5.0 out of 5 stars Life direction
I am so excited about finding this book--finally. I first read it in the mid-1940's when I was about 10 years old. Now I can share this with my grandson who is approaching age 10. Perhaps it will stimulate and excite him enough to give his life the same direction it gave mine.
Published on 15 July 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to explain racism to your little scientist!
Published on 12 July 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Life direction, 15 July 1999
This review is from: Microbe Hunters (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining account of the founders of microbiology., 23 July 1997
This review is from: Microbe Hunters (Paperback)
This book should put all other science stories to shame! First published in 1926, de Kruif elegantly and creatively describes the life and times of microbe hunters, from the very first man to peer into a lense and see the "wretched beasties." The stories are humerous, includes the family influences and accidental occurances with each discovery. A great addition for any science or medical buff! Also enjoyable but a little more tough to read "The Hot Zone" and "The Andromeda Strain" and "The Comming Plauge". I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book makes the history of microbiology a true romance., 17 May 1999
This review is from: Microbe Hunters (Paperback)
Years ago, as a nursing student, I was enthralled by the intrigue created in the history of microbiology by the author. The most famous scientists I had studied about in textbooks suddenly became my heroes, discovering invisible enemies of humanity, and waging all-out wars in their battles to save us. To this day, I feel this book did more in promoting good handwashing techniques than all my nursing instructors ever could. I was thrilled to find the book still accessible through Amazon. It is a "must read" for all healthcare personnel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration for the Next Generation of Microbiologists, 9 Nov 1998
This review is from: Microbe Hunters (Paperback)
Many of today's leading lights in medical research cite this book as a major influence. The language is a bit stilted by today's less literate standards but do not let that dissuade from reading it (yes, out loud if needs be) to your children. It communicates the romance of science and thrill of discovery far better than many a new work. An antidote to the lethargic pablum that is today's school texts.

4.0 out of 5 stars I received a second hand book despite paying for a new one, but eventually the seller sent a replacement new book, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Microbe Hunters (Paperback)
I bought this book for my daughter for Christmas. This book was around 27 and arrived the day after Boxing day, I was disappointed that she didn't receive it in time for Christmas but my biggest shock was when she opened it, as it had USED stamped inside it's front cover.
I immediately contacted Elite Digital UK, who initially were quite unhelpful and made me feel that I was in the wrong for wanted what a paid for - a NEW book. We exchanged many emails then just as I contacted Trading Standards for advice they offered me three options, send the book back at my expense and receive a refund once they received it, which would be several weeks later, accept the used book I had and a partial refund but the used book was going to cost me half the price of a new one which was very expensive and the 3rd option was to choose to have a new copy of the book if they had it in stock. Why they offered me 3 options I don't know as I told them repeatedly all I wanted was what I paid for - a NEW book. Eventually I received the new book mid January and sent it to my daughter as a belated present.
I have given the book and the company 4 stars, as they did finally admit that one of their staff must of sent the wrong book & they apologised agreeing to send the new book asap.
My advice to the Company is, in future if you want 100% customer satisfaction then treat your customers with respect from the first email, don't challenge them and always try to sort the problem out that day. To customers, the NEW book that finally arrived was of good quality, undamaged and arrived within the time stated. As this company normally has a good rating I would advise you to carry on buying with confidence, as this may be a one off problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars milestone of popular scientific literature, 10 Aug 2012
No doubt Albert Sabin was attracted to microbiology by this book! A handful of short stories that tell young people how the pioneers of microbiology fought against invisibkle enemies.Although written ages ago, it is still the best of its kind and the first one too, as far as I know-

2.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to explain racism to your little scientist!, 12 July 1999
This review is from: Microbe Hunters (Paperback)
The Microbe Hunters relates in breathless and enthusiastic prose the stories of the great heroes of microbiology. If you buy this book for your budding scientist, however, be aware that the author shares the racial and social biases of his time and class (mid 1920's). As a result, the many chapters set in Africa are marred by language and attitudes towards Africans that most contemporary Americans would find very offensive. So, be prepared.

1.0 out of 5 stars Summer Reading, 6 Sep 1999
This review is from: Microbe Hunters (Paperback)
I agree tiffanyaou@hotmail.com, this isn't that great of a book for kids (especially to read over thesummer). I mean if you like to read books that have very confusing words, go right a head.

2.0 out of 5 stars I would rather read the dictionary, 5 Aug 1999
This review is from: Microbe Hunters (Paperback)
This book was given to us by our school, for summer reading. I don't like reading in the first place, but they make us read it on our VACATION!?!? And it has to deal with science, my worst subject. It took me a while to read and while it started out boring...surprisingly it got a microbit better. Mabey I'm just not the scientist...or the person with paitients, or the kind of person that grew up like these other people that put their comment in. I mean, it was written in what? 1940? Mabey I just don't understand this author, anyway, thats what I thought of it. You can Email me if you dissagree, but I'm not trying to start an argument. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Also Email me if you had to read this because of your school/work, and didn't like it.

Microbe Hunters
Microbe Hunters by Paul De Kruif (Paperback - Feb 1995)
Used & New from: 0.01