5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, charming, humorous and loved by my sons
My sons are avid readers and I'm constantly on the search for something new and different for them. When I saw this book I had no idea what to expect - what on earth is a Seawig?! - but it looked humorous and so we decided to give it a go.

Published 8 months ago by A. Milne

3.0 out of 5 stars Good finale
I read this book over several bedtimes for my 6-year-old daughter. The book plodded along but had a good finale and the pictures through the book were top-notch.

The story follows 10-year-old Oliver Crisp who is coming home with his parents "to the house which they owned but had hardly ever lived in" because up to now they had spent their lives exploring...
Published 11 months ago by Tim Roast

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, charming, humorous and loved by my sons, 28 Nov 2013
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

As it turns out I'm really glad that we did! Both my sons, (aged 7 and 9), totally loved this book. They said that it was quite unlike anything that they'd read before, that it kept them guessing about what was going to happen and that it was a little bit crazy and a lot funny! Doesn't get much better than that does it?! The book is about a 10 year old - Oliver - whose Mum and Dad are explorers but he wishes they were normal, (I'm sure lots of kids can relate to that last bit!). However, one day they need rescuing and Oliver has to use all the explorer training that's in his blood and head off on his own adventure to rescue his parents. On the way he encounters many strange and wonderful creatures and, of course, finds out all about Seawigs.

The imagination of the author is quite something and the illustrations really did add to this book we felt. It was nice to find a funny and entertaining book that didn't feel dumbed down in any way - there are some wonderful phrases in there and the author doesn't shy away from using some more tricky words.

All in all I would highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets kids reading., 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Oliver and the Seawigs (Hardcover)
My grandson, aged 9,couldn't put it down. He is very difficult to get to sit down and read a book. He said it was "epic".

5.0 out of 5 stars Reeve on form!, 14 Jan 2014
R. Burdett (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oliver and the Seawigs (Hardcover)
I grabbed this as I'd read his Mortal Engines books (and thought them superb), and just read it to my four and six year old. Great stuff. Lots of humour and inventive ideas, and we were all captured by the story. I even laughed out loud a few times - 'Yeah, because it's that funny' the Sarcastic Sea jeered - and the kids clamoured for another chapter at the end of each.
Reeve is a strong story-teller, who plays with words wonderfully, and I'd recommend grabbing his other works. The illustrations in this perfectly captured the story, and the middle and eldest kid both enjoyed pouring over them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book for Young Readers to Explore, 13 July 2014
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Oliver and the Seawigs (Hardcover)
Oliver has spent all of his ten years of life exploring thanks to two parents who love nothing else. But with no parts of the world left to explore, they are going to settle in a house by the bay. While his parents aren’t happy, Oliver is excited to have his own room, make friends, and even go to school.

However, when they arrive, Oliver’s parents spot some islands in the bay that weren’t there before. They go out to investigate and vanish – as do the islands. Oliver doesn’t panic, however, but begins to try to find them. Just where will the search lead?

I'd been hearing about this book, so I took full advantage of finding it on Vine. I'm so glad I did. This book is very charming with a couple of twists to the plot that surprised me. The characters were wonderfully likable, too. The illustrations helped make this a fast read for me, and I’m sure the target audience (grades 2-5) will be delighted with it as well. There's fantasy and adventure that should appeal to boys and girls.

I'm so glad I picked up a copy of this book. Kids will delight in Oliver's wild tale.

NOTE: I was sent this book in exchange for my honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oliver and the Seawigs, 7 Sep 2013
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Oliver and the Seawigs (Hardcover)
Oliver and the Seawigs is a fun, bonkers new children's book by author Philip Reeve and illustrator Sarah McIntyre. This team works particularly well together and I hope there's more books coming in the future - I'm sure younger readers will love this one!

Oliver and the Seawigs is, first and foremost, an adventure story. Oliver's parents go missing on what turns out to be a moving island, so he goes searching for them. On his travels he meets a shortsighted mermaid, a nasty villain type called Stacey de Lacey, an albatross, a little island called Cliff and more sea monkeys than he's ever seen before. As you can imagine, madness ensues!

I enjoyed this book, especially because of all the crazy characters that Oliver meets. I'd happily have a little sea monkey as a pet, and I think it'd be really cool to meet a mermaid and a moving island. Such brilliant imagination and storytelling has gone into this, and it will appeal to many different readers.

My personal favourite part of Oliver and the Seawigs is the illustrations. I don't think I've come across Sarah McIntyre's work before but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on her future work. The style of her illustrations is just lovely and I really enjoyed looking at them all. The sea monkeys and little Oliver are my favourites - so cute!

I think this book is being marketed to readers in the 7+ age range, though that doesn't mean slightly younger readers won't enjoy it too. And I think I'm proof that older readers are also in for a treat - it's worth picking up a copy for the illustrations alone. Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gung Ho - Explore Away!, 13 Sep 2013
M. J. Saxton (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the best book for children I have read in years and fully deserves awards in my view. It is quirky with a capital QUIRK.

Oliver and Iris are two great characters full of spark and energy. They are the sort of characters children would love to be or know.

The idea of the Rambling Isles is enchanting, especially as each of them needs to collect things for a special wig to enter a competition. Oliver's parents happen to be special enough to be collected by the villain of the piece, the Thurlstone.

Fortunately, Oliver has the help of his own special friendly Rambling Isle, Cliff.

Iris, the short-sighted mermaid, is a clever creation. Her greatest moment is probably when she acts as the propeller to Oliver's dingy.

Stacey de Lacey is suitably nasty as the Thurlstone's teenage sidekick with his team of snot-coloured sea monkeys. Both villains come to a suitable end, especially inventive in the case of the Thurlstone.

It's funny all the way through and the illustrations are stylish, fun and contemporary and play just an important a part as the story itself.

This is a great stand-alone story, but will hopefully be the first of a series. There are enough threads left to write more should the author and illustrator decide to do so. I hope they do.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book ever Edward aged 6, 27 May 2014
We thought it was very funny and exciting. The pictures are fantastic and the plot is clever. Brilliant characters, especially the Sea Monkeys and Iris. We would recommend it to anyone who enjoys adventure stories, such as the How to train your dragon series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely entertaining!, 15 May 2014
Ten year old Oliver finds himself embarking on an adventurous rescue mission with a short-sighted mermaid and a wandering island called Cliff. Along the way he helps create an impressive Seawig and encounters AN ARMY OF SEA MONKEYS!. The illustrations are wonderful and do a fantastic job of enhancing a very imaginative tale. Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars great fun, 13 May 2014
It was highly inventive with engaging characters. I loved the illustrations too. I'd be interested in seeing work from both writer and illustrator

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, my 7 yr old niece liked it., 13 May 2014
n7misc (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely font, lovely illustrations, very funny, rather sweet. Oliver and his friends are searching for his missing parents. He is not a scaredy type of character, more a brave chap who is made of strong stuff. My 7 year old niece found this story very intriguing. Happy to recommend - suggest this would suit 7 - 10 yr olds depending on reading ability.

Oliver and the Seawigs
Oliver and the Seawigs by Philip Reeve (Hardcover - 5 Sep 2013)
6.29