Published on 6 Feb. 2007 by Charlie-CJ

1.0 out of 5 stars Good
It was good , I didn't like the ending though. I would rather have the first one. I can't wait to read the next one!
Published 13 months ago by hattie sloane

5.0 out of 5 stars Another pretty good pre-teen kids story - tense & interesting rather than scary, 6 Feb. 2007
Charlie-CJ (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is the sequel to the 'Demon Headmaster', and is the second book in a series of six. To make sense of the storyline, you should read book one, 'The Demon Headmaster', before this book. First published in 1985, 'The Prime Minister's Brain' also reads a bit like an Enid Blyton's secret seven novel, although the entrancing computer game storyline is far more modern - and it hasn't dated at all over the last twenty years, it still seems futuristic. Dinah Hunter has just been adopted by her foster home where the incumbent boys (particularly younger brother Harvey) have now grown used her. Their school is now perfectly normal since the old Headmaster has left, but during the holidays the school computer club members are becoming increasingly engrossed in a new computer game. Intrigued Dinah decides to have a go on the game herself............

My son (10) is really enjoying me reading this book to him at bedtime (at 191 pages it took a while). My son, a poor reader, happily reads a few pages as well. We were disappointed that, unlike the Puffin versions of Demon Headmaster, this book has no illustrations, despite being aimed at preteens. But the story reads well enough without line drawings, and we have now bought all the other five books in this series : The Demon Headmaster, The revenge of the Demon Headmaster, The Demon Headmaster takes over, The Demon Headmaster strikes again, and Facing the Demon Headmaster.

Some of the language seems dated, mainly Lloyd's food related exclamations, which make it read very much like a 1950s Enid Blyton book (no bad thing, and my son laughs at Lloyds expressions). But as with the original book, it's a well crafted story that kept my son's attention throughout, and, although tense in places, it's surprisingly non-scary considering the plot-line. The storyline is very different to the first book, and my son is insisted we read it straight after the first one. Unlike his favourite AstroSaurs and Captain Underpants books, this book is probably more girl friendly as well. Just a shame the excellent TV series isn't available on DVD at the moment to compliment this very good book (aimed at 7-12s I would say). We are now well into book three, the slightly more sinister 'Revenge of the Demon headmaster'.

5.0 out of 5 stars The kids will be unwilling to grow out of these books..., 24 Aug. 2008
This is a brilliant sequel to "The Demon Headmaster", the way the chapters alternate between what is happening to the main character (Dinah, the extremely intelligent herione) and to her friends (the rest of SPLAT) is very effective, adds to the tension and will keep the reader gripped. This also creates a varied tone and a contrast between the taught science fiction happenings and humour. It prevents it from ever becoming tedious or boring.

This will not frighten kids but they will have trouble tearing themselves away from it, it is a very well plotted storyline, just as with the first book. In addition to this, it has the same feeling of a group of brave and intelligent children making creative plans and having science fiction related adventures. The characters are very well defined and often amusing beyond their years, particularly Ingrid who will have kids howling.

Overall, this is definitely a brilliant read for a boy or girl aged up to twelve, however, it may be the guilty pleasure of some teenagers who have refused to fully grow up!

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, 11 April 2013
My nine year old son loves these books and has read everyone. They are very quick to read though so they don't last long!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 10 April 2014
Ms. Cross must be a demon headmistress the way she had me hooked. I recommend this book to anyone who likes reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lara Newell, 4 April 2014
Amazing book. I am hoping to get through all of the Demon Headmaster series. It was a gripping tale and I just couldn't put my Kindle down. Can't wait to start the next book...

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic Book, 20 Feb. 2014
I chose this rating because it doesn't quite live up to the expectations of No 1 and you knew it was the Demon Headmaster all along. But overall a pretty good book. I would definitely recommend it to people who like drama and excitement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 14 Nov. 2013
Extremely good book. But I say you have to read the first one first. But it is still very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing 5/5, 4 Aug. 2013
I loved this book because I love the demon headmaster book 1
and I can not wait to read the 3rd book!
My favourite part is when the members of SPLAT are climming up the rubbish white it was like they were secret agents.

5.0 out of 5 stars My reveiw, 27 Jan. 2013
This book was amazing and completely lived up to my expectations from the first book, I can't wait to read the next book in the series and discover what new trouble Dinah and Lloyd get themselves in to

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 Jan. 2013
They're all good books but it's too bad that they don't tell you what order they're in. But overall it was a good book. My favourite books.

The Demon Headmaster and the Prime Minister's Brain
The Demon Headmaster and the Prime Minister's Brain by Gillian Cross (Paperback - 4 Jun. 2009)