Published on 8 Sep 2007 by ELH Browning

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation (and illustration)
Five stars for the fantastic work of Astrid Lindgren, one/two for the cumbersome translation and for the illustrations of this edition.
They say a good translation ought to preserve the magic of the original... well, this certainly didn't happen here. (too wordy, too dull, too insensitive)
And, although all of us at home love Lauren Child's unique, imaginative...
Published on 15 Aug 2011 by Nadia H

5.0 out of 5 stars Lauren Child catapults Pippi into 21st century childhood. Hurrah!, 8 Sep 2007
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
What an inspired idea! The moment I saw the cover of this I had to have a copy - Lauren Child's illustrations are the perfect accompaniment to give this timeless classic a contemporary twist. Pippi is a `girl power' heroine, a strong self-assured funky little character with her sticking out red plaits and freckle, and an honest independence of spirit and a resourcefulness you can but admire. Instead of parents, she lives with her monkey, a horse and a stash of gold! She has two good friends to whom she tells tall tales and with whom she has a lot of fun. I recently read a borrowed original to my six-year old daughter who thought it was a smashing story. This beautifully produced edition with its frequent colourful illustrations (a red-based palette, so yes you should get a copy for your boys), well spaced words, and cleanly laid out pages feels friendly enough for my daughter herself to pick it up to read and it will surely be read again and again. A triumph!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this now - before it's out of print!, 19 Jan 2009
A beautiful book. And at a sensational price now too. I paid alot more than it is now as it was intended for a Christmas present for my daughter. So you will have a great deal if you can get your hands on a copy now. I must say, I don't mind having paid the higher amount - the book is worth every penny.
If you - like me - are an admirer of Lauren Child's work, you will not be disappointed. Not just the illustrations are fabulous, parts of the text are type-set in the spirally way familiar to the Charlie & Lola books, which was a lovely surprise. The four (limited edition) prints are quite small - the size of the book - but, if framed nicely will make nice decorative art for a little girl's bedroom.
As to the story: well, Pippi's a classic. And I don't think anyone needs telling that Astrid Lindgren's books are essential childhood reading. Timeless stories, brought into a fresh modern look, I can highly recommend this Lauren Child edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars For boys too..., 11 Nov 2010
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition (Paperback)
I don't know who is enjoying this book more - my six year old son or myself. Pippi is a feisty character with a touch of the superhero about her and is as appealing to me now as she was when I was a kid. The book is fun for both of us to read out loud and as ever, Lauren Child's playful approach to image and text is delightful. The book isn't packed with illustrations but this leaves more room for one's imagination to take flight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pippi amazing, 16 Jan 2011
MRS (Crewe, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition (Paperback)
I bought this book for my 7 year old daughter having fond memories of reading the stories myself as a child. The book is square and almost A4 in length - and is beautifully written and illustrated. My daughter - who does have an advanced reading age adores the book. I thought the book made a marvellous gift and was great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Lola, you will LOVE Pippi!, 2 Feb 2008
I have been reading Pippi Longstocking to my 4 year old, and keeping her up late - we can't get enough of it! If you love the cheekiness and quirkiness of Charlie and Lola, then you will adore Pippi. It's hard to believe that this book was written over 60 years ago, you can certainly see where Lauren Child got her inspiration from! Lauren's illustrations suit this story perfectly. It is an absolute classic and a real gem. I will be buying copies for all my daughters' friends 5th birthdays!!! I just really hope that the publishers will bring us lots more Astrid Lindgren classics, illustrated by Lauren Child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 10 Nov 2011
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition (Paperback)
I bought this for my daughter after her teacher had been reading it to her in class. She was so captivated by the story and asked for it for her birthday and it has not disappointed. She loves the stories of Pippi's adventures and adores the illustrations which go with them. I would definitely recommend this book. My daughter is 8 yrs old but it would be great to read to younger children also who are unable to read it for themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book to Read Aloud, 1 Feb 2009
I am a primary school teacher and at the end of the day I like to read to the class. This beautiful edition of Pippi Longstocking sat on my school bookshelf and although I could see that it was stunning (such beautiful illustrations and excellent quality of paper) I was unsure whether it would be the right book to read a class of 30 7 and 8 year old boys and girls. Surely Pippi Longstocking would be too girly for the boys to really enjoy.

From the very beginning of the story I found myself, and my children, enthralled. The character of Pippi, a girl who has lost both parents and lives alone, is a very engaging one. She gets up to mischief, causes trouble and tells tall tales! The book chronicles various adventures such as Pippi Goes to School and Pippi Goes to the Circus.

The stories are full of action and very funny. There were numerous points in the text where I had to stop because I was laughing so much. The children found the book to be funny and enchanting thus it made everyone (children and myself)happy when it came to reading this book.

I would definitely recommend this book, whether it be for teachers such as myself or parents wanting a book to share with their children. I would, in particular, recommend this edition because, in my opinion, Lauren Child's illustratons bring something special to the text. They are more than just pictures to accompany the writing but inventive ways of showing the story.

A must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyed by my daughter and me!, 7 May 2012
This review is from: Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition (Paperback)
I was looking for a 'proper' book to read my 5 yr old daughter (rather then Rainbow blimmin' Fairies) and this was suggested. It was a MASSIVE hit. She paid attention, eagerly looking forward to going to bed to hear more and could remember what had happened previously. Also the illustrations were loved as my daughter was/is a fan of Charlie & Lola. I had not read Pippi as a child myself and therefore I really enjoyed reading it too. Was surpised how 'anarchic' Pippi is - especially as written in 1945!

Stella, 5 says: "I like that the fact that she says 'Oh No What A Idiot I am' because my brother and sister say that and I like it because she has pig-tails and I love the story. I like that Pippi rides a horse and has a pet monkey called Mr Niellson who is tiny"

5.0 out of 5 stars Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition - Fantastic Book, 10 Sep 2009
Bought this book for our 9 year old daughter and she is absolutely loving it. Beautifully illustrated by Lauren Child (of Charlie & Lola fame). It comes with a lovely sleeve and some prints which you could frame.

I would recommend this book for all little readers and their mums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter loved Pipi, 7 Oct 2009
J. McGuigan - See all my reviews
My 6 year old daughter just loved this wonderful book and I enjoyed escaping into the quirky world with her!

Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition
Pippi Longstocking Gift Edition by Astrid Lindgren (Paperback - 2 Sep 2010)