on 12 April 2015
Orwell can be trusted because he knows all about bias. Reading this helps you understand the war better and appreciate clear writing.
on 24 November 2014
Vivid and still very current, in light of the Catalan wish for independence. Gripping and informative, bringing the civil war alive.
on 28 August 2013
It is a very interesting story about the Spanish Civil war, it is easy to read and keeps you turning the page,its quite amazing.
on 17 January 2013
Would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys George Orwell novels. Bought for a relative who is currently living in Catalonia.
on 2 November 2014
That's all I can say, brilliant read, enthralling account of the spanish civil war, fascinating stuff from a wonderful writer.
on 27 March 2014
Quite simply one of the best books I have ever read. You feel as if you were there experiencing with him what was happening.
on 8 August 2013
In many ways I found it boring but then his humour saves the day. Very informative - and depressing - about the whole war.
on 13 January 2013
This was on our bookclub reading list. It was a popular book enjoyed by all club members. Arrived well packed and quickly
on 25 February 2013
It's a classic read. Others have described it far better than I can so all I'd say is read and appreciate it.
on 13 August 2012
The thing I liked most about this book is that I could see where Orwell drew his inspirations for 1984 and to a less extent, Animal Farm. I've got really into his books recently, it seems a lot of people do not know of any books other than 1984 and Animal Farm. I enjoyed Road to Wigan Pier but didn't like the 2 distinct sections of the book and frankly, a lot of the political stuff was a bit over my head and I got bored with it, but the first half was excellent.

I feel I could read his books in any order over and over again, and see how each echoes and links in to one another, like a big interlinking flow chart. In Homage to Catalonia he writes of exchanging a 'ghostly wink' with former comrades in order not to give oneself away, a theme prevalent in 1984. Orwell's manner of writing is very evocative and engaging, perhaps more so than his novels.

If you're starting out with reading George Orwell's other books, this non-fiction is probably the best place to start. Such a shame he died young.