5.0 out of 5 stars Conquering stress,depression&time management all in one book
Published on 31 Dec 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, loads of information and ideas
Published 14 months ago by CuttingComments

5.0 out of 5 stars Conquering stress,depression&time management all in one book, 31 Dec 2000
This review is from: Manage Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide (Paperback)
I've been hunting for a book for ages to try and free up some time. A stressful job and studying via distance learning does not leave much spare time and can result in me becoming very stressed. The book details loads of tips to try and help life in general and has chapters on specifics such as anxiety, over/under eating, effective studying, alcohol etc. It is proving to be a must, you wonder how you coped beforehand. I would recommend this book to anyone prepared to spend a few minutes each day thinking about different ways of approaching situations to improve your life in general. It's well worth the money and lends itself to be either read through completely or just dipped into chapters as necessary. A great deal better than lots of other self help books as it's easy to apply and memorable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and complete, 10 May 2006
This review is from: Manage Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide (Paperback)
This is a complete users manual for the brain. Thought is too linked to personality to make it easy for us to evaluate what we do and how we think.

The writers are objective and very methodical, taking the reader through common sense and less obvious steps. The chapters are well divided and enable reference back to specific areas of interest. For example, although interesting, the chapters on addiction were not relevant to me, while time manaement was; the sectioning of the book enables me to refer to Time Management as a topic.

There are lots of points here that may seem obvious but I don't see that as a point of criticism. I would rather this than other points and methods of management were left out. We do tend to ignore the obvious sometimes anyway.

The book is unemotional, and not an inspiring, lifting book to change your life. This isn't a criticism, but an observation. You can get that in other books. This is a mechanic's manual.

Another good point is that this deals with a range of functions of the brain. For example, depression may be a reason for you reading the book, but such is the application, those of us not suffering from it can benefit from the knowledge of cognitive therapy. Further, topics range from illnesses such as depression to practical tips for normal healthy relationships and managing work committments and solving problems.

Many of us who already use our minds well don't fully see how we do this. The book stands outside and objectively shows us how we do it and what else we can do. In that, it's a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensively covers many problems people experience., 23 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This book offers practical approaches to helping a person solve his own problems. I read it through when I first purchased it (1996). Now I refer to it from time to time when I feel I need help with a particular matter. This book is easy to read, and it explains things in a professional manner for better understanding. The book offers practical techniques for solving many common and some difficult problems people experience. Teenagers can benefit reading this book because it addresses real problems which they are likely to face with real answers and stresses personal accountability for the answer to most of life's problems. I recommend it highly to everyone. It's a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful, 6 Sep 2010
This book is a life saver - probably literally. For anyone who ever suffers from "mental flu" - depression, anxiety, addiction problems, etc, this book is invaluable. It's clearly laid out, with sections for each problem, plus a useful introduction that's good at cheering you up and putting things in perspective. Each section has useful illustrative "histories", check lists and great advice. The book is well written and has an intelligent and encouraging style which is great when you need help.

This is the third copy I have bought of this book - because I keep lending it to people who really need it, and not getting it back...

5.0 out of 5 stars Review by a practising doctor, 7 Oct 2009
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I am a practising GP and frequently suggest that both my patients and my colleagues look at it. There are very few high quality, evidence-based, readable self-help tools around to which I would be prepared to entrust my patients well being and this book is one of only two that I rate. It covers pretty much every source of "hassle" in a busy 21st century life, is clearly written in a style that is accessible to the majority and, wherever possible, the authors draw on the best published evidence to support their statements and advice. The authors are highly qualified professionals (one is an Oxford clinical professor and the other a noted psychotherapist) who continue to be active in the area of self-help giving the book additional credibility. I refer to it frequently and find it has something to say to me about most of my own sources of stress. It is obviously not the answer to everything and won't necessarily substitute for a visit to your GP/counsellor etc. but as an additional tool it is invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars It got me a new job!, 29 Sep 2003
This review is from: Manage Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide (Paperback)
I can't remember why my wife bought me this book now but after reading it I changed in so many ways (for the better) that I managed to free up extra time for the things that are important to me, get over my fear of flying but more importantly gave me the confidence to get a new job. I can't rate this book enough for everyone - if you think it's not for you then read it and make your decision afterwards!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Management book that goes beyond the scope of most, 24 Jun 1999
This review is from: Manage Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide (Paperback)
As well as giving excellent advice on management and communication skills it helped me get over my phobia of dentists! Very easy to read. Very practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best all Round Guide for Mental Fitness, 24 Oct 2000
This review is from: Manage Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide (Paperback)
My friends brought me this book for my Birthday, which says alot about the way I must have been behaving towards people. Since then I have read it three times and refer back to it whenever I feel I need to. It gives pratical advice, following through with examples and explanations of why the exercises work. I suffer quite badly from social anxiety and this book has really helped me get through some very troubled times. A word of warning though, It takes alot of hard work and perseverance to make the changes suggested in this book, but it is well worth the effort. I have actualy met Gillian Butler on a Stress Management course. She is a very nice person, but looks nothing like her picture in the back of this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, loads of information and ideas, 4 July 2013
Arrived promptly, good service from seller. The authors are open and genuine enough to invite user feedback. We have not yet finished our respective copies of this book, but at over half way through, it remains solid in terms of advice and information but also in terms of presentation. Accessibility is the issue here, as well as intended readership. It seems to us that it is pitched at almost undergraduate level in terms of style whereas the content is at novice level. We can think of many people we know who might benefit from the information but for whom the presentation would be a challenge. The writing is small and closely spaced; the margins, especially at the spine, are small and make seeing the words difficult; the pages are full of text, with few opportunities for processors of information in other ways to access the information (drawings, headline quotes perhaps). The first two chapters give a useful background ad overview, but the subsequent ones, dealing with specific issues, tend towards the convoluted with confused messages about 'shoulds' for example. We had a sense that the book has been added to repeatedly in order to cover topics requested by feedback, which has resulted in it becoming unwieldy and knotted. There is a tendency to give messages like "you shouldn't be a slave to 'shoulds'", without intentional irony. Maybe it is time to take the whole book apart and restructure it, perhaps with a view to increasing accessability. It would be a pity to loose the main thrust of this book; other formats ( like 'Families and how to Survive them for example) would be worth a try. Two specifics beefs; the idea that depression is like the common cold prompted an offended response by these readers ; and for a book published by Oxford University Press, the American spellings are a real turn- off for these readers! Overall though, a book worth reading; don't shoot the messenger!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good general book, 22 Sep 2010
I liked the book but being highly interested in psychological theories of why things happen it was too practical for me and too reliant on Cognitive Behavioural practice. But I would recommend it to everyone who needs solutions to their problems rather than just information about why certain moods happen.

Manage Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide
Manage Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide by Tony Hope (Paperback - 28 Sep 1995)
Used & New from: 0.01