5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously Funny - A Fantastic Read!
Kicking off a new series based around 13-year-old Rachel Riley, My So Called Life is a hilarious and thoroughly enjoyable read.

Published on 14 Jun. 2007 by Karen Hughes

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring..
I bought this book thinking it would be a similar style to the Georgia Nicolson Series, but I got bored after the first few chapters. There seems to be a lack of development as far as the plot goes..
I much prefer Have a Little Faith by Candy Harper, and would recommend this if you're looking for something similar to Confessions of Georgia Nicolson.
However,...
Published 3 months ago by Maureen Onyekwelu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously Funny - A Fantastic Read!, 14 Jun. 2007
Karen Hughes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My So-Called Life: The Tragically Normal Diary of Rachel Riley (Paperback)

Rachel Riley leads an ordinary life. She's painfully middle class, and nothing Jacqueline Wilson ever happens to her - she's not adopted, her mum isn't tattooed and she's not likely to move to a council estate or be put into care. Neither are her parents alcoholics, drug addicts or closet transvestites. But Rachel's adamant things should be different.

This diary follows her across the course of a year, as Rachel attempts to make her life more exciting. Over the months Rachel details all her trials and tribulations. She struggles to fit in at school, falls out with her best friend, tries to handle the school elections, falls in love, has her first kiss, and even discovers there's to be a new arrival in the family, a new 'uncle', after her grandfather impregnates his care worker.

My So Called Life has already been referred to as an Adrian Mole for the Noughties, and I'd agree with this comparison. Nadin has a great eye for detail, and these pages contain plenty of laugh-out-loud funny moments. With many political references, this book has more depth than much of the chick-lit out there, giving readers something a little more meaty to get their teeth into, and will hopefully give them food for thought. Like Sue Townsend, or Louise Rennison, this book has real crossover appeal, and is one I can see adults borrowing and fully enjoying too.

All in all - a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Jan. 2008
I bought this book as a xmas present for my 16 year old sister and ended up reading it myself. I am 28 years old and I loved this book. It was laugh out loud funny and I am now pre-ordering Joanna Nardin's next book for me and my sister. It is very rare to find a writer who is this good at being humourous while really capturing the essence of what teenagers are like!! I would recommend this book to anyone, though it is best suited to young adults of 14 years and older (due to subject matter).

5.0 out of 5 stars the most amazing book, 18 Nov. 2008
N. Marryat - See all my reviews
im 15 and this i have to say is the funniest, best and most enjoyable book that i have ever read in my entire life. it is so good because i know what she's talking about all the time. me and my friend matched up all the caracters in the book to people in our school and they all matched perfectly. i have read the 2nd and 3rd book and am waiting for 4th. read this book it's fabulous

5.0 out of 5 stars earth shatteringly brilliant, 16 July 2010
John Crowley "Crowley" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
this book is unlike any other "teen books" i have read. told by rachels simple diary entries, she tells of her life and you get to imagine it on your own. what makes this book so special is the characters. all are completely hilarious and unique, told so simply, yet you see them so vividly. the happenings and characters are funny and crazy, yet not incredible as they are so normal, just told by the mad, loveable rachel riley.
i have never laughed so much while reading a book x)

READ IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book., 13 Mar. 2008
This book is awesome, its set in the school and town i live in which is so cool! i met the author and got the book signed!!! I highly recommend this book! I did to my friends too, but they are all borrowing it now.
get this book if you want something good to read. ***** five stars!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Sue Townsend, 19 July 2007
R. Thomas (UK) - See all my reviews
I read this on the strength of last Sunday's rave review in The Observer and was not disappointed. I'm 33. I loved it. So did my 15 year old niece who claimed her life had been stolen and put in print. So much for teenagers not identifying with it, S Smith! This outshines Grace Dent by miles, and the reviewer in the Observer was right, Joanna Nadin is a worthy successor for Sue Townsend. Rachel Riley IS the new Adrian Mole.

5.0 out of 5 stars I HEART THIS BOOK!, 19 July 2007
Daisy Fletcher (UK) - See all my reviews
I read this in one sitting on the train and had to keep apologising for laughing, snorting, crying out loud. Brilliant. Like if Bridget Jones had a nerdy sister who didn't live in London. Love the dog that eats the kitchen wall, DVD player, pretty much everything. I so felt like this when I was 15. (Not that long ago) Every page rings true. Except maybe having an Uncle called Jesus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adrian Mole meets Bridget Jones, 22 July 2007
This is the best book I've read in years! I nearly wet myself in parts and have bought copies for everyone I know - teenagers to oldies, men and women. It's Bridget Jones meets Adrian Mole - I defy anyone not to enjoy it! Can't wait for the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant !!, 21 Aug. 2011
This book was brilliant i had my head stuck in this book completed it in 1 day ! it is defiantly for older readers though :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring.., 14 Mar. 2015
However, delivery was very prompt!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

My So-Called Life: The Tragically Normal Diary of Rachel Riley
My So-Called Life: The Tragically Normal Diary of Rachel Riley by Joanna Nadin (Paperback - 7 Jun. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01