on 11 January 2008
If you haven't read the first three books in the series cast aside the rock and join humanity!

This is by far on of the best books that Butcher (hell, anybody)has ever come up with and I would be including the amazing Dresden Files 'White Night' in that list.

'Captain's Fury' has the same mix of epic fantasy and political intrigue that has made the series so successful while still managing to step up the drama and take the plot and the characters to the next level.

I have to admit that i was surprised that Butcher went the way he did in this novel (i really am trying not to give too much away), but it really strengthens the story and you realise as you continue to read on, that this is what Tavi needs. Also, minor characters are given more of the spotlight than i thought would be strictly necessary but it's never for long enough for us to forget what's going on with our other heroes.

Old enemies like the Vord are not as threatening as they have been in past books, they're more of a dark foreshadowing of things to come. Far from detracting, this allows the already full plot to come to fruition without being rushed. The clash with the Canim is still as brutal as ever, backstabbing politicians are still sneaking around waiting to strike, the First Lord and his cursors are still trying to outrun old age against huge odds and among it all, Tavi's still finding time to stop and see the Leviathans (best scene EVER, hands down).

I've rarely read a book where i've found nothing wrong with it but Jim Butcher is my favourite author for a reason. Even if you're only going to read one Codex of Alera book, 'Captain's Fury' should be the one.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2010
Just finished the sixth (and final) one of this series and really enjoyed them.

Highly recommended as a fantasy series

I finally got them on the basis of the being a fan of The Dresden Files, so I had high hopes, and I started reading as I had just got the sixth (and final) one ... I hate having to wait for a year between each book in a series, my memory is awful !

I did struggle to get going in the first book, but I'm very glad I persisted.

Ok, the books are not some deep cerebral world shattering tome, but you're not expecting that.
What they are is good entertaining fantasy with a nice world, plenty of ideas, grand battles and good vs evil.
The switch in each book from nothing through Academ, Cursor, Captain, Princeps and finally First Lord was a nice idea, along with the changes in the "enemy". It was interesting to see the threads of plot stretch across the series. Each book is a stand-alone story, but they form that "arc" that makes all the great series.

I was cheering for the good guys all the way to the end ... Tavi, Kitai, Isana, Amara, Karg, Max, Marcus and many more.

Go out and buy the set ... you'll enjoy them
on 9 December 2010
This is the fourth book in the Codex Alera sequence by Jim Butcher, a high fantasy story following the story of Tavi as he grows into manhood and learns the destiny that lies before him.

I'm growing ambivalent about this series. I enjoy every book - but not enough to devour every single page in a single sitting. I find some parts of the books enormously exciting and moving and generally fantastic. And then sometimes I find myself flipping pages without any real interest in what comes next. I reached the last one hundred pages of Captain's Fury and found that it took me three days to finish reading. Three days! For one hundred pages!

I'm getting tired of saying that this novels are light and fluffy, and perfect for people looking for a David Eddings-type read. There are only so many times and ways you can say this before it becomes dull to readers of the reviews.

But the fact remains that these books are indeed light and fluffy! The characterisation is good; the plot and pacing of said plot are good; the prose is well-written and reads smoothly. All of it is good. None of it is GREAT. By the time you reach the fourth book in a series like this, you are positively aching for some proper blood, thunder, swearing and down and dirty sex. The Codex Alera books are almost TOO wholesome!

That being said, I do want to recommend the books. I want to recommend them to people just setting out on their fantasy reading adventure. Where people like me picked David Eddings, young adults embarking on their first speculative fiction novels should choose the Codex Alera. They are highly suitable for younger readers - nothing is too complicated, there are deliciously scary moments but the person reading will not be frightened. If your youngster has raced through the Harry Potter novels and enjoyed them - including the darker points - they will gain a great deal from the imagination and humour on show in Captain's Fury and the three books preceding it.

It's a good job by Jim Butcher - but does exactly what it says on the tin, and I'm ready for something a little darker at this point before I plunge back into the series.
on 20 December 2008
This is the forth book in Butcher's amazing Fantasy sequence Codex Alera. This series has everything a Fantasy lover could ever want, it's beautifully written and written with intelligence to boot, it's fast paced with action sequences to rival the best writers the Fantasy world has to offer. There is also a very unique magical system that is up there with the best i've ever read, then again what do we expect from the author of the Dresden Files?

This story is personally one of my favourites, the development of the story and characters is great. We see people like Tavi come into his own while commanding his army against the Canim threat, he also has to learn the hard realities of politics within the military system when a new commanding officer is assigned to command the Canim front. We see just how far the First Lord will go to protect his nation and his unknown heir apparent. All of our favourite characters are back and evolving into something more, some of them we love, so we love to hate and so we simply hate. We also see the story develop from the battles with the invading Canin two years previously to the political backbiting of today over who get the glory over the Canim threat and as always the politicians make a mess of things leaving Tavi to clean it up.

As I said before this book has it all, for my fantasy loving brethren, read this book, you WILL NOT be disappointed. Now i'm about to start reading book five Princeps Fury, this looks to be another mind blowing chapter to this great Fantasy story.

I hope this review was helpful to you.
on 30 March 2010
fourth book in the codex alera and it gets better, things have moved on since book 3 , tavi has grown into the command of the first aleran and this seems to put a few noses out of joint, his identity is at last revealed as gaius octavian and the action begins, he has the usual group of loyal followers with him and ....... no i won`t tell you how it goes just read the book, jim butchers easy style and attention to detail makes this most enjoyable, just like the others,it can almost be read on its own but its worth reading the first three just to soak up the world he has created, well recomended !!!!!!
on 31 January 2015
I must admit these books wouldn't normally be to my taste, as there is alot of war and fighting, and alot of the books are taken up with strategy and war craft, but the story is so good and they are so well written that I've loved them. I would also recommend Jim Butchers other series of Harry Dresden books, they completely different but very very good.
on 15 January 2008
This series of books is fantastic from the way the characters a drawn to the settings they live in

yet it is nothing like the dresden books in such he could be a different authur completly writng them!!

buy the series they are up there with the best fantasy ever written
on 1 February 2013
For me,this is the best book so far.Butcher writes with an intimacy and empathy that few other authors can match,even in epic scenes he maintains a connection with his readers.I thought the dresden files was something,the codex alera series is something else.
on 18 November 2009
Another great read in the Codex Alera series from Jim Butcher. I couldn't put it down until I'd read to the end. As well as the usual ripping yarn as we follow Tavi's adventures we learn more about some of his history. As always I'm left itching for the next.
on 6 March 2013
Love the series and the idea of things having a 'spirit' or 'fury' that interacts with gifted people in this world, however managed to find a copy cheaper elsewhere so bought that.