5.0 out of 5 stars Very off-the-wall and imaginative story for younger preteens, where even the islands themselves go for a ramble. We liked it.
Got this for my 8 year old nephew, as both the Guardian and Telegraph book reviews quite rightly rate the book 5*. It's quite a zany book compared to Philip Reeve's others for youngsters aged 9+ (e.g. Predator Cities: Mortal Engines and Goblins) and is perhaps aimed at a younger reader being rated age 7+. The book is about a young boy named Oliver who is the son of two...
Published 15 months ago by Charlie-CJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Good finale
I read this book over several bedtimes for my 6-year-old daughter. The book plodded along but had a good finale and the pictures through the book were top-notch.

Published 22 months ago by Tim Roast

‹ Previous | 14 5 69 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good finale, 25 Sept. 2013
Tim Roast (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The story follows 10-year-old Oliver Crisp who is coming home with his parents "to the house which they owned but had hardly ever lived in" because up to now they had spent their lives exploring. Oliver is excited to finally settle down, except his parents go out as soon as they arrive to explore some islands that have appeared nearby. Trouble is they go missing so Oliver has to go looking for them.

On his journeys he meets Mr Culpeper, an albatross, and Iris, a short-sighted mermaid. He also gets to see creatures like the rambling isles, which are like islands but aren't because they move and have bodies and faces beneath the water, sea monkeys, "small and smelly in their coats of green fur" and talking seaweed from the Sarcastic Sea.

Then there is the evil Stacey de Lacey who is a boy, because Stacey can be a boy's name too, and who has kidnapped Oliver's parents on a rambling isle called The Thurlstone, who is "very old and very bad. Bad men did human sacrifices in that temple in its top long ago, and the blood trickled down inside it and turned it wicked."

As for the titular seawigs they are the wigs that the rambling isles wear (as seen on the cover of the book). Every seven years the rambling isles have a contest at the Hallowed Shallows to see who has the best wig, which are decorated with things they find on their travels such as shipwrecks and narwhales. "The winner of Seawigs Night is a sort of king", and the Thurlstone is determined to win, even through theft.

The finale sees Oliver trying to rescue his parents as the Night of the Seawigsis taking place, but he gets caught by Stacey de Lacey and his army of sea monkeys, and only Oliver's friends can save him. My daughter's favourite moment came when she realised that the smaller rambling isle that Oliver had been travelling on called Cliff would come and stand up to the vastly bigger and more evil Thurlstone.

But like I said before I felt it plodded along before the finale, and up to then it was difficult to keep my daughter interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 31 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Oliver and the Seawigs (Hardcover)
I bought this to read to my two grandsons, aged 7 & 9. Can't wait to be asked to babysit to read the next chapter !! Great story.

5.0 out of 5 stars spectacular, 30 Dec. 2014
I am 7years old girl. The bad Rambling Isle called the Thurlstone took Cliff's decoration. Every 7years the Rambling Isles go to a place where the judge decides who has the best declaration on there head.The boss of the Thurlstone called Stacey De Lacey decided to take away a submarine called the Water Mole and he made Oliver's mom and dad a decoration for the Thurlstone. I recommend it strongly because to me I leant rules about not doing dangerous thing on seas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reeve on form!, 14 Jan. 2014
R. Burdett (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oliver and the Seawigs (Hardcover)
I grabbed this as I'd read his Mortal Engines books (and thought them superb), and just read it to my four and six year old. Great stuff. Lots of humour and inventive ideas, and we were all captured by the story. I even laughed out loud a few times - 'Yeah, because it's that funny' the Sarcastic Sea jeered - and the kids clamoured for another chapter at the end of each.
Reeve is a strong story-teller, who plays with words wonderfully, and I'd recommend grabbing his other works. The illustrations in this perfectly captured the story, and the middle and eldest kid both enjoyed pouring over them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome adventure! Seriously deserves an award!, 28 Oct. 2013
K. Z. Sobol (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a wonderful tale of adventure which I read to my two daughters over a week. They loved it from the first chapter and so did I. It has a great balance of wit, imagination and intrigue with the most amazing illustrations that make up a good proportion of what makes this book as compelling as it is. There are instances of great partnerships between illustrators and authors and this is a new and fabulous one, which hopefully will produce more stories and adventures together. My daughters are begging for the sequel, but whilst we are waiting, they are happy to read it together again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Oct. 2013
Gogol (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A great childrens book very much in the Ronald Dahl school of daft British humour. Oliver a young boy goes off in search of his explorer parents who had disappeared when going off to visit a nearby island. All this coming at the end of his parents expecting to settle down after years of exploring now Oliver has to go and track them down after going missing.

Now starts the adventure filled with daft characters and wonderful illustrations this is an excellent book highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!, 13 Aug. 2013
E. Ramshaw - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We loved this book from the outset, the cover is great and really makes you want to dip straight in and read and you wont be dissapointed, i think its aimed at approx 8 plus for an age range and so i shared this with my nephew first who is 9 and he laughed an awful lot, however my son of 12 and even myself and my husband really enjoyed reading this book and couldnt put it down, you could hear chuckles from whoever was reading it which is always a good sign and if you have the problems i do with boys and getting them to read this one is i would say a great one to try. highly recommended for a good read and and even better giggle

5.0 out of 5 stars Characters are brilliant, great imagination and a great adventure, 29 Aug. 2013
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Funny read, me and my 9 year chuckled our way through the book.

My boy has just discovered books and is enjoying his reading, finding a book that is not to young or to old is the hard part, Oliver and the seawigs is perfect.

The illustrations are excellent and they made us chuckled.

Characters are brilliant, great imagination and a great adventure, kept us reading until the end in only two sitting's.

Full marks from my 9 year, his words are the book is sick and awesome which I think means he really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, funny and a good challenge, 2 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You know that a book has got something when your kid's eyes light up when you pull it off the shelf to read. Even more so when they jump up and down and clap their hands. My son is only just approaching six but very keen on the idea of being an adventurer and explorer so I decided to get this book and read it to him. It is definitely too hard for him to read alone and would be more suitable for kids about 9 up I would say. The story is brilliant with lots of humour, great characters and lots of surprises. The illustrations are rather nice too and it has been a joy to read to both my 5 and 3 year old. Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun, 27 Oct. 2013
P M Buchan "P M Buchan" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sarah McIntyre's illustrations in Oliver and the Seawigs are spectacular. Her economical linework captures the whimsy of Oliver's adventure brilliantly, using the space available to her to depict a fantastical world full of wit and magic.

This was a bedtime story that was very well received in our house. The only problem was that the pictures were so much fun that nobody wanted to close their eyes and go to sleep!

‹ Previous | 14 5 69 | Next ›

Oliver and the Seawigs
Oliver and the Seawigs by Philip Reeve (Hardcover - 5 Sept. 2013)