Format: PaperbackChange

on 3 March 2005
This book started out great. The setting was perfect: lost on a sailing boat in the middle of nowhere. The thick mist and eerie cries heard by Kit and his parents really gave me the creeps. Kit's strange dreams and unworldly experiences with his discovery of the carved boat and seeing his older doppelganger beneath the water only add to the mystery and compounds the unsettling feeling. Their shipwreck on the barren island of Skaer with the mysterious and hostile villagers, the disappearance of Kit's parents and his further experiences with his doppelganger continue to put a chill down your spine. It is compelling and makes it impossible to put down.
However, the author does not manage to keep this up throughout the book. Shortly after the disappearance of Kit's parents, the story begins to deteriorate into monotony. Kit faces the murderous torch and club bearing islanders AGAIN! Kit manages to escape and find a different hiding place with Ula (an outcast on the island) AGAIN! It just gets boring and irritating to read. The characters are loosely developed: we never find out much about them. Ditto the islanders. The apparitions and the mysterious naked man is also left unexplained: is he god or the devil? Why does he look like Kit? What is their connection? etc. Nothing is adequately explained. Much of the book is left to the imagination. The ending is the biggest disappointment: it brings absolutely no resolution. It just makes you think "what the hell was that all about?!"and little more else.
It started off with great promise but it just gets too weird for words. I still have no idea what the point was.
on 1 January 2012
I'm hard pressed to think of many other novels that I've read in my life which I enjoyed more than this one. I read a total of 50 novels in 2011 giving a score out of 100 for each one according to how much I enjoyed it. The highest score went to a novel called "The Map of Time" by Felix J.Palma to which I gave a score of 89. But I would give Apocalypse a score of 95. I would also say that it is better than the other books that Tim Bowler has written and which I've read -- even Starseeker and River Boy which were also both excellent.

The novel is aimed at the teenage market but adults will certainly not find it too simplistic! It is an extremely profound novel.
on 6 August 2006
This is very different from your average teenage fiction (well, female teeny fiction anyway; can't speak for the boys); it's a refreshing change with a complex but interesting plot line. It's probably not the sort of thing i would usually go for, but i really enjoyed it and it's the sort of book you could read again (i certainly have).