on 12 January 2006
I absolutley LOVED this book. When i first got it, it was soooooo looking foward to it. Alan Snow is a brilliant aurthor. Anyone who sent in a bad review is a nutter! I loved the part where Tom and Kipper control the doll using Grandfathers invention, and the part where the gianormous rat explodes and covers everywhere with cheese. J.K.Rowling, move aside because Alan Snow is here!
on 18 August 2006
I was convinced to buy this book merely by the cover illustration. The sheer absurdity of a small being in a tatty box enticed my sense of intregue and I ordered it the next day.

The world of Ratbridge, the tale's setting, is on the outside an idyll working town. But the sheer imagination that has gone into creating the different quirks and twists of the crazy little world is clearly evident, and enraptures in turn the imaginations of young and old alike. (Many times I have had to wrestle said book off my mother...)

The story has something for everyone. A lively, pacy style of writing conveys action and prose in a style appealing to all ages. The surreal creatures inhabiting the underworld of ratbridge, the stereotypically (but not in a necessarily bad way) evil calculus of the Ratbridge Cheese Guild, the plucky young hero, Arthur and his mentor Willbury Nibble QC (retired.) and (trust me, you have to read the book to understand this part) the well-deserved fate of the women with hexagonal buttocks!

You can't really review this without revealing the plot, so I leave on this note: A story for all from six to sixty-six. Appealing to children because of the lively, action-packed page-turner this book happens to be, and for parents... trying to recapure lost youth with a children's book? Try the Ratbridge Chronicles.

You'll never look at Cheese the same way.
on 21 January 2006
We initially picked up this book because of the wonderful illustrations, and were delighted to find that the story and characters were just as enjoyable. Inventiveness and humour spring from the page, and the story cracks along at a good pace, too: the whole book is a joy to read. Please, Mr Snow, may we have more adventures of Arthur and his friends? Especially Tom and Kipper... and most especially of all Fish the boxtroll.
on 30 October 2005
It's really great. It's exciting and imaginative. There are loads of wacky ideas and really strange creatures. I liked the pirates who get stuck in the canal and start a laundry. At first I thought I wouldn't like it because it's a really thick book but once I started reading it, I wanted to know what happened in the end. I loved the drawings, especially the War Rat. I can't wait for the next book.
on 16 October 2005
I totally loved this book! Especially the boxtrolls - all the characters are original and imaginative. i can't begin to imagine how the author got his inspiration to make up all these different creatures. It's similar to fantasy - a mix of humans, elves and other creatures but in Here Be Monsters there's humans and rats and talking cheese (which are unfairly used by the rats to gain town domination) - it's simply a whole different world.
I think this is a wonderful book and any child would enjoy it. The illustrations are brilliant and make it even more of an enjoyable read.
I cant't give anything more but praise. Fab book, and i look forward to the next volume!
on 28 February 2015
My dad and I read this together after watching the Boxtrolls film in the cinema.
We thought the book was truly fantastic with loads of brilliantly bizarre characters and a gripping storyline which held our interest all the way through. We also laughed out loud a lot.
The book is sooooo much better than the film and we loved the film.
on 20 October 2014
Well written kids book that I brought after reading about the film which apparently has some innovative and engaging animation.

I love the world Snow's created and look forward to seeing how the film reinterprets it.
on 12 April 2015
Lovely book. After the film being such a success in our house, bought this for my 6yr stepson to begin to read. What a great story!
on 9 November 2014
I didn't like the style of writing and found the story predictable - the film is meant to be much better than the book.
on 16 February 2015
An enjoyable romp through a strange world. I am not entirely sure what to make of it but it was worth reading.