5.0 out of 5 stars The Maker of Heaven's Trousers - Daniele Vare
Published 15 months ago by RachelWalker

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather tedious
I bought this book because I have appreciated for many years Varè's autobiography, " The Laughing Diplomat". However, "The Maker of Heavenly Trousers" does not live up to the author's previous reputation as a witty and observant diplomat.
Published 15 months ago by Affonso J. Santos

5.0 out of 5 stars The Maker of Heaven's Trousers - Daniele Vare, 4 Aug 2013
RachelWalker "RachelW" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Maker of Heavenly Trousers (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I've not got too much to say about this really. It's exotic, it's interesting, it's pleasingly written. It's incredibly interesting to see early 20th century peking through the eyes of a foreign dignitary. I must admit (dirty secret) i'd rather read books like this than books written originally in chinese by chinese authors, because the perspective is more my own - that of an outsider. I find the vague culture too difficult to grasp in the novels of the orient that I have read. This is touching, full of stories, full of immense charm. recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather tedious, 25 July 2013

The Maker of Heavenly Trousers (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Maker of Heavenly Trousers (Penguin Modern Classics) by Daniele Varè (Paperback - 2 Aug 2012)