5.0 out of 5 stars Brothers Lionheart Lindgren
Published on 28 Feb 2003 by Maria

1.0 out of 5 stars dark and terrifying, think carefully before you give to a child
I was given a copy of this book at about 10 and it terrified me. The story starts with two boys dying in poverty in Victorian Sweden After death they arrive in a seeming paradise which they quickly discover is actually ruled over by a dark tyrant. Over the course of the book they encounter further terror, culminating in disfigurement and death once again. The only glimmer...
Published on 30 Dec 2010 by David Weatherall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brothers Lionheart Lindgren, 28 Feb 2003
This review is from: Brothers Lionheart (Hardcover)
I first read about the Brother's Lionheart in a magazine from America called "Cricket and Company". It has had a special place in my heart since. I am a twin and although we both read the story of the two brothers we had no idea until much later that it had had such a profound effect on us both. When you are close to someone, the idea of losing them is unthinkable. For my twin and I this story brought us much comfort ( it still seems extraordinary that we never talked about it at the time). What a wonderful idea, a place where those you loved would be waiting for you, a place you had named, not heaven because heaven was invented by someone else.
The greatest gift of an author is that their work should stay with the reader forever. This story will.
It must be reprinted if only because everyone has someone they cannot bear to lose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Favourite, 17 July 2003
Lisa Hlin (Reykjavik, Iceland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Brothers Lionheart (Paperback)
This book has had a special place in my heart ever since my mother read it to me when I was four or five years old. Since then I have read it again several times, through the eyes of a child, a preteen, a teenager, and, -most recently- as a person who has seen a lot. I enjoyed it thoroughly every time, still shivering at the thought of Katla the dragon, still weeping when the brothers first leave their mother for Nangiala, inspired anew by the reality of this fantastic story.
I recommend this book to everyone who still has some warmth left in their modern souls.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-enhancing modern myth, 7 April 2006
This review is from: The Brothers Lionheart (Hardcover)
I have a much loved and very battered copy of this book that was given to me as a child when my little brother died. I buried myself in its fantastic adventures and was gripped by its alternative ideas about what happens when you leave this world. I have looked for copies ever since to pass on to others as it was a life-affirming story that I will always be eternally grateful to have read at a time of desperate loneliness. I now have new copies of it in Italian and Swedish but can't afford to buy copies of my old English edition with its beautiful black and white line drawings. My advice is to get hold of any copy you can and let as many people as possible read it, there's nothing else like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truely well written book, 31 Mar 2009
Gisli Jokull Gislason "Jokull" (Iceland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Brothers Lionheart (Hardcover)
There are not many books I read more than once, as a father of 3 these are mostly childrens books. Of all of these no book has made me cry every time like this one does. It is in my opinion Astrid Lindgren's best book. It tells the story of two brothers that face a terrible evil, more so because it is evil like we know, bad people doing bad things. In ways resembling recent wars and tyrants.

It is a book ful of morals and lessons. They are not slapped into the readers face or overexplained but they are there and an innocent child can relate to them.

The lesson of the book is to do the right thing always, no matter the risk and several more lessons besides. I have yet to read the first 2 chapters and not cry.

It is the perfect childrens book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Brothers Lionheart, 15 Aug 2002
This review is from: The Brothers Lionheart (Paperback)
This book is a masterpiece. It can be viewed in different ways depending on the age of the reader. Children will look at it as a nice bedtime story, but for adults it has a deeper meaning. It will pull you in to its magical world, leaving you astonished and hanging on for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long time favourite, 19 July 2005
This review is from: The Brothers Lionheart (Hardcover)
I read this book years and years ago for the first time, and it is one of those books you can never forget and you will always come back to. The story about the 2 brothers, entering another world after they died and have to find out, that "paradise" is at a huge thread by an evil Lord.
They have to defend their and their friends freedom and lives. It is a story about bravery, friendship etc., just brilliantly written. Once you read this, you will be wondering why paople make such a huge hype about Harry Potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who thinks the book is inappropriate for a child?, 26 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Brothers Lionheart (Paperback)
I just love this book since I have read it as a child till now. I am still coming back to it. While growing up one can see new dimensions of the story. Some claim the book is too difficult or scary for kids...well, have a look what they are watching now in TV, what kind of games they are playing, on which activities they participate and then tell me the book is too much for them ;-) This kind of literature can make people better. To make them think about better things in life. It shows them what is love, courage, friendship, hope, determination. Some people say the concept of death in this book is what makes it inappropriate for children. Not really. It is us who did hide death in our life, who are denying it. It is here and children need to know it to be able to cope in their life, to be able to walk with their eyes open and see things as their are. What do you think more educative? Your kid reading about somebody dying for a reason in a fictional book or your kid sitting in front of a playstation and "shooting" fictional enemies by his own hand? I want my kids to be human and appreciative of life. Thats why I will give them this book to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars fairly good translation, 31 May 2010
Bengt Korswing "bgk53" (Sweden) - See all my reviews
The Brothers Lionheart is a very good book. As I am Swedish and also fluent in English, I have found that this English translation is quit good. As always with translations there will be words and/or expression which can not be translated directly and as such some of the finer details of the story are lost. However, after saying that, I must also say that in this book you do not loose much at all, in fact, even after having read the book in both languages I find that the story is so good you don't notice loosing anything at all. I highly recommend this book for both children and adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars the brothers lionheart, 13 Feb 2009
A. dungay (plymouth,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Brothers Lionheart (Hardcover)
the best childrens book ever written! beeing norwegian i grew up with the tales of astrid lindgren. i never met a child who didnt love her books. a very special author who just "knew" children.her characters are everything a child would want to be,but for some reason cant..this book makes you cry,but you will love and remember it for the rest of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book from my childhood never forgotten, 24 May 2007
This review is from: The Brothers Lionheart (Hardcover)
I have now children myself and this is a book that I have never forgotten. So much so that I had to search to see if this book was still available. This book would very much help a child with a loss but for me it was just the magical place that sticks very much in my mind.

This book should be reprinted. Can't recommend it enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Brothers Lionheart
The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren (Paperback - 2 July 2009)
5.24