Published on 8 Sept. 2007 by ELH Browning

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation (and illustration)
Five stars for the fantastic work of Astrid Lindgren, one/two for the cumbersome translation and for the illustrations of this edition.
They say a good translation ought to preserve the magic of the original... well, this certainly didn't happen here. (too wordy, too dull, too insensitive)
And, although all of us at home love Lauren Child's unique, imaginative...
Published on 15 Aug. 2011 by Nadia H

5.0 out of 5 stars Lauren Child catapults Pippi into 21st century childhood. Hurrah!, 8 Sept. 2007
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking (Hardcover)
What an inspired idea! The moment I saw the cover of this I had to have a copy - Lauren Child's illustrations are the perfect accompaniment to give this timeless classic a contemporary twist. Pippi is a `girl power' heroine, a strong self-assured funky little character with her sticking out red plaits and freckle, and an honest independence of spirit and a resourcefulness you can but admire. Instead of parents, she lives with her monkey, a horse and a stash of gold! She has two good friends to whom she tells tall tales and with whom she has a lot of fun. I recently read a borrowed original to my six-year old daughter who thought it was a smashing story. This beautifully produced edition with its frequent colourful illustrations (a red-based palette, so yes you should get a copy for your boys), well spaced words, and cleanly laid out pages feels friendly enough for my daughter herself to pick it up to read and it will surely be read again and again. A triumph!

5.0 out of 5 stars For boys too..., 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition (Paperback)
I don't know who is enjoying this book more - my six year old son or myself. Pippi is a feisty character with a touch of the superhero about her and is as appealing to me now as she was when I was a kid. The book is fun for both of us to read out loud and as ever, Lauren Child's playful approach to image and text is delightful. The book isn't packed with illustrations but this leaves more room for one's imagination to take flight.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book to Read Aloud, 1 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking (Hardcover)
I am a primary school teacher and at the end of the day I like to read to the class. This beautiful edition of Pippi Longstocking sat on my school bookshelf and although I could see that it was stunning (such beautiful illustrations and excellent quality of paper) I was unsure whether it would be the right book to read a class of 30 7 and 8 year old boys and girls. Surely Pippi Longstocking would be too girly for the boys to really enjoy.

From the very beginning of the story I found myself, and my children, enthralled. The character of Pippi, a girl who has lost both parents and lives alone, is a very engaging one. She gets up to mischief, causes trouble and tells tall tales! The book chronicles various adventures such as Pippi Goes to School and Pippi Goes to the Circus.

The stories are full of action and very funny. There were numerous points in the text where I had to stop because I was laughing so much. The children found the book to be funny and enchanting thus it made everyone (children and myself)happy when it came to reading this book.

I would definitely recommend this book, whether it be for teachers such as myself or parents wanting a book to share with their children. I would, in particular, recommend this edition because, in my opinion, Lauren Child's illustratons bring something special to the text. They are more than just pictures to accompany the writing but inventive ways of showing the story.

A must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition - Fantastic Book, 10 Sept. 2009
Bought this book for our 9 year old daughter and she is absolutely loving it. Beautifully illustrated by Lauren Child (of Charlie & Lola fame). It comes with a lovely sleeve and some prints which you could frame.

I would recommend this book for all little readers and their mums.

5.0 out of 5 stars new 'old' favourite, 31 Mar. 2011
C. Cowie "cha" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking (Hardcover)
I read pippi longstocking as a child and saw the new Lauren Child illustrated version and thought that as my kids loved Charlie and Lola they might both be interested, even though its such an old story (some don't seem to stand the test of time). My son is 8 and my daughter 6 and we spent a lovely week or so reading a chapter a night together and there was enough in it to keep them wanting more each day. It is essentially about a girl whose mother is dead and father lost (although it barely dwells on this and it is not a difficult issue). She lives on her own in a ramshackle house with a pet monkey and a horse. The laughs of the story are about how she manages to look after herself in a completely individual and uninhibited way, with all sorts of mad ideas that appear to make sense to her. I think it was exciting for the kids to live in that fantasy of the idea that a 9 year old could fend for herself so spontaneously and flamboyantly - and then also being able to pick out the silliness of her ideas. She is just the right mixture of bonkers, brave, bossy and vulnerable and the two children who live next door, Tommy and Annika, are the perfect foil for her.The pictures, in the end, did not add that much for me. But the story was magical and I have just ordered the next Pippi book for them. can't wait to get started.....:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this now - before it's out of print!, 19 Jan. 2009
A beautiful book. And at a sensational price now too. I paid alot more than it is now as it was intended for a Christmas present for my daughter. So you will have a great deal if you can get your hands on a copy now. I must say, I don't mind having paid the higher amount - the book is worth every penny.
If you - like me - are an admirer of Lauren Child's work, you will not be disappointed. Not just the illustrations are fabulous, parts of the text are type-set in the spirally way familiar to the Charlie & Lola books, which was a lovely surprise. The four (limited edition) prints are quite small - the size of the book - but, if framed nicely will make nice decorative art for a little girl's bedroom.
As to the story: well, Pippi's a classic. And I don't think anyone needs telling that Astrid Lindgren's books are essential childhood reading. Timeless stories, brought into a fresh modern look, I can highly recommend this Lauren Child edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pippi still magical after all these years!, 8 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition (Paperback)
I bought this book for my 6 year old daughter. I remember seeing the TV programs as a child and adored Pippi Longstocking and her antics. The book has few pictures though and is divided into chapters but the stories are so enthralling that the lack of pictures hasn't deterred my daughter one bit. We usually read a chapter together at bedtime and have a good giggle about the things Pippi gets up to. I love Lauren Child's books (Charlie & Lola, and Clarice Bean) so having her illustrations for this book makes it extra special.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever, 1 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition (Paperback)
At 8 o'clock we have with my daughters Pippi time,which not only them,but also me myself enjoy a lot.This is the best book we ever read together.I am going to buy more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition, 31 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition (Paperback)
My daughter loves Lauren Child but has outgrown her stories. This fabulous book allows her to develop her reading but still be delighted by the illustrations throughout the book which bring the story to life. It is a must for any young reader with a passion for Lauren Child. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - pure indulgence for childish and adult(ish) imagination, 2 Jan. 2012
Mr. G. And Mrs Aratoon "Jayge" (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition (Paperback)
My 5 year old daughter and I have read a chapter of this every night since father Christmas delivered this to her stocking.
Every part of it beautifully catches childish fantasy with improbable and unbounded fun! We have enjoyed her charming police chase, her stories from far flung places and working out the difference between truth and lies. We have concluded that for Pippi there is no malice intended or resulting problems with her stretching or fabricating the truth, for this is how she explores the world, and we enjoy such intense laughter and wonder on the journey through her stories. This book allows children to explore norms and the boundaries of bad behavior in a way that leaves parent it confident with that exploration. It allows parents to forget their parental boundaries and hang ups and unites parent and child in a common understanding, exploring reality in an unreal setting which liberates you from actual realities and therefore fears. How many books can do that? Also Pippi thinks freckles are beautiful which is good for me!

I am off now to attach two scrubbing brushes to the soles of my feet and will spend the next ten minutes cleaning the kitchen whilst pretending to be a roller skater swishing around in near to boiling water.... Ingeniousness personified...Pippi Longstocking

Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition
Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition by Astrid Lindgren (Paperback - 2 Sept. 2010)