5.0 out of 5 stars The best introduction to Special Relativity I have read., 19 Mar 2000
By A Customer
I have read many books on relativity (special and general) and have always been left with many questions. Most books, it seems, indulge in hand-waving explanations rather than finding a clear and easy to understand explanation of key concepts. This book is an exception. Starting from first principles, it addresses the concepts in a logical way and each chapter leaves the reader in happy awe at their new understanding.
This book is a must for anyone who wants to develop an understanding of Special Relativity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best introduction to Special Relativity, 11 Nov 2011
D. Buick (UK) - See all my reviews
I first read and owned this book in the late 80s whilst studying for a physics degree. In the intervening years I lent my copy to someone who subsequently failed to return it. It has been missed, so much so that I recently bought a used copy of it to cure my longing - sad, I know! It is because I have recently re-acquired it that I am writing this review to tell anyone who cares that this really is a great book.

Now I also have a copy of another MIT Introductory Physics book by A.P. French, namely Newtonian Mechanics which I have to say is not such a great book as it is overly long and verbose. So I can only conclude that the Special Relativity book is just that, a bit special.

Despite the fact that the price has soared since I bought it I can still recommend this book as it is fairly short, clear, concise and readable ( well, as readable as any textbook can realistically be - I nearly wrote, relativistically ).

It was and still is to me the best introductory text book on Special Relativity available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes,it's the best. ( I wish there was a better binding ), 4 Aug 2008
I have read IT : in my opinion I think to be impossible find a comparable
book for SR.
Bad binding: poor paperback .

Special relativity (Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Introductory physics series)
Used & New from: £39.99