4.0 out of 5 stars Hey that hurts
Published on 6 May 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy-going stuff with a disappointing ending
I had only read one other book by Tim Bowler (Starseeker). I loved it and regarded it as the best book of that particular year. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to reading one of his other novels but I grabbed Apocalypse from the store shelf almost randomly. It was a good read, until the end came!

Kit and his parents are sailing around near...
Published 8 months ago by Inspector Gadget

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey that hurts, 6 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Apocalypse (Hardcover)
Each Bowler novel lives in the grey border between hard-edged realism and plausible fantasy and Apocalypse is no different. Passages of this book are among the most powerful he has ever written and they hit home like bare knuckles - pain everywhere. While not as emotionally satisfying as his previous novel, Starseeker, there is still loads to admire and the page-turning narrative really keeps things pumping along. It's a gritty read though so if you're of a nervous disposition you might be better off with Abigail the Breezy Fairy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apocalypse, 5 Mar 2006
This review is from: Apocalypse (Paperback)
I found this book exiting from beginning to end.
Having the main character being quite weak and helpless helps you to relate to him. So much description just helps to bring this story to life and leaves an imprint in your mind for quite a while.
This story is religiously based and needs you to think a lot to understand the ending.
I was satisfied with the ending and it explained everything to me as i wished. It also gave the impression that you are your own God and many people may doubt that but you have to find out for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apocalypse by Tim Bowler, 13 Aug 2005
This review is from: Apocalypse (Paperback)
I am a great fan of Tim Bowler. I have enjoyed all of his books. He doesn't flinch from working with challenging themes and issues. Apocalypse is one of his darker books and captures the essence of the current issues that have resulted in recent tragic events around the world. He challenges our views of right and wrong at many different levels: the extreme physical and emotional pain that that Kit has to endure from others, the intolerance that can be found in some belief systems and ultimatley the nature of good and evil. These are issues we are all faced with in such a volatile world.
It is also a good read, gripping from start to finish.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy-going stuff with a disappointing ending, 21 Oct 2013
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Apocalypse (Paperback)

Kit and his parents are sailing around near what one assumes to be the Northwest Coast of Scotland in their boat the Windflower. Kit has been suffering from vivid nightmares and a fog unlike no other engulfs the boat. While steering, Kit sees a model boat floating in the sea, he reaches over to inspect it and sees what appears to be a man with his own (admittedly ugly - he has a large black birthmark down his face and neck) face clutching the boat from beneath the waves. His momentary lapse in concentration causes the Windflower to crash into a huge rock and they end up run aground on a nearby island.

The island isn't so big so they go off in look for help. Kit sees the strange man (who is constantly naked for some reason), bruised and beaten, trying to pull himself out of the water down on the beach. His parents don't believe him and continue their search for inhabitants.

They find them. But they are less than welcoming. And a lynch mob almost chases them off the island before a wise elder gives them the chance to heave-ho by themselves. That night Kit's parents disappear and he is left to scour the island on his own looking for them.

He meets a 15-year-old girl called Ula who is an outcast among the islanders. She's is suspicious of him at first but they end up sticking together as the islanders become increasingly murderous, the strange naked man builds a huge cairn, a sea monster circles the island while moaning long and terrifying cries and massive tidal waves bombard them repeatedly. Kit, Ula and the strange naked man are constantly put through unreal amounts of agonizing pain over and over and you think there's no escape and no answer to any of this madness.

And you'd be right to think that. Dozens of questions go unanswered in the last pages. Who is this strange naked man with superhuman powers? Why does he have Kit's face? What is the deal with the Sea Monster? What is the deal with the waves? Why is the sea on fire? Why does Kit have nightmares? Why does he have intense connections to all of this madness that Ula doesn't? Why the time travel? What is the world building up to at the end? You'll be asking all of these and many, many more.

It's almost like Tim Bowler had some half-baked idea and wrote it down without finishing it. But his agent demanded a book right away and he just popped the unfinished Apocalypse in the mail to him. To stick with so much heavy-going reading all the way to a practically truncated ending is well out of order. His subtext of religious futility is at once underdeveloped, incongruous, and perhaps even hypocritical. He uses fantasy when he needs it to work and ignores it when the story speaks for itself.

I stand by my theory that this book is a work in progress that was printed before he got the chance to finish it and wrap up the zillions of loose ends. To tease us with so much mystery and leave without paying the bill is criminal.

If it made sense this would get 4, possibly more, out of five. As it is I can only give it a 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 15 Feb 2008
Ana C. Mackenzie "Katie" (south africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apocalypse (Paperback)
i tried this book when tim Bowler came to my school and signed it. i thought it was very good. it is full of excitement and suspense and the twist at the end just finishes it off nicely. i think that anyone can read it and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Poetry of Endurance, 17 Aug 2005
Mr P K Nixon (Sevenoaks, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apocalypse (Paperback)
This startling book lifts Tim Bowler's work onto to a new plane, and confirms him as one of Britain's foremost writers for young people. It an epic allegory of endurance, human fortitude and love. The hero, Kit, is pitched into a brutal and almost non-stop battle with elemental forces and prejudice, when he is tossed onto a remote and inhospitable island and subjected to experiences beyond belief. It is at once a tremendous story, flint-hard and relentlessly driven, shot through with heart stopping emotion - but it is also beautifully written in an intense, bleak poetic prose, resonant with intriguing enigmas. It resonates with symbols, yet remains firmly grounded in physical reality. The closest reading experience I can recall is William Golding at his finest: 'Pincher Martin' in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Apocalypse (Kindle Edition)
As usual Tim Bowlers books are my favourite and this one was amazing. I think he is a brilliant author who is very unique in his style of writing

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you reading but a disappointing ending, 31 May 2005
This review is from: Apocalypse (Hardcover)
This book has an excellent beginning. Tim Bowler is the master of suspense, and 'Apocalypse' is no exceptions. The plot is gripping, chilling and suspenseful. So why have I not given it 5 stars? The story continued along the same line for so many pages with so many unanswered questions that I was praying for an ending which would destroy all my doubts. Alas I, along with other reviewers, was bitterly dissapointed, There were many unanswered questions, and then we were taken by surprise and told that most of the book was set backward in time . If I were to judge the book on its first and second halves separately, I would allocate 5 stars to the first half and 2 stars to the second. Sadly it is the ending that I normally remember most when recalling a book.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's all over.., 29 Nov 2009
Miss Leola (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apocalypse (Paperback)
I have read only two other Tim Bowler novels- Starseeker and Storm Catchers- and enjoyed them both immensely, so I had high hopes for Apocalypse. Sadly, I was disappointed. The beginning was good, it got me interested and looked promising; the middle put me to sleep, almost to the point when I contemplated giving up; but the end was just plain confusing.

The story follows Kit and his parents as they are stranded on an uncharted island, with some inhospitable islanders. Like I said the start was good but then in the middle it felt like nothing happened and everything happened. I think that half the book was just kit thinking how bad everything was and how he wanted to die. Repetitive. At one point I thought 'fine die then, just stop complaining!'

The climax happened quite early but it didn't feel much like a climax. I kept waiting for the real thing to happen but it never came. Then, right at the end, it starts getting interesting and it stops. The best part of the book is the last few pages. They started to get you thinking, wondering, questioning... And the mysteries start to be explained but then they aren't, and you're left there almost having to come up with your own ending. Now, I like a story that can make you think but ideally I want a rounded ending.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Apocalypse. I liked the religious and the almost philosophical side to the story, and the touch of mystery it offered. But I found most of the characters annoying and not particularly realistic, and the ending could have done with a few more loose ends being tired up. It is worth a read but I think Bowler has done better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it unfinished?, 8 Feb 2006
J. P. Grant - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apocalypse (Paperback)
This book confused me from the very beggining. It began with sailing jargon far too complicated for me, having never controlled a boat, with no explanation and continued to not actually end. When you finish the book, you expect an advert for a sequel, or a section torn out of it. But no. call me simple, but i just couldn't understand what had happened at the end of the book. Even the main story irritated me, the main character constantly thinking about,and trying to commit, suicide. Not a feel-good book. however, the book was relatively entertaining and quite well writen in the bits where it wasn't lodged in a ditch of boat jargon and self pitying.

Apocalypse
Apocalypse by Tim Bowler (Paperback - 2 Jun 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01