5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, encouraging, uplifting, 15 Nov 2000
By A Customer
Whenever I become bored or restless, dulled out by city living, or fearful that my life has become too staid, I pick this book off my shelf (my 10th copy - I keep giving them away to like-minded friends), and once again I am away on an adventure. The fact that the book involves so many disparate characters, spread over so many years, and so many locations, reminds me that travelling today is easier than it has ever been. When I see the effort involved for some of the writers to make the time, save the money, and sometimes go against the social constraints of their day; I find my paltry excuses fade away, and I am on the internet planning a trip within minutes. The book is so well thought out and geographically arranged, that almost any destination you fancy is included, and it is wonderful to read about some of the places as they were back in time. I find it inspiring, encouraging, and exciting to read, and almost always get ants in my pants to go, go, go...

5.0 out of 5 stars women's travellers' tales, 2 Sep 2009
Really extremely interesting. Very varied selection of time, right up to the late 20th century, and places. Well worth the money and definitely one that I will re-read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for those who enjoy travel or biography, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Unsuitable for Ladies: An Anthology of Women Travellers (Hardcover)
I'm so pleased to have acquired this anthology of women's travel writing. It is full of tales of adventure and moving accounts of the ways these intrepid women have dealt with unbelievable hardship. Not only does it contain a selection of beautiful writing but it is also an engrossing geographical study.

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-reading a great book, 9 July 2011
I bought this book years ago and was incredibly inspired by it. At the time I was determined to do my dissertation on Victorian women travelers - I couldn't think of anything more fascinating (imagine the research this would have entailed!) I ended up doing my dissertation on George Eliot, but after many years I'm back dipping into this wonderful book. As a writer, a Victorianist, and an armchair traveler, it's a great book for fueling my dreams.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsuitable for Ladies; An Anthology of Women Travellers, 15 Feb 2011
I find the courage and sense of adventure of early women travellers a fascinating subject. Unfortunately, I have not had time to read this, but have listened to a talk by the author about a previous book and find her research to be really thorough.

Unsuitable for Ladies: An Anthology of Women Travellers
Unsuitable for Ladies: An Anthology of Women Travellers by Jane Robinson (Hardcover - 19 May 1994)
Used & New from: 0.01