5.0 out of 5 stars The importance of word derivations
This is an excellent book. As an educator I cannot stress enough the importance of knowing derivations. It is well known that people give up study if they go past a misunderstood word. Clearing the word enables the person to contine understanding the text, and clearing the origin/derivation of the word help the person retain the definition as knowledge.
Published 15 months ago by julie jay

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough
Published 19 months ago by Boy Lumoindong

5.0 out of 5 stars The importance of word derivations, 1 May 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, 8 Jan 2013
Boy Lumoindong (Manado Indonesia) - See all my reviews
Before receiving the book I thought that I'm going to award it the four stars rating, at the lowest, based on my personal opinion after reading the short preview prepared by Amazon; but while I was reading the book I found that hardly all of the definitions of words origin could be found in my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary and my OAED. It means there is nothing new in the book. The size of of the book is much smaller than what I'm thinking of. The printing is very good, however, and I could perhaps take it anywhere I want after the small size of the book. I recommend Mr. John Ayto to add more stories behind the words, at least for some particular words derived from other languages after specific situation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oxford School Dictionary Word Origins, 9 Jan 2011
Interesting but lacking the detail I would have liked. Not all the words have the same detail on their origins. Good enough for school use though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't be used as a dictionary, 27 Jan 2012
There are some interesting entries but this cannot be used as a dictionary as current word meanings are not always provided. I'm going to buy the Concise Dictionary instead which isn't as accessible or chatty but has everything in one place.

Oxford School Dictionary of Word Origins (Oxford Dictionary)
8.78