5.0 out of 5 stars It's enough to send chills down your spine!
Published on 8 May 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 27 May 2012 by Ms. Jv Ferguson

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 May 2012
Ms. Jv Ferguson "Johelian" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kite Rider (Paperback)
WIth "The Death-Defying Pepper Roux" and "The Stones are Hatching" rating amongst two of the most enjoyable books I have read in recent memory, I had understandably high hopes for "The Kite Rider". Unfortunately I found it quite far removed from the former; shallow, barely scratching the surface of the story and emotions on offer, and with possibly one of the most hateful main characters I have ever had the misfortune to be introduced to. I personally felt no empathy with the illogical decisions he makes throughout the novel, and even his moments of epiphany felt far too little too late. The concept, as seems to be the norm for GM, was quite original and showed a lot of promise, but for me this is the least-enjoyable of her books that I have read. Then again, I'm hardly the target audience at 30; perhaps the lack of depth makes the novel more accessible to younger readers? Certainly there are a lot of positive reviews for this.

If you are over the age of twelve and have not read a GM book yet I would strongly recommend "The Death Defying Pepper Roux" over this, as a introduction to the mastery that GM is clearly able to attain; it's just sadly lacking in "The Kite Rider".

5.0 out of 5 stars It's enough to send chills down your spine!, 8 May 2001
This review is from: The Kite Rider (Paperback)
I haven't read a book by Geraldine McCaughren before but I thought I'd give 'The Kite Rider ' a chance. When I picked it up I just couldn't refuse it. It's a story based on a boy called Haoyou who witnesses his father's spirit being taken up by the gods. He then has to take up a hard profession to keep his mum and baby sister alive. The job is in the circus risking his own life to summon the gods with his cousin, a medium, to help him on the way to success!
If you have any queries about my review or would like to ask any questions about the book, contact me. I think its a great book and recommend it to any one.

4.0 out of 5 stars kite rider, 17 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Kite Rider (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book. I would have given it 5 stars but i got a bit confused sometimes because there were some words I didn't understasnd because I am only 10.You should read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic read!!, 13 Oct. 2001
This review is from: The Kite Rider (Paperback)
I have never read a book by this author before but certainly will try more! Haoyou has to follow a dangerous profession to save his mother from a dreadful second marriage. Will he survive storms, flooded rivers, the Kubla Khan and his great uncle Bo as he flies on his kite in the sky? You won't want to stop reading this at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kite Rider, 12 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Kite Rider (Paperback)
I bought this book because some of the children in the class had read the review and wanted to read the book. I sent for it so that I could vet it before giving it to them.This book is FANTASTIC! I read it on a train journey and nearly missed my station, I was so enthralled by the characters and their adventures. As it is a little bit above the abilities of my reading group I donated it to the class above. I have asked them to give me their opinions if they read it. I would say that the book would appeal to boys and girls alike, probably higher ability readers in the 9yr old and above age group.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece-after 5 minutes i could not put down the book!, 27 Feb. 2002
This review is from: The Kite Rider (Paperback)
The book caught my imagination beyond what i had ever believed possible for a childrens text. It demonstrated not only the extreme intensity of old Chinese religion but also a modern day style. For instance, the thought of being executed for the, then, crime of being disobidient to your parents (parent in this case) is astonishing but true. Thinking back to my days as a young child of six and below, i realize that i would have been dead long ago! However, despite the dramatic time and setting, the book should be suitable for children of five and over. The concept of witnessing your Father being straped to a kite after an involintary consumption of strong alchohol and then being let in to the open skys of the heavens to drift with the spirits of the deceased ancestors in which, i know, played an important role in chinese religous life, and still does for that matter. This triggered a series of incontrolable emotions in my mind, which was littered with the story-line from the book, weeks after i had read it including severe admiration for the leading character, Haoyou, and quite evere fear.This concludes my views on the fantastic andenthrawling novel, the kite rider but before i finish, i would like to leave you with a quotation that truely reflects my previous statments,
"Gou Haoyou knew that his father's spirit lived among the clouds. For he hadseen him go up there with a soul, and come down again without one"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, just wow!, 7 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Kite Rider (Paperback)
What a brilliant book! I was hooked from the first page, and tore through this book in just two sittings (work got in the way...).

Beautifully told, with an economy of words but beautifully evocative, the author manages to convey the atmosphere of the settings in a simple but powerful way that left me in no doubt about her meaning.

Other reviewers suggest that it is 'Young Adult', but I would recommend it to anyone.

Original and beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping book, 3 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Kite Rider (Kindle Edition)
This book is fantastic from the start and very well written. A real page turner with plenty of suspense, highly recommended!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very original and interesting., 5 Sept. 2003
This review is from: The Kite Rider (Paperback)
I loved this book! I'd never read anything like it. I feel like I've looked right into ancient China and seen the superstition, the family life and the tradition. I'd never even heard of kite riding before I read this. The story was great and not too happy. The main characters have a lot of misfortunes which makes the book more realistic than most.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adventure in China, 29 Nov. 2006
RedFish (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kite Rider (Paperback)
I picked up this book after my daughter had finished it and was soon engrossed. The characters were brought to life wonderfully and the settings were vivid. The story was a real adventure and I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. I would recommend it to all adults as well as older children.

The Kite Rider
The Kite Rider by Geraldine McCaughrean (Paperback - 4 Oct. 2007)