5.0 out of 5 stars Book of Common Prayer 1664
Great little book of Common Prayer, it's small enough to fit into your pocket, and packed full of information that you need if you are attending a BCP service.
Published on 18 May 2011 by Daryl

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
Thank you for my book of common prayer. However, the product sent bears no relation to the pictures displayed. This is misleading and resulted in a sense of disappointment. Surely, the pictures should be exact pictures of the product to be dispatched.
Published on 9 Nov 2010 by Fratribus

5.0 out of 5 stars Book of Common Prayer 1664, 18 May 2011
Daryl "Daryl" (Wimblington, Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Book of Common Prayer: Pew Edition: Bourgeois Prayer Book (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars With all my heart, and mind, and strength..., 8 May 2007
Kurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (London, SW1) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This Book of Common Prayer (1662) is the 'primary' BCP, used by the Church of England proper, the original branch of the Anglicans. There have been many books that have had the title 'Book of Common Prayer' since the first one appeared in 1549; it has been used continuously in one edition or another in the Anglican tradition since 1559; the 'main' edition remains this 1662 edition. Churches in other nations (Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, the United States, Canada) have done revised Books of Common Prayer, but they always use this as the touchstone.

A bishop in the Episcopal church once said to me, 'We don't have a theology that we have to believe -- what we have is the prayerbook.' Please forgive the absence of context for this phrase -- while he would say that this statement in isolation is an exaggeration, and I would agree, nonetheless his statement serves to highlight both the importance of and the strength of the Book of Common Prayer.

To be an Anglican, one does not have to subscribe to any particular systematic theological framework. One does not have to practice a particular brand of liturgical style. One does not have to have an approved politico-theological viewpoint. One can be a conservative, liberal or moderate; one can be high church, low church, or broad; one can be charismatic, evangelical, or mainline traditional -- one can be any number of things in a rich diversity of choices, and the Book of Common Prayer can still be the book upon which spirituality and worship is centred.

The Book of Common Prayer is not, in fact, a book that changed my life. It is a book that changes my life. Even though it is not the primary book of my own church, it continues to provide for spiritual insight and development; it continues to guide my worship and my theology. It continues to help me grow. The words are part of a liturgy now shared by Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian and other liturgical churches, in different combination and priority.

Gerry Janzen, an Anglican professor at my seminary, said to me recently as we were lunching and having a fascinating and wide-ranging conversation (in a unique way that only Gerry Janzen is capable of doing) that he strives for that kind of memory and understanding that is so complete that one forgets what one has learned. He recounted to me his experience of working with his book on Job -- he had done a lot of research, development of ideas, writing, and organisation, and then set it aside for a time. When he picked up the topic later, he decided to begin by writing, and then go back to the research, other notes and writings he had done earlier. He was surprised to see, in comparing the work, that he had in fact duplicated much of the material -- he had internalised the information, incorporated it so well into his thinking and being, that it came forward without effort. It is this kind of relationship I feel I have developed with the Book of Common Prayer.

To be sure, there are pages of information that I don't know. I haven't memorised the historical documents; I still consult the calendars; I haven't learned all of the collects by heart. But it has become a part of me. When was asked to put together a liturgy for a houseblessing for Episcopalian friends, there were rooms that called for collects that had not been written -- I wrote new collects and inserted them into the liturgy.

'Can you do that?' the householder asked, worried about the flow and the approval of the priest doing the blessing.

'I trust Kurt to write collects -- his probably belong in the BCP,' the priest said in response, and I appreciated her vote of confidence. That was perhaps the first confirmation to me of this sense of incorporation of the book into my life.

From his first edition, Cranmer distinguished in his terminology the words minister and priest, and the two should not be viewed as interchangeable. A priest is a minister, but a minister need not be a priest. This become part of the early development of the idea of all people being ministers to each other, which is also a concept that has varying acceptance and fulfillment in actual practice over the history of Anglicanism.

One of my favourite prayers derives from this book, part of the English prayer book from the very first one in 1549:

Almighty God, who hast given us grace at this time with one accord to make our common supplication unto thee, and hast promised through thy well-beloved Son that when two or three are gathered together in his name, thou wilt be in the midst of them: Fulfill now, O Lord, the desires and petitions of thy servants, as may be best for us, granting us in this world knowledge of thy truth, and in the world to come, life everlasting. Amen.

This prayer, like many things in the BCP, has moved to a new location from the first edition, but nonetheless the spirit of the BCP shows a circuitous but continuous development from the first English Prayer Book to the current varieties. Likewise, other denominations have gleaned insights, prayers and structures from this and other versions of the BCP.

The Book of Common Prayer, as a single unit and as a greater tradition of which this book is a part, is an Anglican gift to the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for daily prayer and Bible reading, 29 Jan 2014
P. Blackham (London) - See all my reviews
As a family we use the BCP every morning and evening. It is a wonderful resource, teaching us to pray more deeply and taking us through the Psalms every month.

5.0 out of 5 stars book of common prayer, 19 Jan 2014
just what my wife wanted for her studies, and is over the moon with it, and I do not know what else there is to say

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, solid pew edition, 31 July 2013
A. Pendlebury (UK) - See all my reviews
Product Description states clearly this is a Pew Edition and yes it is a nice robust prayer book. The paper will withstand daily "thumbing" as is good thickness. Paper is bright white and text clear to read. I would have liked two page keeping ribbons but will try and stick my own on. Try following Holy Communion without the said ribbons and it will involve a lot of page turning. Those photos showing some kind of book cover with handles should be removed as that is not what you are getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for all ages, 10 Jun 2007
Fmg Sarah "Monomachos" (Mauritius) - See all my reviews
The 1662 BCP has, since i discovered it 3 years ago, changed my concept of how, when and why use rules and forms to worship. I was born a Roman Catholic and yet, in the BCP , I've found a constant source of meditation and comfort. This jewel, nay crown of English literature has a lot to bring to the Modern Man who struggles between his office and bed, having no time to spare for God and his fellow human beings. The Churches are emptying...no wonder-they have forsaken those forms of worships which gave them the moral strength and maternal meekness which the Modern Man needs so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Sep 2013
Neat and clear volume which is very helpful for keeping me up to date with collects and readings for every day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 9 Nov 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Aug 2014
Great item great service

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the only one, 31 Jan 2012
Dan the Bug Man (Hilton Head Island, SC United States) - See all my reviews
Product is not what is pictured on the Amazon web site. Called two times about this and have not received an replacement as pictured. I did get a replacement which was the same as the initial product. The carry case is missing and I wonder if it is part of the product. It is in the photo. Amazon says it is checking and will get back to me which it has not. I am still waiting. I would recommend the product but check if it is a pictured. Also, all services are not in the book though they should be and I expected such.

Book of Common Prayer: Pew Edition: Bourgeois Prayer Book
Book of Common Prayer: Pew Edition: Bourgeois Prayer Book by Oxford University Press (Hardcover - 3 Jun 1965)
9.20