4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read
I knew some of the names of the Norse gods and some vague ideas about their tales but this book really helps to cement that knowledge. I love listening to various forms of heavy metal and quite a few bands from the Scandinavian coutries reference Nordic myths in their lyrics, especially bands like Amon Amarth, hence my interest in understanding the Nordic myths...
Published on 15 Aug 2011 by Mr. George Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars A little dry
Whilst I can't fault the narrative content, the stories aren't told in a very gripping way. I bought the book to read to my children and bring alive stories that had fascinated me as a child. There wasn't a lot beyond the framework for them to get involved with. Disappointing.
Published on 18 Jun 2010 by neonoctafish

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 15 Aug 2011
Mr. George Johnson "Gj" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tales of the Norse Gods (Oxford Myths and Legends) (Paperback)

The book is very matter of fact about the myths, obviously direct translations and tidied up ensure the correct English syntax is used to make it more easily understand by English speakers. Each tale is separate and there is no attempt to link them, other than the fact that they may share some common characters. Each tale is quite short and takes only around 5-10 mins to read so you can read a few tales then put it down, coming back as and when you wish to.

Slightly older children, say 8+ would probably have an interest in the tales, younger children may find it a little hard going understanding the slightly odd, older mode of English speech.

All in all a good read and great introduction to the most famous characters and tales of Nordic mythology.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 27 Dec 2009
V. Morris - See all my reviews
This is an action packed retelling of traditional tales with plenty of drama. A good read for anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little dry, 18 Jun 2010
neonoctafish (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, 5 Sep 2013
Mr. C. PIKE (England) - See all my reviews
Really good book, simple to read and understand and gives a great view of Norse mythology. Definitely worth buying and reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Oct 2012
T. Nutley "The Raven" (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book has a selection of the most interesting tales based on the Norse Gods; Hence the name. The book is written with short chapters, in a easy to read format. It even has one of my favourite tales in "Thor's journey to Utgard" Excellent book could not put it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars So so.., 20 Aug 2014
Bought this to read to my two older children, and the book is more a fact book than a story book.
Perfect if you have to write an assignment, rubbish for cuddling up on the sofa for some story time before bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliving my childhood, 27 Oct 2009
Mei (Lyon, France) - See all my reviews
The book was second hand but was in pristine condition and arrived well within the time I was given. I've been trying to track down this book for some time and was delighted to find it through Amazon as it went out of print decades ago. I read and re-read this book many times during my childhood and can't wait to re-read it now as an adult!

Tales of the Norse Gods (Oxford Myths and Legends)
Tales of the Norse Gods (Oxford Myths and Legends) by Barbara Leonie Picard (Paperback - 8 Feb 2001)
5.24