Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2009
I'd give the brilliantly funny Lotta stories 5 stars any day of the week, but this annoying new edition has a new translation that greatly lessens the humour and sly wit of the stories. Also, why change the older siblings' names from Jonas and Maria to Joe and Mary-Lou.? Utterly pointless tinkering. The OUP should have known better. My recommendation is to buy 'used' i.e. second-hand copies of the Lotta books from Amazon. The original Ilon Wikland illustrations are so much more charming than Tony Ross, too...
on 1 February 2009
Another brilliant series from Astrid Lindgren. Gentle humour and real children doing things that are important to real children. Lotta is a rounded and believable character and gets into some very funny situations. I wish someone would produce talking book versions of all of Astrid Lindgren's stories (not just Pippi. It's well worth searching for her other books, like the Mardie series - they are fantastic!
on 19 April 2014
Why have I never read this book before? It's older than me, and Lindgren's classic Pippi Longstocking was on my bookshelf when I was little. Lotta is for slightly younger readers, and we came across it as part of a lovely boxed set my 10 year old daughter was given for Christmas. The children in the book are about 7 and under, and younger children would read it from their perspective, but my daughter is enjoying it from the viewpoint of an older child enjoying the company of funny little ones. We have been reading it together in bed at night and we've both been enchanted by the antics of these sweet but unruly children. (Lotta's toy pic that she insists is a teddy bear and sticking the salami out of her sandwich on the window of the train "because it sticks better than meatballs" had us crying with laughter.) Fun for parents as well as children, and we're looking forward to the other Lotta book in our boxed set.
on 14 August 2013
I read this storybook to my kids, age 4 and 8 whilst we were on our summer holds. They loved the characters, so vivid and funny. I would strongly recommend the story. Astrid Lindgren is a superb childrens story teller, so I bought all of her books for my kids.
The book came quickly in good condition.
on 12 August 2015
brilliant for little girls between six and nine years old - they will love reading this themselves
on 2 October 2014
New illustrations and changed names a shame
on 29 May 2016