4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Dictionary
Ideally I would like to give this book 3.5 stars but went for 4 as I think 3 stars is a little too less.

As I am writing this review, I realised that actually it should be my five year old who should write this as I bought it for them!

She likes some of the pictures that are in the book that go with certain words.

She likes the days and...
Published on 24 Jan 2012 by A.Miah

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely dictionary but a little limited
Published on 7 Jun 2012 by Jellyflower

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Dictionary, 24 Jan 2012
A.Miah (England, UK) - See all my reviews

She likes some of the pictures that are in the book that go with certain words.

She likes the days and months at the end of the book. She has taken it to school with her to show her teachers.

From a parents perspective, this book (paper back) is nicely laid out. It is A4 size and has 120 odd pages. Obviously there are many words that did not make the dictionary but I think it covers many words that a 5 year old is likely to come across in their school day (Vulture and misunderstood are not in there). I could be harsh and say that some letters do not have as many examples as there should be for e.g. Z

Overall, I would recommend this book to other parents out there looking for a first time dictionary. They would need a more detailed dictionary a couple of years later but I think it gets them used to using a dictionary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would Recommend, 12 Jan 2013
Brought for my 6 year old daughter. Very good and would recommend to others. She is really getting the hang of looking up words and definitions. Also used the online activity (oxford dictionaries) in conjunction with the book. Makes it more fun and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile investment, 23 Oct 2012
I bought this dictonary for my 6 year old daughter after it was recommended by her school. Nicely illustrated and a little more advanced than a picture dictionary as it only has a few pictures on each page. Good for homework.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: OXFORD FIRST DICTIONARY NEW ED (Hardcover)
I use this dictionary with youngsters who come to me for literacy support lessons. It is great! It is clearly divided into four sections, which are defined by pastel colours, which helps when teaching dictionary skills. The language used is clear and understandable by children who are just gaining the confidence to read themselves. Perfect for use by children from 5 to 8 years old (younger children may need support).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and educational too, 9 April 2012
This review is from: OXFORD FIRST DICTIONARY NEW ED (Hardcover)
Brilliant product for both my children (2.5yrs & 5yrs), they love the fact it is so easy to understand and read. Pictures help to explain the words. The size is perfect - easy for them to hold. Arrived in great condition and very fast.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely dictionary but a little limited, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: OXFORD FIRST DICTIONARY NEW ED (Hardcover)
I agree with the other reviews that it is a lovely, well illustrated and well laid out dictionary and a great introduction as to how to use one. However, having recently bought it for my 6 yr old daughter it was almost immediately insufficient as it did not contain many of the words on her homework word lists - she is asked to try and spell certain words then look up the correct spelling in a dictionary so she had to resort to my rather overwhelming grown up Oxford English. I will definitely keep this for my 3 yr old son when he's ready for it, but have just ordered the Oxford Primary Dictionary to replace this for my daughter - it looks more comprehensive for her needs. 3 stars may be a little harsh but I was lead to believe it would be sufficient so that's why it's not a 4 - I do take some responsibility for the choice though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps with Homework, 30 Dec 2013
Paula Worden (Dover, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OXFORD FIRST DICTIONARY NEW ED (Hardcover)
I bought this for my 5 yr old daughter to help her with her homework. It helps her with spelling as she uses the pictures to confirm what word she is using. She has the dictionary next to her when she's doing her homework so she can learn to look up words that she wants to write. Good addition to her bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dictionary, 23 May 2012
This review is from: OXFORD FIRST DICTIONARY NEW ED (Hardcover)
Fantastic book my daughter who is seven is learning how to use a dictionary in school and this has helped her a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars great present, 24 April 2014
bought for granchild starting school. excellent book would recommend to any 5 year old, received on time, good value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars great dictionary, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: OXFORD FIRST DICTIONARY NEW ED (Hardcover)
lovely colourful dictionary with good selection of words. Useful for beginning readers, build the habit and skill of referencing in a dictionary. Arrived in a timely manner.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

OXFORD FIRST DICTIONARY NEW ED
OXFORD FIRST DICTIONARY NEW ED by Hachette Children's Books (Hardcover - 2 Sep 2011)