat?" Page 3: "I am. I am." Repeat... :-/
Published 17 months ago by Jamie Brayshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reading confidence., 1 July 2013
This review is from: Oxford Reading Tree Songbirds: Level 1+: Top Cat and Other Stories (Paperback)
This book has changed that. Each story (there are 12) is 5-7 pages long, with simple 2/3/4 letter words on each page. Even if he doesn't know the word, he can "sound it out" and gain confidence when it's repeated. He now wants to read ME a bedtime story each night, which is great to see/hear, and it's because the simplicity of this book has helped him grow in confidence.
If you have a reluctant or early reader, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. And even if your reader is confident, it's great to read together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for easy phonics, 11 Feb. 2013
We already have the Biff, Chip and Kipper read at home set but I read about Songbirds on the Oxford Reading Tree wesite. They are designed to be almost entirely decodable phonics - so that as soon as children have learnt the basic sounds, they could work out these stories, unlike many early learner books which still have 'tricky' words that can't be sounded out (like 'the').

There are twelve short stories in this collection, each starts with a page of the included sounds, and any words that the child may find harder to blend. There is a mixture of characters some of which are repeated, like Top Cat and Bob Bug, but it offers a bit more variety than Biff, Chip and Kipper. There's a nice element of humour with the stories too, and the pictures complement the words beautifully.

My 5 year old daughter (a non reader before starting school in September) sat down with this book as soon as it arrived and worked through all of the stories, refusing to put it down! She does like reading but quite often comments that some of her books from school are 'boring'. So I'm delighted at her interest in these ones, and I'm off to order Stage 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 19 Sept. 2013
purchased for my son who has just started school. great short stories, easy for them to follow and he has started to try to read them himself. All in all very impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 7 Jun. 2013
nice easy reading for my 5 (almost 6 year old) lots of stories to choose from and short words 'cat' 'dog' etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 27 Mar. 2013
I really like this book and best of all - my students love the stories and the pictures. It teaches them phonics without thinking! I like Julia Donaldson too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Developmental Aid, 4 April 2014
I bought this for my 5-year-old son to arrive in February of his junior infants year. By this stage he had covered the phonetics to allow him to read this book. The great boon was how well it increased his reading skills. By the end of the second run through he was really reading correctly at a great pace. The art work is of a great standard and are a superb compliment to the simple but elegant stories. It is now April and after devouring both Stage 2 follow up books he is marching through his Stage 3 book with ease. It is a much cherished part of our bedtime routine and the confidence it has given both he and I is unparalleled. Essential for your child's first year of school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect to build confidence in the early stages of reading., 23 May 2015
Bought this book (about one month ago) for my 5 year old who has just started reading at school (juinor infants). She was getting one new book a week to read, it simply wasn't enough, her appetite was for more, more, more.

This book was perfect to fill that appetite. All stories are readable and there is a slight increase of difficulty as the stories progress.

My daughter wants to read the book and has started to look around her and wants to read signs and posters too. Its a pleasure to watch her love of reading and her confidence in her own reading growing. This book has helped to do just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 11 Jan. 2013
My 6-year-old boy, who hasn't learned to read yet, listened to me read this book once. He now reads it cover-to-cover repeatedly by himself. We have moved on to 'The Ox and the Yak' and 'The Odd Pet". As a parent I thoroughly enjoy the illustrations and the stories. I should've known when my kids were hooked on 'The Snail and the Whale' and 'The Gruffalo' that they would love these books too. It was well worth it to have them shipped to Canada.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book., 7 July 2014
This book is brilliant for children that are just beginning to read. It has 12 short stories with 4-6 words on each page, colourful pictures that will make your child ask "what are they doing?" Like my son did. It also has full stops and question marks which are great for teaching your child how to be a good all round reader. I would recommend these books and I will be buying more for my son. Happy Reading :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Jan. 2014
This is a fantastic book and my boy loves it, has really helped with his reading. I totally recommend it.

Oxford Reading Tree Songbirds: Level 1+: Top Cat and Other Stories
Oxford Reading Tree Songbirds: Level 1+: Top Cat and Other Stories by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 5 Jan. 2012)