5.0 out of 5 stars The best book of 2002 - Should carry a health warning.
Every now and then you read a book which is so compelling, so engrossing that you can't stop for a second. You end up walking around blindly reading as you go. This is why, Starseekers, Tim Bowler's best book so far, should carry a health warning so you can't blame the author when you walk into a lamp post or other large obstacle.
Very basicly, this book is about a...
Published on 9 Oct. 2002 by Sara

3.0 out of 5 stars Average book
I found this book difficult to get into and not very well written. However, once I got into it, a very interesting theory and idea.
Published 19 months ago by Bradders

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book of 2002 - Should carry a health warning., 9 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Starseeker (Hardcover)
Very basicly, this book is about a boy's (Luke), recovery and acceptance of the death of his father. The emergence of his syneathesia, a violent group of 'friends', his mother's new boyfriend and his conflicting feeling about Mrs Little and her grandaughter all combine to a wonderful and exciting effect.
But, no amount of explanation could do this story any justice whatsover, I found that the characters were so interesting that I began to wonder what happened after the last page. Read it. That's my only advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read, 7 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Starseeker (Hardcover)
I got this book for my thirteenth birthday, more than a year ago. After finishing it for the hundredth time today, I feel I must say something about it. I love it so much. I love when Tim Bowler writes about the music Luke experiences. I'm a pianist myself. I'm even wondering whether I should write personally to him and tell him how much Starseeker means to me. Thank you Tim Bowler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 23 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Starseeker (Paperback)
I thought this book was amazing! Definitely the best book i've read this year.
It is really emotionally compelling. And challenges the emotions with moments of happiness and beauty and sadness and disbelief.
I would recommend this book to ages 12-13+. As the books theme might not be understood by younger children.
I couldn't put this book down from the first page to the last, it really engrosses you!! Some parts are sad but this story has a happy ending, which is good! I really felt like I was in this book, watching over the characters thinking about what I'd do in their position, and I have found most books don't do that as well Starseeker.
I really enjoyed this book and I'm sure many other people would too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim Bowler - You're a star., 7 Sept. 2005
Ginger lady (Yeovil, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starseeker (Paperback)
Thank you a million times for giving us this great story to enjoy. It is so heartwarming that it even bought tears to my eyes. It truly shows one childs struggle to overcome his grief at the loss of his father and find his way back on to the right path, having set out to doom and destruction with Skin, Daz and Speed. It is beautiful and sympathetic and imaginative. Even though it is set in the modern day there is something magical about the songs of the world and the fact that all sounds are music. Music is the key to the world and it keeps the world moving. A fantastic idea from an amazing author. Definitely a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 5 July 2004
This review is from: Starseeker (Paperback)
This is most certainly the best book I have read this year: musical, visually beautiful, compelling and sometimes tragic and emotional. Tim Bowler develops the characters so well that they leave a great impression on the reader.
The plot starts off simple with many twists and routes on the way, basically Luke carries out a job for Skins gang to prove himself, he is forced to break in the house of Mrs Little and rob a jewellery box but what he finds inside is so unexpected it will change his life forever.
Mysterious and rewarding, a book for teens and adults alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Starseeker (Kindle Edition)
I have had this book for a while, I think maybe I was a little reluctant to start it once I realised I'd bought a book aimed at young adults but from the first page, I was hooked! This book has everything - wonderful, beautifully drawn characters a strong story and even a touch of magic. Luke's struggles to come to terms with his father's death, his alienation from his mother, resentment at life's 'unfairness' and being drawn into the dark world of Skin and his friends. I actually read the last half in one sitting, I just couldn't put the book down!

I found the 'other wordly' touches very interesting, too - not 'fantastical' enough to detract from a down to earth tale but some very interesting ideas from the author about life and death and the firmament. Read it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tim Bowler's best work, 30 Oct. 2013
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Starseeker (Hardcover)
One of the reasons I prefer music to 'songs' is that there is no set story or purpose behind music. And composers don't feel the urge to inject words like 'love', 'baby' and 'yeah' to make sure the listener likes what they are hearing. One piece of music can mean a hundred different things to a hundred different people. One of the main reasons I like film scores so much is that the pictures have been removed from the music, letting see your own pictures in your head.

Such logic is strongly used in this book. I'd never read any books by Tim Bowler before this so it was a total random purchase, and I'm glad I did because I liked it very much. The story is of Luke Stanton and his troubles with being a teenager, struggling with so many burdens, and the death of his dad. He's a great pianist and everyone is his 'quaint little English village' says so. Though he's hanging around with the wrong crowd and they want him to break into some old lady's house so they can get their hands on her jewellery box.

I'd definitely recommend this to any teenager struggling to find a good book for English class. It's not in-your-face, it doesn't raise the bar of extremities, there is no ugliness, it doesn't condescend. It's just a great story told in a peaceful environment. (Tim Bowler's fictional town is so well described you can be fully orientated as to where everything is). A shame that Bowler never reached this height again, though I'm not writing him off yet.

Oh, and my copy is signed by him too. Just wanted to show off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Starseeker (Paperback)
From the moment I opened this book I thought 'Wow! Here's a book I'd like to read' I read a review for Starseeker while browsing this very site and just knew it was for me.
The novel is about a boy called Luke who seems to be going through a teenage crisis. His Father is dead, he's having problems with his mum and has "Fallen in with the wrong crowd" so to speak. When he is forced to break into an old house he finds far more than he bargained for.
And then of course there is the music. Luke is a very talented pianist like his father. He is able to sight read perfectly and play pieces which he hasnt seen for years. But all this only seems to add to his problems.
I don't want to tell you any more of the story line because that would spoil the pure magic of reading this fantastically writen novel by yourself. All I can say now is 'BUY IT NOW!'

5.0 out of 5 stars A BEAUTIFUL READ - BRINGS TEARS, 2 Mar. 2013
H. A. Bedford - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starseeker (Paperback)
I was tidying my newly graduated son's bedroom out, when I found this book I'd bought him, never read. Ok... let's give it a go. WOW - this book is absolutely beautiful. The reviews said it was written in a "lyrical" style?? It absolutely is. It made me cry more than once and I was upset when it ended. I too, wanted to see what happened next in the story. I felt I became Luke, and I felt the horror of bullying through him, the confusion of the crying, the wondrous uplifting of the music, and the anger of accepting the Dad's replacement. It's a great story and has a truly beautifully written style. I now need to find out what Tims other books are like. This could take a while, as I see, lots of them have 5 star ratings too! Here goes..........

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay for this, 31 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Starseeker (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book! Luke plays the piano with very good hands. He accidentally gets involved with a rough gang who have a grudge against an old lady living in a house and they make Luke climb in to steal a box the leader of the gang, Skinner, saw her with. But when Luke finally does get in the house, he finds more then he bargains for...
Lovely. It's told superbly. There are some touching, emotional moments concerning Luke's dad, and sometimes you just want to hit Skin and his stupid gang for being horrible to Luke. They really are very dangerous. But it's a great book - very original.
BUY IT! And you'll have fun reading it, I guarantee you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Starseeker
Starseeker by Tim Bowler (Paperback - 4 Jun. 2009)