Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 August 2008
Hard to imagine, but this book about the current state of the world of wine blends the thrill of an expose with the wisdom imparted by a primer, while written with the verve of Tom Wolfe. I learned more about the good stuff, about wine snobbery and - most important of all - about how to enjoy wine 'without the tears' than I ever expected. Not bad for something that costs less than a decent bottle of Cannonau.
on 7 January 2013
I loved reading this. Alice really knows how to interweave her personal stories with the wine-world discoveries she makes. This makes it stand out amongst other wine books. This and her other book (Naked Wine) are very special in that they're well-written, highly personal stories, that make you understand the (wine) world a lot better. You may not always agree with Alice's point of view, but that might even make it more valuable.
on 24 January 2011
Although some criticism towards the monopoly of Robert Parker might be welcome, this book by far does not live to its subtitle. I have the impression that the author is just plainly jealous and I even doubt that she is a wine tasting challenger for even a mediocre connoisseur. On certain points (for instance the stance of old versus new barolo) she is completely out of balance. In general she considers every new methodology in wine making by definition wrong and unacceptable. I agree tastes can differ but some consideration for what is happening in research labs of universities and others might be worthwile. Not everything new is by definition also bad. She did not save the world from Parkerization and with this book she definetely will not be able to claim this neither.
on 6 December 2009
Unfortunately I cannot review this book, since I agree with everything the author says. Well, except maybe the title, because indeed the world has not been saved yet. So instead of a review this could be a call for more disciples for this very urgent cause, which still is: Save the world from the influences of Robert Parker, and I can add: Save the world from people, who refer to Parker notes.

In support of this cause I can only recommend this book and advise you to buy it!