5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful
An elegantly written, very touching homage to family love and a positive heart-warming story of bereavement. As poignant as Paul Gallico's the Snow Goose, and as deserving as that book of being a classic.
Published on 27 Feb 2011 by Yellow Dog

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worthy of the Carnegie Award!
This was an interesting and touching story but I do not feel that it would appeal to the audience it is aimed at.
Published on 17 Oct 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 Feb 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant story, 13 Aug 2012
C. Lozeau (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Boy (Kindle Edition)
Like many young adults in the digital era, I literally hadn't read a book from back to front since I was a child. Now in my 20s, this is the first book I chose to change that on my newly purchased Kindle and I'm pleased I did. A brilliant story that creates superb imagery and grips you from the beginning.

4.0 out of 5 stars soul warming book, 4 May 2012
This review is from: River Boy (Paperback)
I am a teacher working with 13-16 year olds. Three of my students are reading the book at the moment and are very positive. I read the book last weekend and found it interesting, easy to read, pleasant and generally a very nice book. I agree with another reviewer that it lacks the drama and action of many other teenage books but I do think it works nevertheless. And if you want a more "raw" type of book Tim's Blade series is good. But River Boy does deal with the topic of death very well and gives young readers an interesting and very relevant perspective on death. That is, I think, quite an achievement. Do not though misunderstand me the book is a celebration of life and family. Nicely written too, sensitive, clever...

5.0 out of 5 stars This spellbinding plot drags you into the life of Jess., 31 Mar 2001
By A Customer
River boy is a spellbinding novel that drags you into the print,its magical plot allows you to feel for the charactors. I couldn't and wouldn't put this book down, through the pages there where mixed emotions laughs aching my stomach, tears reddening my eyes and my teeth gritting with tension.Tim Bowler is gifted in that he can write such enchanting story lines,he has added a fact of life with a touch of his own experiece, to paper and there he has what I think is a bestselling book.I hope you have this opportunity to read this book as I have, I know it sounds stupid but it helped me cope with a tough patch I was going through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 31 May 2014
This review is from: River Boy (Kindle Edition)
Lovely warm soulful easy read book, I believe it's for teenagers.....I am an adult and found it a pleasant change to read a book like this and have gone on to purchase 3 more of tim bowler books :)

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved it - my son didn't, 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: River Boy (Kindle Edition)
I read this book to support my 12 year old son with his school work. I loved it, but my son needed convincing. The book is beautifully rich in description with the river acting as a metaphor for birth, life, death and beyond. It had me sobbing towards the end but my son was just happy to have completed his homework.

5.0 out of 5 stars River Boy, 4 April 2011
L. White "Lynne" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: River Boy (Paperback)
This is a great book for young teens and adults alike. A 'can't-put-down' story which engraves itself on your mind. The imagery is superb and the narrative flows like the river in the title.
The book arrived within 3 days of ordering in excellent condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive, beautifully scripted story about death and hope, 21 Jan 2000
This review is from: River Boy (Paperback)
Jess has difficulty accepting that her much-loved grandfather is going to die. The writer focuses on her feelings and her experiences, culminating in a prodigious journey that had me (and my children) tense with suspense. This book is both beautiful and sad, my only quibble being the outline sketches of some of the other characters. I like the way the author doesn't answer some of the questions: the mystery echoes the reality of humanity's experience of life and death and meaning. Buy it! Read it! It helped my children cope with the death of a much loved grandparent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving story, 17 Jun 2001
This review is from: River Boy (Paperback)
I was recommended this book by my teenage daughter. I read it in an afternoon; and could not put it down. River Boy deals with serious issues, but at the same time the narrative is gripping and compelling. The story interweaves themes of family relationships and death with the ever changing form of the river. In addressing the issue of death, both of the grandfather and the river as it enters the sea, there is sadness. However, the story is also a celebration of life.
Although the book appears to be aimed at teenagers, I would and have recommended it to people of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 3 April 2002
This review is from: River Boy (Paperback)
This book is truely the most amazing book i have ever read, i could not put it down! The cover may not look that interesting but from the first page you are totally gripped by the strangely moving storyline. It deals with death in a new enlightening way which draws you in. I never got into a book the way i did this one i would recommend it to absolutely everyone, people of all ages would enjoy it throughly.

River Boy
River Boy by Tim Bowler (Paperback - 7 Sep 2006)