Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 November 2003
I bought this book a while ago and it went on my pile of books that i intended on reading but never seemed to get round to. When I went on holiday the other week, I took 2 books, this and another one, only really thinking i'd read the other one. I finished the first within the first day or so. I reluctantly picked up "Storm Catchers" and read the first page or two. I was imediately captured in the lives of Ella, Fin, Sammy and all the other intriging characters that made this book a great read. With a twist of magic thrown into the very realistic storyline, this book entertained me through out. I would recommend this book to children over 13 who enjoy a good bit of action. Don't read this book when you're on your own at home and there is a storm brewing.....
on 4 July 2001
I thought this book, "Storm Catchers," was brilliant. The tension was high and had me gripped from the very beginning to the final page. It is very well written - a powerful and thought- provoking novel. I don't want to give anything away but the ending is excellent - a really clever twist. It is a novel of betrayal and revenge. The plot is well thought-out and intriguing. I have read other books by Tim Bowler, "River Boy" and "Shadows", both of which were very good, but I definitely found this the best. I would recommend it to almost anyone, but especcially people who enjoy books crammed with action and suspense, yet also sensitive and subtle. It was an enthralling book by a captivating author,now one of my favourites, and you're making a mistake if you don't at least try it!
on 20 July 2007
Tim Bowler is one of those rare children's authors who never patronise a child. He deals with important issues but in such a way that readers are never bored or talked down to. He doesn't shy away from the difficult stuff and he has the ability to craft a character who the readers actually care for. This book is fast paced, exciting and excellently crafted. A poet working in prose. He is a standard favourite with my children and I think this is one of his best.
on 19 February 2004
Stormcatchers is one of the best books i read last year, and i read a fair few i can tell you that! Although it is slow at the beginning and takes a while to get into, it evolves into an excellent novel. you'll find it hard to put down and will be eager to read on and find out the truth. Stormcatcher unravels into an unputdownable, tense mystery and has some unforgettable characters. Ella and finn, the main characters, are entertaining and you'll be biting your nails, hoping that ella escapes the horrific, masked kidnapper. this is an excellent book. go buy it now!!!!!
on 19 July 2007
One of the things Tim Bowler is really good at is grabbing the reader's attention from the first page. This is particularly the case with Stormcatchers. Right from the opening words there is an atmosphere of tension. As the story unfolds nothing is quite as it seems and the twist at the end makes you realise that even those we love and trust may be flawed. This is a good read for young teens.
on 18 July 2007
This is my second favourite of Tim Bowler's books, and for such a good author that means it is a very good book indeed. Storm Cathchers is one of these books where you can see yourself in the film version of it; full of tension and scary dark nights. You know it is most likely going to end well, but you can't just work out how. It's nail biting territory, combined with some very good humour. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes an exciting book.
on 8 February 2004
I have just finished this book with my year eight class who loved it. The tension of the first chapter had them hooked and wanting to read more. There are endless themes to grab you. The confrontation at the end was extremely well written and when reading it you could have heard a pin drop in my classroom. This will be my teaching text for many years to come. A brilliantly written book.
on 28 September 2002
Storm catchers is a good thriller, mainly about a boy called Fin, who is distraught after discovering his sister, Ella has been kidnapped during a terrible storm. It was his fault. The family have no idea who might have taken the girl and wait, helplessly for instuctions from the kidnapper, but Fin has other ideas. With the help of his mysterious three year old brother, Sammy, Fin uses ways and means of tracking his sister down, even if it kills him...Many secrets get spilt from the family. Towards the end, the plot becomes a little disappointing and predictable, but I still loved this book! I would reccommend this book for ages 14+.
on 12 August 2014
Let me first say, that I am 55 yrs old. I picked it up when i had just finished a particularly heavy (adult) crime novel thinking that i would like something light and easy to read as a change. Storm Catchers was very different to how I imagined a teen novel to be. The plot was not the easy, light, quick read I imagined. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is the first book of Tim Bowler's I have read and I have since bought 5 others of his to read.
It kept me wondering, and on the edge of my seat. I engaged with the main character, Fin, straight away. I loved the style and pace of the novel, I felt the emotions and was not disappointed with the ending.. No spoilers from me, you will have to read it yourself.
I think that Tim Bowler has the unique skill of reaching out to all ages and look forward to reading more of his books.
on 18 July 2007
This is another of Tim's page-turners. I just couldn't put it down! He is certainly one of my absolute favourite authors.