5.0 out of 5 stars Examines the mysteries of life, love, and happiness.
Published on 20 Mar 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Too nervewracking to be enjoyable.
Published on 12 Aug 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Examines the mysteries of life, love, and happiness., 20 Mar 1998
This review is from: Snow (Hardcover)
Vivid imagery in this book places the reader alongside the author, to understand the probing questions, to feel the painful discoveries, and to applaud the healing insights she discovers in her struggle to find her true self. While the story line is fairly "heavy", the development of the "plot" is imaginative and delightful, making this a very enjoyable reading experience. One can almost believe in the actual existence of talking and dancing cats as well as Spam-loving bears - they come to life as observers of the world around them, offering support and insight when they are most needed. If read straight through in one sitting, the reader could overlook some of the profound truths as they are revealed. Betsy Howie demonstrates extraordinary insight into woman's truggle with the true meaning of life, love, and happiness in this ever-changing world. I could easily identify with the woman in the story, and thus found answers to some of my own questions and struggles. I await in eager anticipation for further books by Betsy Howie!

4.0 out of 5 stars Isolation repairs a split personality., 9 Mar 1998
This review is from: Snow (Hardcover)
Lots of people beat stress by turning to large bodies of water. They swim, they fish, they daydream on these waters. The Atlantic, the Pacific, the Gulf--they each have calming properties. But our heroine hasn't heard of the healing properties of blue water, so she turns to an isolated cabin practically buried in the snow. Her healing starts when physical pain from the cold snow intrudes on the life of her mind. Each of her split personalities pulls together as she first succombs to her inner pain then triumphs over it. Survival in a snow bound cabin becomes her first priority. The reader is asked to make a tremendous suspension of disbelief in order to accept the heroine's cat with split personalities too. But if you can accept that she talks to herself as one of several personnas, then why not her cat?

2.0 out of 5 stars Too nervewracking to be enjoyable., 12 Aug 1998
This review is from: Snow (Hardcover)
I'm usually a good judge of which books I'll love, but not this time. My friend warned me that Snow quickly disolves into psychobabble, but was worth reading for the cat antics. Right she was! Perhaps I didn't feel well the day I began reading this annoying book, but within the first 20 pages, I hated it. It was hard to finish, but I was intrigued with the unusual talents the cats displayed, and I kept hoping the story would become less uncomfortable to read. It just had no flow. The subject matter did not bother me, but the way it was written did. I hardly ever read a book I don't want to finish, but this one was a struggle. To the author's credit, I found Vinny and Sophie the cats very charming. Perhaps Ms. Howie's next book will be easier on the nerves.

Snow
Snow by Betsy Howie (Hardcover - Feb 1998)
Used & New from: £0.99