4.0 out of 5 stars Different, but good...........
Published on 1 Jun 2010 by CeeCee

Published on 4 Jan 2010 by A. Melville

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, but good..........., 1 Jun 2010
After the first few pages I truly thought I had picked up a Cecelia Ahern book by mistake. I very nearly gave up there and then. However, I persevered and was glad that I did. The "spirit", which we only hear from very occasionally throughout the book, quickly takes second place to the actual storyline, which in true Marian Keyes fashion always has a black streak running through it, and various twists and turns to keep you guessing. Not for Marian the chic lit stalwart of girl meets boy, fall in love, fall out, get together in the end. This author's novels always turn out a bit different to what the reader is actually expecting, and although I agree with other reviewers that this one doesn't have the usual laugh out loud moments, it did keep me hooked to the very last word. The characters in Star all have their very own personalities, not always likeable, but in my opinion more true to life than the sickly sweet heroines of other authors in this genre. I urge you not to give up on this one, but to keep going and get into a very enjoyable, and different novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant doesnt cover it, 9 July 2010
S. J. Virtue "sjv" (UK) - See all my reviews
What I can tell you is that The Brightest Star in the Sky had me hooked for a week, and despite my desperate dragging it out attempts, I finished it way too soon.

You know what? I didn't get what that bold letter thingymagig was you know, until almost right at the very end... and whilst I only cried the once (a miracle for me with a Marian in my hands) they were right good fat cleansing tears that left me feeling calm and happy.

She has a knack does Ms Keyes. A gift, a knack, whatever you want to call it. But she writes like a dream, creates believable characters, makes you laugh as well as cry and draws you deep into the story till you can't bear to put her books down to go to work, go to bed or go to the dinner table.

66 Star Street is a converted house with 4 flats, and this story intertwines the lives of all the inhabitants - soon to be 40 Katie and her workaholic boyfriend Conall, angry taxi driver Lydia and her Polish flatmates, telephone psychic Jemima and her gardening son Fionn and married couple Maeve and Matt.

And yes, whilst some may argue that so much "life" would never happen in such a small space, and such a small amount of time - I don't care what those people say. They can go to hell on a spacehopper as far as I'm concerned.

By hook or by crook you should get yourself to a shop this weekend and buy yourself either the big gold hardback edition or the brand new paperback edition of this book, stop off at the supermarket on the way home for a couple of bottles of something pink and fizzy, sit on your stoop in the sun and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what it seems, just like its characters, 7 Jan 2010
Sammi (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Right away I should say that this doesn't provide the same amount of laughs as other Marian Keyes books, but so what? It took me a little while to get into this, but I got so engrossed that I read over half of it in one sitting today (the snow was good for something at least!), so it's worth sticking with.

To begin with most of the characters seem fairly straightforward (Jemima, an 88 year old woman who lives with her dog Grudge and dotes on her foster son, bolshy Lydia and her Polish flatmates who are scared of her, career woman Katie and loved up married couple Maeve and Matt) but once you read on and get to know them none of their lives are really as simple as they seem, especially Maeve and Matt's.

Forget about the 'magic' element which quite a few people seem to be griping about (no, I don't think she is trying to copy Cecelia Ahern's style - there's a short story that appears in either 'Under the Duvet' or 'Further Under the Duvet' which is about an angel who's come to earth so it's not like it's a radical departure from anything she's ever written before). I hate that sort of thing too and yes there's a slight mystical element to it but, like her other books, at its heart this is still very much a story about ordinary people and their lives.

Please do read it, but make sure you put the effort into sticking with it and hopefully you'll end up loving it as much as I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was in two minds over this book!, 26 July 2010
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I was so excited to get this book for my Birthday last year, as I have really enjoyed previous books by Marian, but I could not get into this book at first and put it away in disappointment! Then I was looking for a book to take on Holiday this year and I dug it out and gave it another go and I have to say I really enjoyed it in the end! The story kept me wondering all the way through as to what it was about and I finished the book thinking how very clever the story was!

All in all a very enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, fun read! Give Marian a break....!, 26 April 2010
Lisa Richards "Lisa R" (Bulwell, Nottingham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review containers spoilers - please be warned!

I've been a little dismayed to read the amount of negative reviews this book has been given. Lots of people profess to be Marian Keyes fans and say they are disappointed as this is not her usual type of subject matter, or style of writing etc. The magical/fantasy element seems to have thrown some people, but I wonder if these same readers have ever read any of her short stories? I would assume so if they are fans of all her other work? Short stories about things like Aliens, for example...!

I have read all of Marian's work, although I do prefer the novels that feature just one main character and one voice - namely the Walsh sisters! But I enjoy the other novels too - This Charming Man I enjoyed far more than Sushi for Beginners; she seems to get better each time with the multi-layered, multi-character novels. The Brightest Star in the Sky is no exception. I will admit that I struggled to connect with some of the characters - Fionn for example, who seems to fall in love at the drop of the hat, with any woman he sees. It made me think the mystical force at work at number 66 Star Street was Cupid, but I was wrong and Marian keeps us guessing until she is ready to reveal what's happening. Characters who absolutely jumped off the page and made me laugh were Lydia, Maeve, Andrei and Katie. As the story unfolds, it starts to jump quickly from character to character and as soon as you get engrossed in one storyline, the next chapter featuring someone else is upon you. It keeps you guessing about all the characters and what it's all leading to. The end doesn't disappoint. It may not sit well with some people to have a little `supernatural' stuff in there, but I was fine with it. Marian also tackles the subject of rape, never one to shy away from relevant issues and face them head on.

It may not be her `usual' novel but its good fun and an easy, enjoyable read. Writers have to develop and try newer things rather than fall back on tried and tested methods otherwise people will soon bore of reading the same re-churned novel over and over.
I say well done Marian! And please hurry up and write the last Walsh sisters tale......

5.0 out of 5 stars Marian's Best!, 1 Oct 2009
Sharon L. Ward "sharon" (Queensland, Australia) - See all my reviews
This book came out in Australia last week and I bought it the day it hit the shelves. I love all of Marian's books and I believe this is her BEST EVER. It kept me guessing till the end. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It is full of twists and turns and is absolutely brilliant. ELEVEN OUT OF TEN!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Brightest Star in the Sky, 25 Mar 2011
I love all Marion Keyes' books and this one is no exception. At the moment, I'm just halfway through but it's a delicious treat, like dipping into a box of gorgeous chocolates. No Milk Tray here! All the characters are extremely engaging and it's charmingly written as usual. I'll be sorry when I've finished it and hope she writes another one soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 11 July 2010
N. Westland (Dorking, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is an absolutely wonderful read. I devoured it in a weekend - I literally could not put it down. To be honest, all of her books have that effect on me - they are all so well written, clever/sad/funny and make you think. Many people are griping that it is not a 'laugh out loud' read - well I don't think that is entirely true but the book does make you think and really gets your emotions going and I was gutted when I finished it as I wanted it to go on and on!
Buy this book - you will not be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Come on Marian, get back to what we love most...... your humour, 4 Jan 2010
A. Melville (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have always loved MK books and am always keen to hear of another of her publications, but this book had a dark, depressing edge which disappointed me. I usually look forward to Marion's sense of humour, her dry wit and Irish craic, which cheers me up and keeps me interested but this book made me laugh only twice. It was most depressing and sombre and made me dread picking it up again. I did finish it and it did pick up towards the end, but please, Marion go back to the way you used to write - the comic situations you excel at and not the despair I felt when reading this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed by one of my favourite authors, 28 Dec 2009
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I've been a massive Marian Keyes fan since way back in 1995 when I read 'Watermelon', and I've read every one of her book since then, some have been better than others, especially those that feature the Walsh family, but I've enjoyed all of them.

Marian Keyes' books always contain hilarious one-liners, wittily drawn characters that are warm and that the reader cares about whilst usually dealing with quite serious and often serious issues.

To me, this almost feels like s lagging off one of my best mates, but The Brightest Star in the Sky really has been a big let-down. Whilst still dealing with some difficult and very emotional topics, this novel just didnt engage me at all. I found the concept of the novel just so very strange - for some reason she has decided to have a narrator who is not of this earth - the Brightest Star of the title. The time line of the novel is so confusing - it starts on Day 60 something, then jumps back day by day, then jumps back a few years - which becomes really confusing. The very short chapters concentrate on one of the many characters in the story, which again becomes quite difficult to follow - there are just too many characters, some of them are pretty one-dimensional and to be honest, I just didnt really care about them at all. The characters all revolve around 66 Star Street in Dublin - their lives become mixed up together, but it felt as though a few of the relationships were just so outrageous and had been added to the story purely for effect.

There are still some quite funny parts of the novel, and a few good plots, but on the whole - this really is a massive disappointment and I think that most die-hard Keyes fans will feel the same way.

It's a massive tome of a book with over 600 pages and I was determined to make it to the end in the hope that maybe it would all pull together in the end, but sadly, I closed the book after finishing it with just a sigh of relief.

I dont know why Marian Keyes has chosen this concept for the novel, maybe she's seen the success of Cecilia Ahern? The concept of the story is very similar to Ahern's book called If You Could See Me Now (which I also really disliked). I really hope that this was an experiment for Keyes and that her next book is back to her usual standards - personally, I'd love to see another book about the Walsh family.

The Brightest Star in the Sky
The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian Keyes (Audio CD - 21 Jan 2010)
Used & New from: 7.11