Where is Joe Merchant? (Harvest Book)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£10.20+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 27 May 2005
Jimmy Buffett knows the tropics, and generally sings about what he knows. This well known fact is liable to colour people's opinion about this book, potentially unfairly. Were it not JB writing the book, readers would likely be impressed by the author's knowledge of and love for his subject matter. Because it is JB, readers who do not like his music are likely to see it as simple empire building on his part, noting the many references to his own songs and life.
The fact is that the book stands alone well, is enjoyable, and for a book of 460 pages, rolls along at a pretty good pace. The mystery (or mysteries) is well put together, and has enough twists and turns to keep you interested and has some real surprises.
The settings are exceptionally well developed, and the characters are well drawn to a point. This is not really a critisism, but just a warning that the plot is very Indiana Jones like which requires that the players, especially the leads tend towards the old fashioned Saturday Matinee type.
I have no intention of giving away the plot, but if you fancy a genuinly distracting read, about larger than life heroes, vilains and feisty dames set in a world of sea planes, modern day pirates and tropical locales, then this book is very much for you.
It goes without saying that if you are a fan of JB's music, then you will love this book, but even if you don't but do enjoy a well written, fast moving, modern set adventure, then take my advice, forget who the author is and just let yourself enjoy this book for what it is.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 4 January 2011
After thoroughly enjoying my first Jimmy Buffett novel, "A Salty Piece of Land" I decided once more to dip my toes into the warm waters of his world & wasn't disappointed. It's another slice of far-fetched adventure set amidst the swaying palm trees of the Caribbean, this time recounting the tales of charismatic seaplane pilot Frank Bama as he flies from one tropical dilemna to another. If you like your books full of escapism - I highly recommend reading one of Buffett's books. It's a perfect tonic for a grey & dreary week-night in the UK & whilst the books may not be to everyone's taste, the writing is a lot better than many give Buffet credit for & the stories don't fail to raise a smile.

I did prefer "A Salty Piece of Land" to Joe Merchant but a large part of that may well be down to the fact that it was my first outing of Jimmy's, I do however feel it was a more alluring story with greater scope, locations & characters.

Buffett has been hugely successful in the USA as a writer & it's easy to see why. Often however the Brits & Americans have differing tastes and I can't help but think that we're missing out as Buffett's stories & writing are far more enjoyable than the majority of un-imaginative trash that appears to be lining our local supermarket stores for the last decade or so.

Looking forward to my next slice of Jimmy Buffett when boredom sets in !
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again