5.0 out of 5 stars Christening Gift
Published on 16 Oct. 2010 by Ms. F. Connell

1.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as expected
Published on 10 Jan. 2009 by Karen

1.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as expected, 10 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Oxford Book of Story Poems: 2006 Edition |a 2006 ed. (Paperback)
Not really sure what to make of this book. I wanted a book of poems to read to my daughter. Looking at the index I recognised some of the poets but not many of the titles of the poems but decided to give it a try anyway. When it arrived I found the majority of the poems were not suitable for children. The illustration on the front indicates that it is a children's book but I can't believe it is appropriate for the suggested age range of 4 - 8 unless you are raising a child prodigy. Not recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christening Gift, 16 Oct. 2010
I first discovered this book whilst training to teach English. The best piece of advice my mentor gave me was to get a good well illustrated poetry book. I could not have found a better example and it has lasted me well through my teaching career thus far. I was delighted to find a whole host of treats all inside this one volume. From the Jabberwocky to Noah's Ark it holds so many childhood favourites with works from most of my favourite poets. When I was asked to be godparent I couldn't think of a better christening gift. As for the reviews which suggest that this is unsuitable for children, what a load of rubbish! I enjoyed most of these poems as a child, even before I could read them independently I enjoyed hearing them read to me and learnt many by heart. Unless you believe in dumbing down children's literary experience his is a deserving read for adults and children alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book wrongly classified, 14 Feb. 2009
Don't buy this book for your 4-8 year old - what are Amazon thinking of? Buy it for your 8-12 year old. Any older and they'll think it looks babyish because it's illustrated (and the title), but it's full of brilliant poems which will bring them pleasure all their lives if you can get them hooked.

The Oxford Book of Story Poems: 2006 Edition |a 2006 ed.
The Oxford Book of Story Poems: 2006 Edition |a 2006 ed. by Christopher Stuart-Clark (Paperback - 5 Oct. 2006)