5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and easy to understand
Published on 19 Mar. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit advanced...
Im new to medical statisitcs and I needed a book which explained things in simple english. I found this book did this in places but not enough for me to fully comprehend the subject matter. Personally I would recommend the book to people who have a basic/intermediate knowledge of statistics- not complete beginners/ those struggling with the subject.
Published on 6 May 2009 by Samantha

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and easy to understand, 19 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: An Introduction to Medical Statistics (Oxford Medical Publications) (Paperback)
This is one of the most useful books I have read in a long time!! Not only does this book cover a range of topics in great detail, but the author also manages to put across the facts in a meaningful context. For years I have sat through lectures on statistics - thinking I knew quite a lot - until I got into the real world, looking at real data. It was then that I started my search to find a statistics book that too related to the world - and here it is! Most useful section to date - age standardising mortality rates. The author also supplies a web address providing working datasets to aid understanding of most of the topics.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to Statistics., 25 Feb. 2004
Statistics can be a difficult subject to grasp, and i searched for a while for a comprehensive book to help me understand the Lecture material.
In introdution to medical statistics is simply a fantastic book. It is well worded, and presented in a logical and coherent manner. Although slightly daunting at first, being a relitavely large book, it makes use of simple language and cleverly placed diagrams to assist the reader.
This book is suitable for students entering into any type of medical degree, or for anyone with an interests in the way medical studies are conducted today. It assumes very little prior knowledge.
All in all, a great book, well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn Truth and Reality in a Personable Way: Solving Problems With a GodFather of Statistics!!, 7 Feb. 2015
If you want to know how statistics are applied in medicine, and are interested in study design to gain accurate data this is a good book. It covers sampling, observational and/or experimental trial design. If you want to learn how to summarise and present a range of data then this book is for you. If you are interested in theoretical concepts such as probability, distributions, and that of estimations this book is the 1. If you want to know about significance tests and hypotheses testing this book is for you. If you are really clever and want to know about regression and correlation and much more other stuff than this book is for you. If you are like me and perhaps not so clever but want to learn how to read and review research in health this book is for you. This book has use for a lot of people, it serves an array of needs and ability. If you want to learn how to do maths this book is probably not for you. However, the equations are placed within the text for those that do want this. Here is a story about this book. I am a nurse, I first came across the book by chance, a friend of the family was at the time training to be a consultant psychiatrist. He was using this book to help him prepare for one of his exams. He passed! I then borrowed the book, for one of my exams. I never returned it, and I was asked on several occasions if I could do so. I had misplaced the book (if my memory serves me correctly!). The psychiatrist had replaced the missing book himself, and fortunately I had not caused him too much distress. Many years later, my partner's friend was writing up a report. He is a consultant working within orthopaedics. I offered to lend him the book, and he kept it! What goes around comes around? So, I recently purchased for the first time my own copy of this book. This story, a true story, goes someway into demonstrating the need for a range of health professionals to know they have access to an introduction to medical statistics. It covers all relevant topics to do with medical research; teaches the essential concepts; constructs; and applications. The fact that no one in this story wanted to give the book back to anyone after it met their requirement illustrates that this book is quite a treasure! It has many useful purposes, and one will need it and learn from it time and time again. In my view, I think the author's genius is his humanistic nature. He is able to apply a good sense of humour (when needed), and make very succinct points cleverly (that stick) - there is a paragraph on ethics and a group formed by women called RAGE. It is a genuine book. Written by a genuine professor, that enjoys his subject and teaching. We are fortunate as the book contains a lifetime of continuous education, broad experience in the field and truth of research. Ten years later, I was to find that by chance, the author of this book became one of our lecturers. If you are a medical professional not in the class and think that you are not as lucky as me (to have the real thing), think again. This book is a great all-in-one guide by your side. Like most of life's problem-solving and learning, one book, or tool is not sufficient. Particularly not for me! This book requires the reader to engage with the material. One tip - do not let anyone borrow it! Wishing you a Happy Ending!

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit advanced..., 6 May 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 Nov. 2014
I am finding the book very useful, just that the prints are faint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Jan. 2015
clear and well written

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of physical quality, 29 Oct. 2009
Arrived well within the time stated, and in new condition. Very pleased with the service.

An Introduction to Medical Statistics (Oxford Medical Publications)
An Introduction to Medical Statistics (Oxford Medical Publications) by J. Martin Bland (Paperback - 3 Aug. 2000)