5.0 out of 5 stars Stealing Phoenix stole my heart!
Ever since I finished Finding Sky, I was dying to have more from Joss Stirling and the Benedict boys. I couldn't have been more excited when Stealing Phoenix got delivered!

Published on 17 Sept. 2011 by Fiction_Fan

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Definitely more early teen than Young Adult. Not enough colour or sparkle to engage. I only read both books because I picked them up cheap, and even then I wish I hadn't bothered with the second one. Serves me right for buying two books before I knew whether to believe the blurb or not. These are very young in the style - even having both first person narrators look in...
Published 1 month ago by Raven Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars Stealing Phoenix stole my heart!, 17 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Stealing Phoenix (Paperback)

What I love about this book, even though it is technically part of a series, it also works really well as a stand alone. There may be a little confusion when it comes to figuring out what Savants/ Soulfinders are but other than that, you don't really need the previous book, Finding Sky for anything. While the Soulfinder aspect is great, this book works just as well if you take that out, although it obviously strengthens the story.

I was really glad to see that this book was set in London, rather than in Wickenridge, Colorado again. It isn't that I didn't like that setting but I think changing the scenery gave this book a whole different feel to go with the new voices of Phoenix and Yves. This also gives the readers from the UK a big advantage by knowing a large amount of places mentioned in the capital. I really enjoyed the London setting and I could really feel myself going where Phoenix and Yves do and to have that feeling of familiarly throughout.

Phoenix (Phee for short) was a wonderful main character. Her life is not easy at all and she has had a lot to deal with for only being a teenager. Knowing no other life than that of the Community, Phee gets on with life as best she can, by doing the jobs the Seer gives her. Although in some ways, Phee is ruled by other people, she still has a strong voice of her own and isn't one to back down from a fight. I loved how spunky and strong Phee was even though she had so much going on. Her fighting spirit certainly made me love her to pieces and to route for her from the very beginning. I also really liked the journey that Phee went on throughout the book in the sense of finding out/ realising who she really is.

Joss Stirling has a fantastic ability to create swoon-worthy teenage guys. As much as I loved Zed from the previous book, Yves has completely knocked him out of view. As a very intelligent guy, Yves had a lot going for him. Not only is he extremely good looking, he is smart beyond the average, isn't afraid to show his geeky side and is very confident in himself. I loved everything about Yves as soon as he appeared on the page. He was charismatic and funny but also sensitive and caring when he needed to be. If Yves were real, I would go to London right now, track him down and attempt to steal him away myself!

It was good to see characters from Finding Sky appear in this book. As much as I enjoyed Phee and Yves' story, I was happy to see some of the Benedict family make an appearance and to help out. Stealing Phoenix gives some insight into what may come in future books from Joss Stirling and into what the other brothers may be like in their own books. Not only were the reoccurring characters good but also the new characters. With people like the Seer, Dragon and Unicorn, this book was never going to be boring. The Community as whole provides a lot of mystery and action throughout which made the pacing perfect. There are some really good fast paced parts that were mixed well with slower, more sensitive parts when it came to Phee and Yves.

I was a little worried that I wasn't going to like this book as much as Finding Sky but infact, I liked it a hell of a lot more. If you thought that Zed was the brother for you, be prepared to think again!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this book :), 7 Sept. 2011
R. W. Owen (Great Britan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stealing Phoenix (Paperback)
when i read the first book in this series, finding sky i loved it. when i learnt that there was going to be a second book in the series about the next brother, yves and his soulfinder, phoenix i was ecstatic and couldn t wait to get my hands on the book!!!!!!! I can safely say i wasn't dissapointed, i literally couldn't put this book down and loved it even more than the first book!!!
The world of savants is so extraordinary and i wish i was one! I can t wait for the next book in the series and hope there's a book for every brother because that would be brilliant!!!
When phoenix meets yves in the book, she s stealing something from him from orders from the community, and when they meet again they both realise that they are soulfinders and destined to be together. the story takes us through the very hard but incredible time yves goes through to help phoenix and to try and rescue her from the community even though phoenix struggles to believe that yves really loves her and thinks he s only with her because they're soulfinders.
I can say that this book will leave you on the edge of your seats wanting more and i couldn't believe what happened at the end of the book because i clearly didn't expect what happened :) i just hope that we get to see what happens to phoenix and yves in the next book when we follow xav s story because i can safely say they are my favourite couple of the benedict brothers!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Second Book!, 11 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Stealing Phoenix (Paperback)
I will start my review by saying I really loved this much like I did Finding Sky. I will definitely read any more books Joss Stirling writes. I can see myself enjoying all of her books.

I loved the plot to this book. It was much more clever than Finding Sky's. But I admit I actually preferred Finding Sky overall. I am English but I preferred the story to be set in Colorado. Also I think I took a lot more to Sky and Zed's characters rather than Phee and Yves'.

This book was truly gripping! I read it in 2 days, I think I could of read it in one go but didn't have the time. When I wasn't reading it I kept thinking about it. Reading it every chance I got at work.

If you are wondering whether this is a sequel to Finding Sky. It isn't. But it is based around the same Benedicts family and Sky is in it as well. I believe its supposed to be based about a year later than Finding Sky. There are lots of references which you need to of read the first book to understand. Such as "Savant Net", "Soulfinder" and that type of thing. I don't think you would fully understand all the terms unless you read Finding Sky.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear of the London Olympics in this book.

I think with this story it was the right length. Unlike Finding Sky, which in my opinion could of gone on a lot longer. I hate to compare all the time, but you just do.

I have bought Seeking Crystal which is the third of the series. I can't wait to start reading it. I hope its based in Colorado like the first book. It will be interesting to read who Crystal's soulfinder will be in the Benedict family. I haven't even read the blurb for it so I have no idea how it's going to go.

Great read! I would read again and definitely recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Meet Soulfinder 2 - Phoenix the thief..., 5 Jan. 2013
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stealing Phoenix (Paperback)
Book 2 brings us unsurprisingly another brother discovering his soulfinder and Stirling has still managed to keep us enthralled. So we all know know from Zed and Sky that finding your soulfinder is an amazing and beautiful thing but that doesn't come without it's fair share of fighting to prove the love and this instalment pushes it even further. While we seen the troubled background that Sky had come from it is no surprise that is not going to be an easy ride for Yves when he meets Phoenix who happens have an even worse background that she is still enduring.

Phoenix, is a thief who lives in `the community' which in this case is a group of savants who are all living under the radar in fear of their master; The Seer. He exerts control and loyalty among the community and makes it that every member however young or old has to come back with a haul of goods each day in return for their safety and place there. While Phoenix doesn't like the life style, like many, she has no other option or believes their isn't one that is until she meets Yves.

Asked to target Yves on a science convention he has taken to England on Geoscience, Phoenix tries to use her gift to steal from Yves just like any other day. Easy. But this time she fails and comes back with a burned hand and consequences to show for it. What transpires next is another attempt to steal from Yves since the Seer has made this clear and she has no choice but when she and him collide in a battle of wits and gifts, Yves realises that Phoenix is his soulfinder.

While not believing in the fairytale, or not wanting to, we warm to Phoenix and her hard exterior as she knows no different and doesn't want to bring herself to hope the stories her mother told her before she died may actually be true about a soulfinder. While attracted to Yves but failing again to steal from him, she has no choice but to return empty handed. Again.

And when the Seer learns of this new development in her life, Yves soon becomes the pawn in a game of cat and mouse which tests both Phoenix and Yves new found love to the limit while trying to take down the Seer and his cronies. With the manipulative powers the Seer possesses and Yves unable to share with Phoenix what the plan is, getting Phoenix free of that life becomes harder and more dangerous than he could have ever imagined...

Another gripping addition to the series by Stirling which shows Phoenix as a savvy Oliver Twist, has twists, turns, red herrings, romance and of course the handsome Benedict brothers to the lot. While from the format of the last book we all kind of roughly know what the outcome will be in the end, but it is the fun in-between piecing together how it comes to be that makes the book so good. And the ending I just didn't see coming! I hardly put it down. Or can hardly wait to see which brother is next in line to meet his soulfinder!

Book 3 is out; Seeking Crystal and mines is on it's way!

Cassandra220689

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling yet romantic, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Stealing Phoenix (Kindle Edition)
Review: This is now the third book I have read by author Joss Stirling, i find her writing really easy to get into with plenty of pace and boy can she write a good action scene. I'm not normally one for action, in my films or my books but the way the action is interspersed with romance in Stirling's novels is so refreshing, i find myself really enjoying characters being held at gunpoint, ruining from fire or sneaking in a quick punch to the ribs whilst their attacker isn't looking!

This novels brings you right into the action with eponymous protagonist Phoenix setting up one of the famous Benedict in order to rob him. We learn that phoenix is a criminal in a gang, a bit like a modern day Oliver and the other boys. Now again, this isn't normally something i would like, but not a lot is focused on the actual criminal underworld, instead the focus is her friendship with Yves, the second youngest of the Benedict boys. One of the things I really liked about this book was the fact that the Benedict family are returning characters from Finding Sky, a book which i absolutely stormed through and recently reviewed. Its nice that this wasn't a sequel, but you still got to find out what happened to Sky and Zed after Finding Sky finished. It doesn't really tell you how long its been and so this series is really refreshing, a sequel without being a sequel.

I found Phee frustrating as a character but could totally identify with her lack of trust, i liked that she wasn't the usual female character that trust men unconditionally, i think her street smarts were really endearing and she is a tough cookie of a heroine. Yves as a character, of course, is lovely, he's one of a group of very lovely brothers. The mysticism in these books interests me. I'm not normally a fan of magic and mysticism, but like the action, there is just enough in these books to make for something different a exciting to read, without being too overwhelming. So if you're not a fan of novels featuring something slightly paranormal, or slight fantasy, this is definitely something you will still enjoy. The same goes fro the action. There also isn't too much romance in the novel, it has the perfect balance of all these elements, leading to a really entertaining end.

I loved the ending of this book, it doesn't wrap everything up, but leaves you wanting a little bit more. I'm a fan of this kind of ending, and of course I have the next novel in the series ready to go so that's all fine by me. This books is a really fun easy read that will appeal to many different audiences, just enough romance, mysticism and action to satisfy most palates. Whether you've read this author before or not, and whether you've read the first in this series, you will still be able to enjoy this book on its own merits and find something in there to love!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joss doesn't disappoint with this instalment., 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Stealing Phoenix (Paperback)
"Who would think my soulfinder would turn out to be a thief?" I went very still. Soulfinder? He had to be joking. That was a fairytale.

British author Joss Stirling completely blew me away with her first novel `Finding Sky' and yes; she's done it again with `Stealing Phoenix'. This series is definitely fast becoming one of my favourites.

This time around we see the life of another brother Yves Benedict. Yves is a savant, someone with special gifts and also an American student visiting London. While on his trip to London, unknown to him he's being targeted by a young girl named Phoenix who has her own gifts. When Phoenix gets told by her community to make Yves her next mark, she soon runs into trouble when Yves quickly realises she's using Savant powers and not only that, but she's his soulfinder. Soon their quickly swept up into a whirlwind and dangerous romance, when the head of Phoenix's community tries to use Yves for his own games.

If you haven't started this series then I recommend you start it! It's absolutely amazing and everyone I speak to loves it just as much as me. Joss Stirling is such a talented writer with her imaginative storylines, exciting and fast paced plots which are thrilling and full of suspense. Any person who loves a good romance story.....then this is the book for you. It's full of loving and touching scenes that is enough to make you fall in love with it.

Our characters this time around were amazing. Yves is another hot brother to drool over and even though Yves is supposed to be the geeky brother, because he's so into computers, he was still very deeper character. I felt everything that Yves felt for Phoenix even though the story it's told in Phoenix's point of view. Now Phoenix, she's technically a thief but she's still a loveable character, one who is quiet sassy and vulnerable. I think Joss did a fantastic job portraying the rich and the poor during this story and it reflects really well on both characters.

I have to admit there was not one bad point about this book. I really loved that Zed & Sky made an appearance and loved that their relationship is as strong as ever. Honestly, everything was fantastic and I'm excited to see were Joss now takes the next story. I can only assume that it will be from Xav's point of view? Well, I hope so because I love him. My fingers are crossed and I'm eagerly awaiting the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must read book, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Stealing Phoenix (Paperback)
When I first heard the second book in the Soul Finder series was coming out I had my doubts, with a book like Finding Sky I had no idea how such a powerful book could be excelled, oh and how I was mistaken.

Stealing Phoenix is the second novel in the soul finder series, like the first one it features a savant Benedict boy, this time Yves (next up in the alphabet in transcending order) but before we get to the boy we must first get to the girl, in this case we know the name from the tile, Phoenix and much like Finding Sky the verb in the title has much to do with the book, but we don't want to give too much away.

The novel begins at what is to be a the centre of the world in the next upcoming months, the Olympic stadium, this for me was a brilliant setting point, we know right from the beginning that this is an important place for an important story that is about to happen. And unlike the first novel set in America, Stealing Phoenix has been set in London, a great change of scene and we get to see the benedict boys in London for the first time.

But from reading Finding Sky (which is not important for you to read to enjoy Stealing Phoenix, but I would still recommend it) you would see that the meeting of Sky and Zed takes I longish time, this need time to get in and explain about savant culture and soulfinder rules. So in stealing phoenix it was a surprise to see our two main chapters interacting with each other on the first and second page, but let me tell you this was brilliance at its core. This brought so much suspense to the book, Phoenix or Phee shall we call her, is sneaking into the Olympic stadium and watching her target, now before we even get to the love story (which in my opinion is the best bit) we can see has elements of a spy novel so secretive, so sly that you have to read on to know what's happening, but calling it a spy novel would not be fitting of the book, it will always be a love story.

Then we read the first line, and it really just sets of the whole book, `the boy seemed the perfect target' how beautiful, this girl looking out in a crowd of so many other people has found her perfect target, out of a whole crowd of people she picks him and only him, does this suggest something, you need to read it and find out.
Read this book, if you don't you will surly regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and recommended, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Stealing Phoenix (Kindle Edition)
I read this because I loved Finding Sky, and this book did not disappoint! It can be read as a standalone novel too, and that was good, as I didn't have to revise what I knew beforehand!

Phoenix is a bit of a messed up character, and because of how she's been brought up, she finds it hard to love Yves. She is a good narrator for the story! The name Phoenix also fits in with the theme of odd and natural names for the characters! Yves is also an interesting character, and I like how both characters have faults - I can relate to them, which I like the idea of (considering they both have magical powers)!

Overall, I really enjoyed reading it! I read it really quickly. There's nothing rude in it, so it's suitable for teens and adults! Anyone who likes supernatural-esque plots, but without the usual fighting-gore-vampire scenario, will love it! I am definitely going to read Seeking Crystal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stealing Phoenix, 23 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Stealing Phoenix (Paperback)
Phoenix belongs to a gang of Savant thieves called The Community where you cannot leave, however, when she steals from Yves she discovers that they are each other's Soulfinder, but can she learn to trust someone or will Yves have to betray his entire family to be with Phoenix. Stealing Phoenix is just as good as Finding Sky with a girl with a hard upbringing and a guy who will do anything for her. If I have one complaint is that the romance was a bit too quick as they did not know each other that long. I would recommend this to people who like YA paranormal romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book in my library!!!!, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Stealing Phoenix (Kindle Edition)
before i start can i just say this book is very inspiring and my fav out of her three books!!!

i read finding Sky and loved it! I couldn't find a fault!
i found it exciting and a really light hearted read, it's the kind of book you can flip to a random page and just read. there isn't many books you can do that with.
As soon as i found out about this book i sent out to get it, i was itching to read the book because - every one has to love a good thief! The story line is fab and the characters lovable.

i don't know what else to say without giving it away!

if your considering buying this book please do, it really won't disappoint you!

Stealing Phoenix
Stealing Phoenix by Joss Stirling (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01