4.0 out of 5 stars Great version for older kids - and adults, too
Published on 2 Mar. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok.
Small font but a good selection of tales to share with the class.
Published 9 months ago by Mel

4.0 out of 5 stars Great version for older kids - and adults, too, 2 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
This is one of the better versions of these stories in my opinion, and is particularly suitable for older children who are ready to move beyond simple children's stories. The stories are a bit "straighten up" for contemporay audiences, but they retain the language and the fanatastic elements that people turn to these Tales to enjoy. The stories also retain some of the violent and cruel plots twists of the original, another reason you may not want to use these as bedtime stories for little children.
All the major stories and most of the minor ones are included, and the "frame story" of the Shah and his clever wife is carried throughout the book very nicely. Each story told by Shahrezade serves a secondary purpose of advancing the tale of the royal couple's evolving relationship, and so the ending is more truly satisfying than in almost any other version of the Arabian Nights.
The illustrations are good as well, and add to the storyland feeling of the tales. (The only quibble I have hear is with the white European look of most of the characters in the drawings.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb storytelling, 24 Aug. 2003
This review is from: One Thousand and One Arabian Nights (Oxford Story Collections) (Paperback)
I haven't enjoyed a book as much as this in ages - equally suitable for children and adults alike. The author makes superb use of language and metaphor to give an authenic Arabian feel whilst still making the stories read naturally. The frame story of Shahrazad is well handled and evolved and most of the short interspersed poems are pretty good also. I haven't read any other versions of the tales, but they would have to go some to beat this - I'm off to check out some of McCaughrean's other titles

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep then Engrossed!, 29 May 2010
W. Booth (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
As a primary teacher I have used this book to great effect in the classroom. The short format of the stories make them ideal to slot into the few minutes I manage to scrape together to read to my class. I also can allow the children to choose the story randomly by asking them to choose the number, which they love. Their favourite so far is The Tale of The Little Beggar, which had them in stitches!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, humourous and timeless, 1 Sept. 2011
This was the first in the 1001 books to read before I die list that I recently purchased and its age did make me feel wary of starting it.
I should have had no trepidation at all as it turned out. The book was engaging, refreshingly funny in many places and a thoroughly enjoyable read. Its themes and stories which have been redrawn and woven into countless modern guises are indeed timeless and the translation is well presented and interpreted. I recommend it to all ages as an essential read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite!, 1 Jan. 2012
LOVE this book. My dad brought this for me along time ago when I was a child and I absolutely loved it! But I either lost it or siblings took it because I couldn't find it anywhere! So I decided to repurchase and I could not be happier because it is an excellent book for children and adults alike. Collection of small stories contained within a bigger story, sure to please all! Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steamy Nights in the Desert..., 5 Jan. 2012
What an entertaining book these classic stories have been for ages. I read them as a youngster and now again at age 60 - and have in fact enjoyed them more this time! So young or old there is much to delight in and carry one away to exotic locations and adventures...wouldn't mind having my own Genie!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best version of the Arabian 1001 Nights I have read, 25 Mar. 2014
I've read a few versions and McCaughren's version is the best so far. A friend lent me her childhood copy and I loved it, years later I searched amazon and found a copy to put into my library of excellent reads. It is the ulitmate Middle Eastern fantasy read with great sub-texts and messages on morality, gender and class.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great version of the ananymous 1001 Arabian Nights tales, 3 April 2015
This Oxford version is a really great version/collection of the 1001 Arabian Nights tales. The tales are lovely with some really good messages in them. And while the book takes the reader from tale to tale, the story of the Shah and his wife (who tells theese tales to the Shah every night) in the background is a nice little suspense that makes the whole book even more enjoyable. A must read at any age to enjoy the mystical Arabian tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best book i have read, 15 Aug. 2009
J. ahmed (uk) - See all my reviews
i enjoyed the book so much that i could not put it down, all the stories were great and it has become one of my favorite book i have read. highly recommended any one will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geraldine McCaughrean is Wonderful!, 30 Aug. 2013
Wendy A. Martin (England) - See all my reviews
I have purchased a variety of books written by MCCaughrean and she is a truly wonderful author who appeals to both adults and children. My favourite book is 1001 nights and this version wAs fabulous. I would highly recommend this text to teachers and parents.

One Thousand and One Arabian Nights (Oxford Story Collections)
One Thousand and One Arabian Nights (Oxford Story Collections) by Geraldine McCaughrean (Paperback - 15 July 1999)