Top critical review
13 people found this helpful
Interesting but far fetched
on 1 June 2010
I love the BDB series. I haven't reviewed any others because I love them all, with the possible exception of Lover Enshrined & thought it would take too long to do so. I am reviewing this book because it has just come out.
I too like other reviewers have felt the newer installments of the BDB are slightly lacking. I was confused with Lover Enshrined when Phury was thrown out of BDB when in all other books BDB have always dealt with problems internally & in the earlier books you are kept more up to date with the other member BDB. That is what should have been in this book more, more interaction with the other members. Make the books a complete series, make them all interactive, like the older ones are.
The story of JM & Xhex is interesting & I think its about time they had their story, because we have been waiting for so long. However tough Xhex is, it was completely awful & shocking that she bounced back so quickly from her ordeal. If you think JM is still suffering from his which happened many years ago & Xhex is just completely fine 2 days after her horrific & much worse ordeal. It makes no sense, is lessening this awful crime & is contradicting itself.
I like the character of JM which sustains you through the book & therefore enjoyed it & this is why I have given it 3 stars.
The problems with it
1) Xhex recovering so quickly
2) the awful stuff with the kids & Murder, which I didn't even read, just skipped the chapters with it in
3) the awful old world language which was cringeworthy
4) Other members of BDB not involved in book & would be more interesting if they were
5) The lash storyline, its getting boring & has dragged on too long
6) No One is the most cringeworthy, worst name of any character I have come across. I know the names are pretty out there & are supposed to mean something, but this name is particularly awful & it made me cringe.
1) I enjoy JM storyline & was glad to see Tohr back
2) Quinn & Blay is very interesting - I am hoping the next book will be about them - does anyone know?
3) I enjoy JR Wards style of writing & I am attached to the characters
4) Not too much about the lessers besides lash which is good as it sometimes gets repetitive & boring.
5) I like Xhex, just wish she had more time to recover from her horrific ordeal.
Overall I enjoyed this book, but not as much as the older ones. I am still looking forward to the next installment. Fingers crossed for no more Murder/journalist stuff & more interaction with the whole of BDB.