5.0 out of 5 stars captivating, heart warming
This is one of the best books i have ever read. I read it when i was young, and read it about once every year. (it's quite a quick book to read). despite it being a children's book it contains an underlying theme that is quite adult in it's context.

Published on 2 Nov 2009 by K Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Children's Classic BOX SET
I bought this item because I thought from the listing that I was going to get the ''BOX SET'' BUT I only got one book i.e. ''The Hound of the Baskervilles''...
.I had told my 9 year old Grandson that I had the set ordered, (I paid for the same product in plenty of time for his Birthday).

The reason I had not got his Birthday gift in time was that I had...
Published 2 months ago by Bald Eagle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars captivating, heart warming, 2 Nov 2009
This review is from: Flambards (Paperback)

it is part of a 4 book series and is the first one in the series. It follows an orphan girl through the beginning of the 20th century and is about her going to live with her uncle and 2 cousins in the country. As the book progresses she gets much older and the book follows her through a dramatically changing society from an ordinary girl who knows little of politics or real world situations perspective. I loved the way in which the book shows her naivety about life. it's honest and refreshing because it shows what a sheltered life she and many other girls in her time led and the mistakes she makes are believable when you look at the way she is bought up.

The series deals with the war, suffragette's and class issues in a thought provoking and heart warming way. You also see the effect that these three issues have on the other characters ranging from poor servants at a time when servants were becoming less and less of a need for in smaller households and the wars effect on her family and cousins.

It's a great book for kids and adults and i would recommend it to anyone but it's perfect for parent and child reading.

The cover makes it look like a silly horse book but it isn't so don't buy it thinking that's what your going to get because you won't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only a quarter of excitement and is amazing!, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: Flambards (Paperback)
I have read all the flambards books. I am 11 and i love them!:) the first book may not be the most exciting out of the 4 but is the most important! By that I mean it holds all key information you will need for the next books or you will not understand them.

About the book.

Orphan Christina moves to Flambards when she is twelve. There she falls in love with horses and riding (especially hunting!) William (one of her two cousins) has a passion for aeroplanes and Mark (her other cousin) also has an interest in horses.Through this book you learn about the ups and downs, romances and tragedies Christina experienced. This book shall indeed MAKE you be hungry for the next three sequels.............heres their names in order.

Flambards
The edge of the cloud
Flambards in summer
Flambards divided.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books in the world, 30 Oct 2008
This book deserves to be as famous as the Narnia books, or any of the Frances Hodgsen Burnetts. it is a virtually perfect, clever, witty, romantic and truthful story. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book Ever!!!!!!!, 17 Dec 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Flambards (Paperback)
Flambards is a brilliant book, it is cleverly written and has a good twist to it! I would recommend this book to about 10+ as some of the words are slightly tricky.
It is basically about a 12 year old girl called Christina who is an orphan and is sent to go and live in a ruined, decaying mansion named Flambards with her grumpy uncle who's only passion is for horses and alcohol! The uncle has two sons (Christina's cousins) who are extremely different! It is a brilliant read and you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful series, 20 Aug 2007
This review is from: Flambards (Plus) (Paperback)
For both children and adults, this is a wonderful series of novels, appealing to all ages. The story of Christina, a young, 12 year old orphan, who goes to live with her unpleasant uncle Russell and 2 cousins, William and Mark, one of whom she grows to love because of his kindness, one she grows to hate because of his cruelty, in their country house, called Flambards. Here, she develops a love for horses and riding, and learns to hunt. The newfangled things called aeroplanes play their part, and William and Christina make a new friend, Sandy, who introduces them to the joy of flight, but tragedy strikes soon after. The First World War eventually robs her of her cousin William, and therefore, the man she loves, and she is left to run the estate with Mark, who loves Christina, but his love is not returned. These novels are a joy from beginning to end and are highly recommended. For horse mad teenagers, they make fabulous reading, and for more mature readers, the romantic element is moving and the soapier element of the story is engrossing. You will love it. It was also developed for television in the 1970s and made must see and equally unforgettable viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb read, 28 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Flambards (Oxford children's modern classics) (Paperback)
One of my all time favourite books. I loved it as a child and still enjoy it as an adult. It is the story of a young girl in pre-war England. Through her eyes it describes the lives of a dying breed, the impoverished gentry. A beautiful book for horse lovers and romantics, with well described believable characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, lots to interest a reader, 25 Aug 2013
I enjoyed reading this first book in the Flambards trilogy very much. Firstly, it's a book about horses (always a winner with me); secondly, it's a book about my next great passion - country houses. It's also a book about changing times and England just prior to the first world war, class systems and what would really be the last years in the great country estates of England.

Already in the book, Flambards is "dying", subsiding into decay due to the owner's inability/disinterest in maintaining it. There's a stark contrast outlined in the story between the traditional values of the hunting field, the lower working classes who are striving so hard to keep the upper classes in comfort, and getting sparse thanks for their efforts, and the inexorable march of progress as embodied in the development of the aeroplanes which William is so interested in, and the early warnings of the onset of the war "to end all wars".

The story is told by Christina, cousin of Mark (embodying the traditional) and William (representing the new times to come). At first, it seems she has a foot in each camp: she adores the horses and the hunting field, but finds Mark strangely uncouth and repellant. There are also certain aspects of this "traditional" class system of values which she finds very hard to swallow: Dick's family, for instance, gets an extremely rough deal out of it all with his mother ending her days in the workhouse, Violent being sent away in disgrace and Dick being sacked for a very tenuous and arbitrary reason. Instead, it is William's sensitivity she ultimately finds more appealing. Indeed, in the end, (inevitably) progress wins the day, ending in Christina leaving Flambards and her beloved horses behind.

This is a very easy to read book (intended for children in 1967 when it was originally published) but it contains much that would be of interest to adult readers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Children's Classic BOX SET, 30 Jan 2014

The reason I had not got his Birthday gift in time was that I had already been let down by another seller, (well not really their fault), with an order previous to this order where I had ordered the same product which had been dispatched BUT some how the parcel got damaged in transit and was sent back by the Post Office as being unsuitable for delivery.

When that order did not arrive I explained to my Grandson that it was to be a slightly Belated Birthday Gift for him....and went ahead with the order for this product.
Back in November I had placed an order for the Box Set which I intended to give to my Grandson for Christmas BUT it never arrived and I was later refunded the money SO this is the 3rd time I was left frustrated with this same item.

This company refunded me as did the 2 previous sellers BUT I am very agitated over the whole scenario.
READ BETWEEN THE LINES AS TO WHAT EXACTLY YOU ARE PAYING FOR as a few other customers have similar disappointments mentioned in the Reviews. SO I wish you luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good set of children's classic books, 30 Dec 2013
Lyndee H (Ipswich, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
An economical way to gain a collection of 10 good classic books for a child. The books are attractive and clearly printed so I think the set is very good value.

We chose these so my daughter can have a read around to see what she likes and to stimulate her imagination as well as improve her reading skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books there is!!!!, 22 May 2003
Sophie (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flambards (Hardcover)
Ms. Peyton wrote this book poignantly and beautifully with emotion and lovely, descriptive scenes. The whole story with the conflict between Dick and Mark and Christine's feelings, fears, triumphs, joys and fancies come alive for the reader as she is growing up and are magnificently portrayed.
I strongly recommend this book to anyone looking for an interesting read with romance and conflict interwoven together. It is not only a childs book but would make a surprisingly deep adults read. I am fourteen and love it and so does my eleven y.o sister and forty y.o mother!!
Thank-you Ms. Peyton, I am an avid bookworm and this series has really made reading that much more wonderful!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa679bdbc)

Flambards (Oxford children's modern classics)
Flambards (Oxford children's modern classics) by K. M. Peyton (Paperback - Sep 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01