5.0 out of 5 stars I remember parts of it vividly and that I liked it but that's about it, 23 July 2014
This review is from: The Wind in the Willows: Oxford Children's Classics (Hardcover)
My only real memory of this classic book was a stop-motion TV movie I saw as a child. I remember parts of it vividly and that I liked it but that's about it. I didn't venture on to read the book because, like most children, I assumed I'd basically done that by watching the programme instead. WRONG.

I borrowed a copy of this from my local library because I was feeling the urge for some middle-grade reading and this fit the bill perfectly. It was fun, funny, charming and had wonderful written characters, so it's no surprise that I really loved it.

The wonderful story of a group of creatures that live by the river and how their lives change through the seasons. We follow the misadventures of Rat, Mole, Badger and the ever mischief-making Toad as they live, play and change together. It has it's funny moments and rather sweet and heartfelt times too as we see the care between them all and despair at on-and-other as they make mistakes. My favourite character was Toad because he was a real English eccentric and a bit mad. He had a good heart to him but he was so self-centred too. This only made his tales more fun to read though. I couldn't help but giggle every time he declared 'Poop poop' with glee about his beloved cars.

A delightedly British story that is one every child and adult will delight in reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for all, 3 Sept. 2014
Keith Shepherd (UK) - See all my reviews
Just a great book not just for kids. Bought this book for one of my grandkids having read it previously myself about 10 years ago.

The Wind in the Willows: Oxford Children's Classics
The Wind in the Willows: Oxford Children's Classics by Kenneth Grahame (Hardcover - 7 Aug. 2008)