5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Mr. Pullman?, 23 May 2004
By A Customer
This is one of those books that you will want to read in one sitting, and leave you eager to read the second part to this trilogy straight away. Although aimed at eleven year olds, I'm sure that there will be plenty of adults who will enjoy this book too. If you have not read it yet, I am not going to spoil the story. As you would expect with the multi-award winning Ms. Cross, The Dark Ground is superbly written. In fact, I believe that she has now transcended to that higher plane of pure genius occupied by the likes of Philip Pullman. My only gripe - which is a pity - is the awful hologram on the front of the dustcover. However, I'm not going to let this triviality detract from the fact that this book is worthy of the full five stars. An award winning novel? I'll go out and buy a hat to eat if it isn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 30 Sep 2012
This is a gripping tale that turns the familiar on its head. The book's cover doesn't tell the reader much about the story inside, as one of the book's strengths is the revelation of what is happening to Robert, the boy who is lost. I didn't read this book for a long time beacause I thought I knew where it was going - boy on plane, boy lost in jungle. This story is a 100 times better than that, filled with interesting and believable characters and keeps on intriguing, even after the reader works out what is happening. The story has stayed with me after finishing it - I keep imagining myself in Robert's situation. I think this is a great read for people of all ages - it's thought provoking and a fast paced adventure all rolled into one. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantasy and adventure rolled into one, fantastic!, 24 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This is such an unusual adventure/fantasy story, it is gripping right from the start and you will not want to put it down until you have finished. Although it gradually dawned on me what had happened to Robert, it was still so surprising and written with such imagination, that I couldnt wait to read book 2 in this trilogy 'The Black Room' to find out what happened next.

The Dark Ground - 'The Lost' Book 1
The Dark Ground - 'The Lost' Book 1 by Gillian Cross (Paperback - 5 July 2007)
5.77